Author Topic: Wake of a Funeral Barge  (Read 23288 times)

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Wake of a Funeral Barge
« on: November 02, 2006, 09:50:26 AM »
     I got this scenario idea while thumbing thru the BIG BOOK.  I always thought that the Funeral Barge was a cool idea and have always wanted to wotk it into a sceario(once I or somebody else had a Devout army).  I just "aquired" (my poor empty wallet) a decent Devout force so here goes.

STORYLINE:

The Devout are moving a Funeral Barge(actually a 6"x9" box that I got some minis in) to an old battle site on a "recruiting drive".  With the barge, acting as pallbearers ;D, is a force of devout who will defend this prize to the grave, and beyond.  No race would miss an oppurtunity to disable or destroy such a valuable Devout warmachine.

GOALS:

Devout:  Move the barge form one side of table to the other.

Opponent(s):  Diable the barge(inflict wounds, or kill Necromancer) and destroy Devout "pallbearers".

WARBOARD SETUP:

Barge will start 9" out in the center on one side(this will allow barge to cross board in 10 turns).  Deployment zone for devout will be 6" in front and behind barge as well as 3" to either side.  Opponent(s) deployment zone(s) will be any or all the other sides(all other deployment rules still apply).  barge must have a clear path in front to the opposite edge of warboard.  Other than that terrain is to be setup by opponent(must leave atleast 3" to either side of barge).

FORCE(S) SETUP:

Devout: 750 pts. (besides Necromancer on barge, see below).
                   Funeral Barge-Necromancer(must spend one action a turn to control barge and keep it moving).  Player may place pieces on barge and are considered in command distance while on barge. The Barge moves 3"a turn(1st action of necromancer), The Necromancer cannot leave barge unless disabled.

Opponent(s): 1000 pts.

NOTES: 1 action to climb aboard barge.  Barge "hovers" 1" above ground. Barge immune to missle weapons.

I could really use some advice on this one.  I'm thinking of using this scenario in a couple of weeks when we FINALLY get to play a game!  I would like some stat suggestions for the barge, although I had thought of just making the goal to kill the Necromancer which would stop the barge in its tracks, but I would still like to get stats for it to use later ;D.  I also thought of using a "breath weapon"(see picture in book) that would use a template (maybe balefire?), that would cost the Necro an action and do 8 dam, if model dies it rises as risen next turn.
     I really like this idea and would like to make it work(and be fare).  I would like to base a couple of battles around this; Devout attempt to recapture barge, another ambush, etc.

Thanks

Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Wake of a Funeral Barge
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:58:42 AM »
First - Allow me give you some Karma action for this bodaciously cool idea.

Second - Let me get my hands on my Chronopia book to read the fluff text about the barge so I have a clear idea of what it is you re trying to recreate and then I promise to give you some input that you can either accept or reject. It sounds as if the scenario would be a modified version of the Convoy scenario that was included in the Crusader packet and in the Ultimate Warzone book.

Third - PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!! let me use this scenario in the future possibly at Origins. I like it and think it has major coolnes potential as a scenario.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 10:08:53 AM »
very kool idea
I like this one alot.
great scenario for my dark stars to be in. 8)

as far as stats go, in the main book it gives stats for buildings. treat it like a moving building
I would use the stats for a Stonebuilding...make one building our serval connecting building (depending how big you want it and how hard you want this scenario to be). that should work...at least in theory  ;)
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:13:24 AM »
very kool idea
I like this one alot.
great scenario for my dark stars to be in. 8)

as far as stats go, in the main book it gives stats for buildings. treat it like a moving building
I would use the stats for a Stonebuilding...make one building our serval connecting building (depending how big you want it and how hard you want this scenario to be). that should work...at least in theory  ;)

And karma to you too bubba - I been toying with a scenario on the high seas but wasn't sure how to treat the ships. Floating buildings works better than trying to come up with "Vehicle Stats" for sailing ships and galleys. It amazes me sometimes that I go for the hard road when the answer is already in the book.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:15:35 AM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 10:23:27 AM »

And karma to you too bubba - I been toying with a scenario on the high seas but wasn't sure how to treat the ships. Floating buildings works better than trying to come up with "Vehicle Stats" for sailing ships and galleys. It amazes me sometimes that I go for the hard road when the answer is already in the book.

