Author Topic: Targeting Muzzle Flashes  (Read 7790 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Targeting Muzzle Flashes
« on: October 28, 2006, 07:24:09 PM »
In targeting muzzle flashes does targeting priority still apply?

Examples:
  • Enemy at 35" fires,  but, a friendly model fired from 28" away.  Does the firing model know which flash is friendly, and which is not, due to the visibility of night (12")?
  • Enemy models that did not fire are at 13" - must they be targeted, ignoring muzzle flashes that are farther away, nullifying any shot?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
Re: Targeting Muzzle Flashes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 07:34:25 AM »
In targeting muzzle flashes does targeting priority still apply?

Examples:
  • Enemy at 35" fires,  but, a friendly model fired from 28" away.  Does the firing model know which flash is friendly, and which is not, due to the visibility of night (12")?
  • Enemy models that did not fire are at 13" - must they be targeted, ignoring muzzle flashes that are farther away, nullifying any shot?

I believe that targetting priority still takes precedence, because you can still see them (it's dark, probably not pitch black)...

You might be able to suspend this rule if you're playing in a cavern (Mercury), in which you have cave darkness...

B...
do I shoot at the HMG back there or at the Bushido Samurai bearing down on me?...decisions, decisions...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 08:30:27 AM »
In the game machanics you know where your friendly troops are and LOS is 12" or less in NF rules so you could target the mussle flash or move forward and target the squad that is now in LOS and with alot less penalties.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 11:32:07 AM »
Ok heres the situation that this question developed from.

A Cybertronic PV Sniper wants to fire at muzzle flashes< night fight rules obviously>. Along the general corridor of fire <Not LOS because he cant "see" past 12"> there was a CC skirmish between Mirrormen and Sunset Strikers <approx 24" from the sniper>. Coming off of wait a Sunset striker LMG <approx 36" from sniper> fires at a Mirrorman. The sniper wants to fire at the LMG stating that he could tell the difference between his guys< that he cant see, but which has fired> and my LMG.

I felt that due to target priority he has to fire at the closest muzzle flash even if he doesnt know if its his own unit or not.

Thoughts?
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 11:52:46 AM »
well..

you could assume that they know where there troops are...

cybertronic fluff supports accurate communication and coordination..

I would assume, even without comm link that would be accurate enough.

also, the mussle-flash might be weapon specific...

cuīs
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 12:03:35 PM »
As stated above in UWZ you know where your own troops are and yes he could target the MF of the LMG unless there was a Sunset Striker that had fired a weapon closer than the LMG than target priority would come into play, but yes he knows where his men are. I know it sounds stupid but thats the way it is unless the rules are changed.
Being a sniper he could also spend an action to aim and get a free TS shift of target.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »
Bryon I'am assuming the SS was from a different squad seeing he's about 12" from the CC otherwise he's way out of command distance. There is a -2 to CD in NF rules.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
Bryon I'am assuming the SS was from a different squad seeing he's about 12" from the CC otherwise he's way out of command distance. There is a -2 to CD in NF rules.
Acutally He was the same squad. The reason the LMG was so far away was that they were all on wait and used their wait to countercharge the attacking Mirrormen, so they moved forward to stop the charge.< The Strikers also had Com Units to negate the NF CD penalty>. Also The LMG only moved 3"< laterally> after deployment and went on wait, the rest of the Strikers deployed in front of the LMG and moved forward 6". I hope that explains the distance.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 02:55:41 PM »
I would think that the SS LMG would be the target using the target priority rules (which I think do take precedence in this situation)

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 05:04:04 PM »
Actually the situation resolved itself. There was a light infantry grunt closer that had fired in the round, so he ended up being the target.

It just brought up an interesting point about not being able to tell what you are shooting at because you cant see it and what happens.
My feeling is that you would take the shot at the closest muzzle flash outside of 12". If you happen to hit, and that model is yours you should take the AR save. A soldier wouldnt take a shot when he isnt sure of who he is shooting at but if he does the consequences should stand.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 05:38:23 PM »
I enjoy playing games with Bryon (PhillySniper), Jeff (jjdodger), and the rest of the crew around here, as it always sees new strategies and new questions.  We are, constantly, going to the rulebook, and learning, at the same time.

If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 04:09:11 PM »
I believe that targetting priority still takes precedence, because you can still see them (it's dark, probably not pitch black)...

Actually, for all intents and purposes, it is dark enough to block LOS, much like an intervening wall would block.  Anything beyond 12" cannot be seen.  Muzzle flashes produce light, which can be  seen, if there is no intervening terrain.  So, the question remains; does the firing model know friendly flashes from enemy flashes?

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 01:52:47 PM »
any updates?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 02:27:02 PM »
The answer is yes you know the differance between friendly and enemy.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 02:33:19 PM »
The answer is yes you know the differance between friendly and enemy.

Can't agree - Too many people have died from friendly fire to accept this arguement
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890