Author Topic: Fear clarification if you please!  (Read 6014 times)

Offline WagesofSin

Fear clarification if you please!
« on: September 29, 2005, 03:11:59 PM »
   I am confused by the wording in the rulebook on fear. It says that when a model enters the 4" radius of fear, the whole UNIT must take a morale check. However, on the rest of the explanation it keeps refering to the target of fear as MODELS and not Units. So which is it? Is everyone effected by fear or just individual  models?

I assume the entire unit is effected but the rulebook keeps using the word "model" instead of "unit" and it's got me bewildered!

For example, in the section where it lists the various effects depending on your morale roll, a "Success" lists:

pg.77(underlines mine)

"The model successfully resists the effects of fear and may act as normal.The model does not have to make a morale check to resist fear from the model for the remainder of the game.

This contradicts the part in the top paragraph where it states that the whole unit must test against fear. Also, what about a unit with multiple fear causing units such as Blackblood ogres? Do I treat the ogre unit as a single "source" of fear or does each ogre model count as a different "source" of fear(and, therefore, causing a great many deal of fear checks)?

My contention is that there seems to be no ruling on what to do with whole units that cause fear(a la the BB ogres above) and having the whole chapter refer to "models" when instead it should read "units" is confusing.

Any help appreciated!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
Re: Fear clarification if you please!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 06:20:48 PM »
When a Warband takes a Fear test, they either pass or fail as a unit.

When an entire Warband causes Fear, they are treated as one source of Fear for purposes of determining Morale.

So, in your Firstborn vs. Ogre scenario, the first Ogre to reach the Firstborn causes a Fear check. If they pass, they need not test for any additional Ogres in that particular Warband.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions, or need any additional information.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline WagesofSin

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 05:30:58 AM »
Thanks, that's what I thought I should do. I just wasn't sure.

Just to clarify, using the same example as above, if the swordsmen are overcome by fear, they will only stop fearing if ALL of the swordsmen get away from any radius of fear generated by the ogres, correct? So even if one swordsman is within the radius of fear while the unit is under fear effects, then the Whole unit will be afraid of the ogres, even if the rest of the warband members are not within the fear radius of the ogres.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 06:29:26 AM »
Sounds right.  You gotta get everybody out of the radius. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 06:33:47 AM »
Thanks, that's what I thought I should do. I just wasn't sure.

Just to clarify, using the same example as above, if the swordsmen are overcome by fear, they will only stop fearing if ALL of the swordsmen get away from any radius of fear generated by the ogres, correct? So even if one swordsman is within the radius of fear while the unit is under fear effects, then the Whole unit will be afraid of the ogres, even if the rest of the warband members are not within the fear radius of the ogres.

Yep. If the Swordsmen fail their test, they will continue to be subject to Fear until all of them are out of the Fear radius.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline WagesofSin

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 06:37:52 AM »
Great.

Thanks!