Author Topic: Devout w/o Soul Flayer  (Read 17822 times)

Offline Mark Theurer

• Fictional Reality
Re: Devout w/o Soul Flayer
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 03:39:15 PM »
Of coures, bringing two of the big sista's is just over the top.  Only done that once and just demolished my opponent.  Felt kinda bad after the game.  Didn't lose one model on my side of the table and trashed everything on his side.  That's when we threw in our house rule to balance games.  No more than a single 'copy' of any individual who's cost is 10% or more of your entire army.  That way, no more than 1 SF allowed in a 1000 point game.    Of course, without support, she is fairly easy to take down.  I always try to keep my big girl close to a unit or more of Blood Hunters or Demon Wings.

Mark

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 01:19:21 PM »
I think there should be only one SF per 1000 points allowed. After many games played i can say that figure is abit over the top. In a tournament taking devout and 2 soulflayers is probably a 90% win.
At least thats my experince with her (i only use mine for the showcase and play most of my devout games with the other big beasties).
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 12:49:55 PM »
I would enjoy playing my Dwarves against 2 Soul Flayers.  It would probably be many defeats before I got a victory, but how sweet would that be?  If I knew that's what was going on the board I would have 4 Impalers.  That might grant a shot at bringing them down. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Mark Theurer

• Fictional Reality
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 02:33:05 AM »
4 Impalers would scare me, but you're units would have to be pretty thin to support those four Individual slots right?  That is, of course, if I'm remembering right that they are individuals.  Anyway, you would certainly get some good target practice in on the big chicksta's.  The problem with four Impalers, in my opinion, is that it's less versatile than 2 Soul Flayers in a tournament setting.  The two big ladies are just all around bad-ass and I think are pretty adaptable.  Against a heavy infantry force I think that the Impalers lose some effectiveness.

Mark

dagorauk

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 08:02:43 AM »
This is why probably one of the best ways to better the Soul Flayers is with Viridian Lords. 8" thrown axe for 15 DAM. Come and try it you airborne wenches!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 09:50:02 AM »
@Mark--you're right.  I would never put that many Impalers on the board for a tournament.  If I had an opponent in a match where I knew 2 Soul Flayers were coming, then I'd definitely bust'em out.  They're 60 points each, and if I don't waste points on Wolf Clan Scouts, I will have enough foot troops to hang on.  It's no guarantee, but I think it's winnable.  Cheers.

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 01:14:27 PM »
I have palyed against the dwarves with two soulkflayers, and they were able to bring both of them to the ground.  They die just like any other mini,once on the ground they are easy targets. Those stinin Bloodbones just hit so hard and with the aide of darktusk allies they were an awesome force, and routed my Devout force.
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 05:44:09 AM »
I play Blood-Bones and Wolf Clan, and your post gives me pride Morf.  The one battle I played the Devout was a victory for my guys, but the dreaded Soul Flayer did not make an appearance. 

What most of the army ideas show on this forum is that any army can potentially beat any other army, with good play, and good dice rolling.  I'm usually 0 for 2.  Cheers.