Author Topic: Off-board Artillery  (Read 10041 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Off-board Artillery
« on: October 28, 2006, 06:12:23 PM »
If the spot marked (by the chit) is, subsequently after placing it,  blocked by an intervening model, does the Forward Observer still have LOS to the chit (a requirement for the Mission to take effect)?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Halfbad

Re: Off-board Artillery
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 06:40:13 PM »
I would assume so, he has marked the spot already, the unfortunete model is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 07:06:24 PM »
An intervening model would block LOS for shot - why would it not block LOS for off-board artillery? (Yeah, I am playing Devil's Advocate - I happen to agree with you, Halfbad.)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 10:43:17 PM »
even if it is cruel: a laser painted object and a blocking thing in between suddenly -> lost painting..

if a person walking throught the laser should break the painting, I guess not. but a 3 m fat monster half between spotter and object, perhaps.

All this rule problemns need to go to the faq! also the nightvison/target priority/... problems!

what about the polish fraction: how many rule-holes did you find/what is your solution? is there a polish FAQ?
is there a translation?
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Pietia

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 12:17:00 AM »
Aldrien - there is a translation and a FAQ. The last time I checked our FAQ had over 120 positions not covered by the english one. The translation has been modified to include US and Polish FAQ rulings known at the time of translation.
As for our ruling on fire missions - intervening models block LOS for this purpose.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 03:17:54 AM »
hey, could ya get me a link to the Polish FAQ?

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem præparet bellum

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 08:40:11 AM »
Please i'd like that link too. I personal never liked the new OBA rules it requires a large force to even have. 6 squads, 3 general officers and a force commander.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 11:15:58 AM »
Please i'd like that link too. I personal never liked the new OBA rules it requires a large force to even have. 6 squads, 3 general officers and a force commander.

I've played in a game that size in which we had off-board artillery, and let me tell you, it really affected the game...

I guess that I don't mind that you need a large force to do it, but maybe not a force that large...

Plus, some armies (Mishima) have a real problem fielding 3 general officers because most of the officers are named characters...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 01:38:31 PM »

Plus, some armies (Mishima) have a real problem fielding 3 general officers because most of the officers are named characters...

B...

I believe that any maodel that has the "Commander" skill is an "officer."

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 02:58:35 PM »

but does that count for unit commanders?...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 04:25:38 PM »

but does that count for unit commanders?...

B...

Yes - Look up the skill:  Commander (There are three types - Unit, Divisional, and Force)

Offline Pietia

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 05:55:58 AM »
hey, could ya get me a link to the Polish FAQ?

-PFC joe
Yes, I can:
http://wargamer.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2295
The FAQ has been edited recently - only 109 positions now...

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 06:18:37 AM »
oh kaaayyy...

could you also post the link to the translated polish faq??  :)

-> have a look at the forum-faq-team thread also!

united faq´s would cover a lot, the now non-evolving system would soon be compleatly faq-ed, something that would make all happy!
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Toshiro

• Journeyman
    • Czech Warzone
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 08:40:33 AM »
In Czech Republic we play Fire Missons this way:

Guy who spots the place have to have LOS only to the part of potential template (not the spoted center)

- It doesn't make sense that one model would block the orbital bombardment (and it would make the fire mission not playable at all)

(Ad polish rules: One Czech player played Fire missions with Muawijhe on Polish Championship - he asked some judges and they gave him different answers (one model can block / one model can't block) - finaly it was decided that one model block LOS ://)

Offline Heretyk

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 05:03:01 AM »
oh kaaayyy...

could you also post the link to the translated polish faq??  :)

-> have a look at the forum-faq-team thread also!

united faq´s would cover a lot, the now non-evolving system would soon be compleatly faq-ed, something that would make all happy!
Probably we won't translate it. This would end up in total chaos. Players would storm this boards backing their rulings with the polish FAQ, which was written with polish UWZ translation in mind.
(Ad polish rules: One Czech player played Fire missions with Muawijhe on Polish Championship - he asked some judges and they gave him different answers (one model can block / one model can't block) - finaly it was decided that one model block LOS ://)
And the judge was right. LOS means a line between two objects. No line, no LOS. The rules are clear on this one - "If there are no FO in LOS of the target during the next round, the communication link is considered broken, and the strike aborted." (p.58). The template of the off-board artillery can't be considered as a "target". Read this section in the rulebook again.