Author Topic: just for fun  (Read 19995 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: just for fun
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2006, 04:59:50 AM »
Here is the bitter pill about Vor:  the figures are still being produced.  They had gotten most of the armies developed until FASA went belly-up leaving it's creator in the lurch (don't know the full story but he and Wiz Kids can't seem to work out their difference-he probably doesn't want it turned into a cliky game).

I was going to do an article post on using growlers for Golems (dark, fire, ice, etc) because they are about the right size/shape and still being produced.  Azogars are easy enough to convert.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Heretyk

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2006, 05:13:01 AM »
Masher- I moved those thrice-damned molds.  Thom had most of the LoS stuff and at least a pallet of books (or so it seemed).

I do not know what happened to them.  When next I chat with him, I can ask.
If you can, please ask Thom about Nemesis. Maybe his answer will clear speculations about this (never released) new faction.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2006, 05:28:48 AM »
Here is the bitter pill about Vor:  the figures are still being produced.  They had gotten most of the armies developed until FASA went belly-up leaving it's creator in the lurch (don't know the full story but he and Wiz Kids can't seem to work out their difference-he probably doesn't want it turned into a cliky game).

I was going to do an article post on using growlers for Golems (dark, fire, ice, etc) because they are about the right size/shape and still being produced.  Azogars are easy enough to convert.

Yeah I know  :'(  there being made by iron wind metals....so sad they never get the rights to the rules(fun rules). Very kool armies.
Vor was the first wargame I threw some serious money into got like 4 armies for the game 3 are fully painted. Some of the models themselves make great proxies for warzone...union for cartel...neo soviets for dark legion.

the greatest game ever in my mind would have the armies for Warzone, Vor, Legion of steel with LOS background, Warzone
rules with a vor twist. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh pipe dream. :P
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2006, 05:31:48 AM »
Ah I remember those debates a bit...  Some very interesting stuff to be found amoong them too.

Masher- I moved those thrice-damned molds.  Thom had most of the LoS stuff and at least a pallet of books (or so it seemed).

man thats so sad.
hell I went though to find those minis. (thank god for topkick)
wonder if thom ever had plans for LOS. (beyond just the minis themselves)

Thom also had a new FAV made-  and he and I were talking about what faction should have it in the Mars book (mostly written at that time).

He wanted the Haus or Capitol.  I said the Mercs... and also reminded him of the Biker Gangs that inhabited the cities of Venus too.

Had that FAV come to life as a Merc unit, you could possibly have had your Dogs of War with Dune Buggies. :)  (There was talk of refining the Cartel/Merc lists... one of the ideas I had was making anything Merc-labled available as a pure support selection for any corp.  Never did bring that up to Thom...  something else to ask him if he would have been cool with.

*sigh*

what is a FAV?

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2006, 05:39:07 AM »
I like the idea of a Latin American addition, either purely South American, or a combination of South and Central American cultures...

B...
probably because I'm Mexican...I'm a little partial...

for some jungle rebels the Revolution is never over  :P
VIVA DARK EDEN!!!

Neo-Azteks could be kool...lots of hearts being cut out, clubs coated with razors, Jaguar warriors, lots of raw material for army design.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2006, 06:43:55 AM »

what is a FAV?

Fast Assault Vehicle, if I'm not mistaken.  Basically a Dunebuggy with a machinegun. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2006, 07:30:59 AM »
Ah I remember those debates a bit...  Some very interesting stuff to be found amoong them too.

man thats so sad.

Not too long before the end, Thom and I discused LoS and he cleared me to run demos and at Cons as a Crusader to see if there was interest in the game as a whole. If that study had gone off well he might have produced the game. As far as I know Mario Picotta had the sculpting rights but gave them up and Clarke Browning the Intellectual Rights for the rules but he gave free rein to anyone wnating to produce the game. Both Aaron Overton and Thom were keen on doing so which is how they got the molds and figs in the first place. Then the whole break-in controversy happened which in turn lead to the Troubles which preceded the Dark Times. Currently Clarke has appeared on the web occassionally talking abut a freeware version, but nothing yet.

Thom also had a new FAV made-  and he and I were talking about what faction should have it in the Mars book (mostly written at that time).

He wanted the Haus or Capitol.  I said the Mercs... and also reminded him of the Biker Gangs that inhabited the cities of Venus too.

Had that FAV come to life as a Merc unit, you could possibly have had your Dogs of War with Dune Buggies. :)  (There was talk of refining the Cartel/Merc lists... one of the ideas I had was making anything Merc-labled available as a pure support selection for any corp.  Never did bring that up to Thom...  something else to ask him if he would have been cool with.

*sigh*

what is a FAV?

Fast Assault Vehicle aka Fast Attack Vehicle
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2006, 07:34:05 AM »
...was called the Growlers. They were kinda a cross between oversized gorillas and rhinos.... Many of the fans would like to see the Growlers at the very least added to the Warzone universe.

personally, I donīt wish that aliens suddenly appear in the world (same with TAU, good models, but the "fluff" of there apearance, urg...)

sadly, I also donīt think that this kind of monster would fit. it looks too much DL and is too comic for a good faction without warp-effects expaining everything.

The various factions would either be fitted seamlessly into the universe or just the figs could  be incorporated into existing factions. The Growlers and Neo-Soviets for examples could be fitted into the Dark Legions as various uncompleted fig lines or as new units with the existing DL groups.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2006, 08:47:36 AM »

man thats so sad.

Not too long before the end, Thom and I discused LoS and he cleared me to run demos and at Cons as a Crusader to see if there was interest in the game as a whole. If that study had gone off well he might have produced the game. As far as I know Mario Picotta had the sculpting rights but gave them up and Clarke Browning the Intellectual Rights for the rules but he gave free rein to anyone wnating to produce the game. Both Aaron Overton and Thom were keen on doing so which is how they got the molds and figs in the first place. Then the whole break-in controversy happened which in turn lead to the Troubles which preceded the Dark Times. Currently Clarke has appeared on the web occassionally talking abut a freeware version, but nothing yet.

Oh soooo close :'(

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2006, 01:54:54 PM »

man thats so sad.

Oh soooo close :'(

Yet so far away... :P
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2006, 09:06:23 PM »

Okay, what breakin problem.I seem to be woefully in the dark on things.

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2006, 09:54:55 PM »
wmeredith -

Ancient History. Thom used to share office/warehouse space with Aaron Overton the man behind Shockforce. One weekend there was a break-in. Accusations flew and it got nasty. Aaron and Thom fell out over it. There were several flame wars over the whole thing on the forums and there are some who still nurture hatred over the whole thing. More than this will just stir it all up so I hope this is enough.

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2006, 07:35:33 AM »
Hello.

Okay I will leave that skeleton closeted. But did you do any more on nemisis?

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2006, 07:41:20 AM »
All I remember is that it was going to be a new race since from the story line Imperial were the 1st humans to explore Pluto and break the seal.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2006, 08:54:08 AM »
All I remember is that it was going to be a new race since from the story line Imperial were the 1st humans to explore Pluto and break the seal.

True enough - but there is a line from The Warriors that is so telling. Just as the Warriors are starting their run back to Coney Island, they outrun the Turnbull AC's and make the train. They are home free then the train is stopped by a fire. Everyone is talking about bad luck when the character "The Fox" makes the following statement - "Maybe we ought to worry about who set that G** D*** fire."

Before you ask just what the heck a 30 year old gang movie has to do with Warzone - put the question in game terms. You are an Imperial on Pluto and you find the First Seal of Repulsion. Instead of wondering what the seal is, the better question might be "Maybe we ought to worry about who set that G** D*** seal?"