Author Topic: Vehicle Fire and Move  (Read 9992 times)

Offline Enker

Vehicle Fire and Move
« on: September 29, 2005, 11:03:51 PM »
Vehicles can fire and move in one action, everybody knows.
But in which order?
First move than fire?
First fire than move?
If you can do both it would be unfair. You are in full cover go out and shot, then shot another time, than shot and hide again in full cover.
So the enemy has no chance to shot back, and you can make three shots and hide again.
My suggestion is, they fire and move at the same time.
How does this work? The vehicle must have LOS to its target during its whole movement!
In reality the vehicle would fire during the whole movement and not fire and than move or vice versa.
This would weaken the vehicles a little bit, which I think is good, because especially the single crewed vehicles are overpowered.
What do you think, and what is the official rule about the order?
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
Re: Vehicle Fire and Move
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 05:32:20 AM »
You can play it either way, either Move, then Fire, or Fire, then move.

So, that being the case, the scenario you described is perfectly legal.

Hardly unfair, though, it is the strong points of the single-crewed vehicle. They are doing exactly what they were designed to do, fast attack.

The vehicle is not required to have LOS to the target during the entire movement, only at which portion of the action the vehicle intends to Fire.

A squad of AR's, or even worse, a Rocket Launcher, on Wait, will take down a moving vehicle with regularity...so it is hardly unfair. It just requires some thought, some tactics, and some strategic application of firepower...
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 05:41:24 AM »
Additionally, if the "enemy" has units on wait, they could return fire...
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 10:18:59 AM »
If you can shoot me, I can shoot you.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 03:45:40 PM »
jjdodger is masterful in his use of the described tactic.  He uses his EDD to move/shoot, stand still,/shoot, then shoot/move.  This allows him to gain +3 to the EDD's RC on the second AC as it is not moving.  On the 3rd AC, he shoots first, then moves, but does not get the RC bonus as he decides before shooting that the EDD will move back into cover.  I call it the "Richard [sic] Dance."  It is perfectly legal and extremely frustrating when he catches my squad not WAITING for it.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 04:05:04 PM »
So yeah, Little Richard was cast in an upcoming Clint Eastwood movie,  however his ego was so big that when drafting the contract he included the stipulation that the title of the movie must referance him.  So look forward to the upcoming action cop drama "Dirty Little Dick"

and the followup remake of the eighties classic turned pseudo sequel from the same crew,

"Dirty Little Dick Dancing"

-PFC joe

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 04:20:06 PM »
So yeah, Little Richard was cast in an upcoming Clint Eastwood movie,  however his ego was so big that when drafting the contract he included the stipulation that the title of the movie must referance him.  So look forward to the upcoming action cop drama "Dirty Little Dick"

and the followup remake of the eighties classic turned pseudo sequel from the same crew,

-PFC joe

LMIAO! ;D
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 08:13:42 PM »
jjdodger is masterful in his use of the described tactic.  He uses his EDD to move/shoot, stand still,/shoot, then shoot/move.  This allows him to gain +3 to the EDD's RC on the second AC as it is not moving.  On the 3rd AC, he shoots first, then moves, but does not get the RC bonus as he decides before shooting that the EDD will move back into cover.  I call it the "Richard [sic] Dance."  It is perfectly legal and extremely frustrating when he catches my squad not WAITING for it.

jjdodger and I had an interesting battle between his EDD and my strike skimmer with a strike commando aboard< MHGs are really nice at a plus 3 :)> We put a hurting on each other before moving on to other easier to kill targets.

BTW that brings up an interesting question.. Are the EDD and other "walker" type vehicles affexted by terrain limitations ie water which restrict movement for other units? I know they can step over some things but this questions came up and Id just like a clarification. Thanks
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 01:31:02 AM »
The water terrain penalty would have to be agreed upon before game  ie when assigning cover ratings to terrain pieces.

Generally I'd just halve movement if the water could be considered "deep" ie a size 2 model would consider it rough terrain.  Limiting terrain the Walker (we are talking about Hurricanes and EDD's right?) just ignores for the most part.

-PFC joe

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 02:21:34 PM »
I disgaree with you Joe (no, seriously).  I believe that walkers should be limited by water to half-MV unless they're able to step across/over the obstacle.  Usually, there is muck and other unstable ground under water, and I feel that these should come into play.

As for agreeing to these rules before-game, what are you - logical, or something?  ;)

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »
I'm thinking of those resin terrain pieces that are babbling creeks.  I'd have a hard time saying that a two inch wide idyllic creek would hold up a walking warmachine.  Open water, lakes and rivers all would deffinatly halve movement.  Really it just needs to be agreed upon beforehand, like it says to do in the book right after the description of terrain types.

-PFC joe

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 08:33:58 AM »
Really it just needs to be agreed upon beforehand, like it says to do in the book right after the description of terrain types.
As for agreeing to these rules before-game, what are you - logical, or something? ;)

Foil?  Sycophantic? Disturbing? Hilarious that we agree on a written, obvious rule and there's nothing for which to choose sides?  ;)

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 04:24:03 AM »
I agree with Dave unless the vehicle is a flyer or skimmer it should be effected by water.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 04:30:28 PM »

-PFC joe

You sir, are a sick and twisted individual.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 04:53:05 PM »
You Sir, are right.