Thank you.
I was always in owe by sheer amount of gaming material in the main rule book. Buildings, jumping, climbing, falling, enviromental, etc etc. All great stuff ripe for crazy gaming goodness

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 10:29:13 AM »
      @Topkick- thanks for the cudos(and the karma ;D).  You can use the scenario any time you like, and using it @ a convention would make me grin from ear to ear ;).  As far as fluff for the Barge, all that I can remember is that necromancers ride on them(think that is in Devout fluff in 1st edition) and what the caption says below the picture of one on p161 in the  BIG BOOK(2nd edition).  I'm going to name mine the "S.S. BONEYARD".  
     Another idea for one in a scenario is a raid in force.  Have a Barge docked next to a fort or something and the opponent needs to inflict enough wounds to destroy it and get away.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:34:02 AM »
Among the options I am thinking is a nonstandard one - The Necromancer has captured someone important alive and plans to take him back for questioning by the Devout Lord of your choice. The raiders have to get on the barge, free the prisoner, and then escape.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 10:40:18 AM »
     Yeah, I thought about using stats for building, that was my intention(did I not mention that,oops, need to edit better :-[).  I've got some notes on a Ship-to-ship scenario I messed around with years ago(with deck plans) I need to dig out and review.  I will review the "building" rules and try to hammer something out.  I was thinking of adding SA magic resistance to the barge to make it a tough nut to crack.  I just like the idea of one being swarmed by a buch of attackers hacking away at it 9sort of like thoose stupid ewoks banging away on the imperial walker).

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 11:31:48 AM »
Love the idea.  Don't knock the Ewoks!  DogOWar is bringing some fresh creativity to our board, and his karma will reflect it.  I've got a Devout army, so when the details are put down, I'll play this scenario at home.  You can bet on it.

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 10:08:22 AM »
     Still haven't had a chance to knock together stats just yet.  I did pick up a few things to make the Funeral Barge, it'll be a cross between a a twisted parade float and the deathmobile in "Animal House".  I need to find a buch of little bones and skulls to stick all over it :), have to try some place that has jewelry parts. 

I'm still not sure about points.  Since the devout will be in essence defending a slow moving target, and opponent(s) will be able to attack from 3 sides I'm kind of leaning towards just making this a 1200 vs 900 pt. contest.  I will most likely be facing 2 opponents (Firstborn and Crystal Lotus) so should make for an interesting game.  We will probably run this scenario sometime in Dec. and I keep posting as it develops.

As always if anybody has any suggestion(s), I'm all ears, or eyes as I have to read it ;D

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 11:30:25 AM »
Get a box of undead skeletons from GW on Ebay. Lots of skeltal bits for not a lot of money if you can find them on the cheap-cheap. Also talk to your local game store - there are a few companies that make skull markers or small skull jewelry beads.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 06:19:35 PM »

I'm still not sure about points.  Since the devout will be in essence defending a slow moving target, and opponent(s) will be able to attack from 3 sides I'm kind of leaning towards just making this a 1200 vs 900 pt. contest.  I will most likely be facing 2 opponents (Firstborn and Crystal Lotus) so should make for an interesting game.  We will probably run this scenario sometime in Dec. and I keep posting as it develops.

As always if anybody has any suggestion(s), I'm all ears, or eyes as I have to read it ;D

try equal points.
have the attackers get surprise turn or 2, "AMBUSH", where they get act freely.
or have it a night time raid where night fighting makes range attacks hard.
these should work to the benefit of the attackers..of course I'm thinking the fighting is happening on the ship itself.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 07:56:19 PM »

I'm still not sure about points.  Since the devout will be in essence defending a slow moving target, and opponent(s) will be able to attack from 3 sides I'm kind of leaning towards just making this a 1200 vs 900 pt. contest.  I will most likely be facing 2 opponents (Firstborn and Crystal Lotus) so should make for an interesting game.  We will probably run this scenario sometime in Dec. and I keep posting as it develops.

try equal points.
have the attackers get surprise turn or 2, "AMBUSH", where they get act freely.
or have it a night time raid where night fighting makes range attacks hard.
these should work to the benefit of the attackers..of course I'm thinking the fighting is happening on the ship itself.
    This is where I'm getting hung up.  If I use the picture on p.161, the scale would only hold one or two warbands at most and the others would be deployed around the perimeter of the barge.  On the other hand I could scrp that Idea and go for a bigger barge and have all the fighting take place on it.  I like both ideas and I am thinking of doing both.  

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 08:45:09 PM »
First - Allow me give you some Karma action for this bodaciously cool idea.

Second - Let me get my hands on my Chronopia book to read the fluff text about the barge so I have a clear idea of what it is you re trying to recreate and then I promise to give you some input that you can either accept or reject. It sounds as if the scenario would be a modified version of the Convoy scenario that was included in the Crusader packet and in the Ultimate Warzone book.

Third - PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!! let me use this scenario in the future possibly at Origins. I like it and think it has major coolnes potential as a scenario.

I dug out my Warzone book and the "Convoy" scenario would be perfect!  Thanks Topkick ;D.  Now I just need stats and to mock up a model and I'll be able to put this puppy to bed.  

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 01:54:58 AM »
This is where I'm getting hung up.  If I use the picture on p.161, the scale would only hold one or two warbands at most and the others would be deployed around the perimeter of the barge.  On the other hand I could scrp that Idea and go for a bigger barge and have all the fighting take place on it.  I like both ideas and I am thinking of doing both.  

I don't see the barge as a transport vessel. It is only the "tool" a Necromancer uses to move about great distances to raise the dead. I think the barge as a whole channels the power of the Necromancer like some giant magical power focus. A thing you should think about is, the barge should invoke horror or dread at least.

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.