Author Topic: Hiding and Proximity Spotting....  (Read 5675 times)

Offline WagesofSin

Hiding and Proximity Spotting....
« on: September 30, 2005, 05:46:47 AM »

A model cannot go into hiding if it is within 6" and LOS of an enemy model. Does this also apply to spotting a hidden model? That is, if I were to send my visible model to within 6" and LOS of a hidden model, will the hidden model be revealed? I can't seem to find anything in the rulebook that says it will be revealed, however it seems(at least in my opinion) a little awkward if it wouldn't be. That means I can walk up to within an inch of a hidden model, in the open, and still not be able to see it. If the hidden model were in cover, than ok, I can understand that. However I really have to suspend my disbelief if the hidden model is in the open and not spotted. I suppose both sides have their interpretations, I just want to know how to play it.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Hiding and Proximity Spotting....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:28:11 AM »
I think you can spot any model on the board that you have LOS to.  If you're within 6" of a false lead, that is automatically revealed, but not a hidden unit.  You'll have to use actions to spot it.  We assume models hiding say, in the desert, are lying flat, camouflaged, and ready to spring.  In open ground I can see how suspending disbelief is tough, but the system seems to be the most playable option.  It gives both the hidden models and their potential victims a chance.  That's how we've been playing it in my group, but I'm anxious to hear how others play this too.  Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 07:47:32 AM »
You may not go into Hide within 6" and LOS of an enemy model. Models with the Hunter SA automatically Spot Hidden models within 6", but otherwise a Hidden model at any distance must be Spotted to be attacked (assuming neither the Spotter nor the Hidden models have special rules otherwise).

You may attempt to Spot any Hidden model in LOS, but there is a -4 LD if the model is more than 12" away, and a further -4 if the model is in any sort of Cover. These are cumulative.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 07:49:07 AM by Southpaw »
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 08:21:39 AM »
Thanks!  I never remember those distances and leadership modifiers.  They haven't come into play on our 4' by 4' table to that degree.  Hide is one of those really cool abilities making units like the Crimson Blades truly dangerous. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 08:33:04 AM »
No problem. Glad to be of service.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline WagesofSin

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 08:52:38 AM »
Thanks for the explanation!