Author Topic: LARP Horror Stories  (Read 19859 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
LARP Horror Stories
« on: October 26, 2006, 05:27:19 AM »
The post about cons going down the toilet have made me think of countless LARP stores.

A friend was at a con where Vampire was being played.  One player was walking along and decided to go invisible so crossed her arms while walking in the middle of a crowded hall.  A non-player who was familiar with the mechanics saw this and immdediately started screaming "Oh my God-That person just dissapeared!" at the top of his lungs.  A game judge (not sure if that is the proper nomenclature) saw all this and the player was penalized for showing their powers off in public.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: LARP Horror Stories
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:45:49 AM »
ok this story is going to be hard one to swallow....I'll try to be brief.

Vampire larp.
The werewolfs and Vampires are meeting in the park to make peace.
           this was sabbat game (evil vampires). they wented to make peace ??? ok whatever ???
              (for those who know the game..this kinda of impossible with sabbat vampires)               

so my group of evil vampires are against this (someone has to be diffcult might as well be me)
one member in my group has a millitary heilcopter fully loaded  ::) Ok thats a little wacky but hell it works to our favor. Judges gave to him during character  gen. (I wouldnt have done that but hey)

we fly over the park. we see everybody in one tight cluster. we have naplam ::) ok wacky but hell its to our favor. we turn to the judge whos watching all this, my finger is on the button. I tell said judge I'm pressing the button. He tells me no :o  I said yes I am. he said no. I ask is something broken, mind powers, what???
he simiple didnt want us to do it so he just no we cant. ::)  I think his friends were in the park :-\
Man, I just sat back thinking I spent money on this.

after this seriously flawed series of game judgement calls I could never take the game seriously again.
shame it started really well...think the game quickly crumbled after this.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 05:47:43 AM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:51:45 AM »
Most of my problems with LARPS (boffer LARPS, mostly) is that you see characters being played, that in a normal setting would be either complete sociopaths or total cowards.

Examples:

Killing a PC in order to cut open his body and search for signs evil corruption.  No signs were found, so they raised him and were surprised when his character was ****ed off at them. (Like surprised to the point of exchanging heated words OOC)

Raising the entire town (About 25 combat ready PCs) to combat 5 lowly kobolds. (had I known they were going to do this, I would have sent another NPC into the "Inn" to set a bomb)

Asking everyone to "arm wrestle" so they could find out their strength stat.  And getting angry when you refused.

Blatant cheating.

Talking about how tough and awesome they are at fighting, then complaining when you wallop them really hard in the back... for 2 damage.

General Asshattery, really.

I just really hate boffer LARPs.  If I wanted to hit people with stuff, I'd join the SCA.

"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 05:53:39 AM »

we fly over the park. we see everybody in one tight cluster. we have naplam ::) ok wacky but hell its to our favor. we turn to the judge whos watching all this, my finger is on the button. I tell said judge I'm pressing the button. He tells me no :o  I said yes I am. he said no. I ask is something broken, mind powers, what???
he simiple didnt want us to do it so he just no we cant. ::)  I think his friends were in the park :-\

What did he expect when he game you a MILITARY CHOPPER!?!?

Like an Apache?

Were you just gonna give people helicoptor tours?

If you give me a minigun in a game, expect me to use it!
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 05:59:50 AM »

What did he expect when he game you a MILITARY CHOPPER!?!?

Like an Apache?

Were you just gonna give people helicoptor tours?

If you give me a minigun in a game, expect me to use it!

thats my thinking.
Sad part they missed a chance to have a great story element injected to their game.
a unforseen naplam attack at the vampire/werewolf powwow by millitary chopter man the chaos that would cause, game plots that could come for that....sad loss.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:04:44 AM by masherking »

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 06:05:26 AM »
See, that's the catch.  As much as I love RPGs, and I really like the concept of LARPS, they really attract far too many dumb-asses.

If I ever ran one, I'd have a very strict attendance policy.  Yes, I know it sounds elitist and snobby, but I'd rather have 10 people in total who had a really good time, then let 1 dumb-ass show up who could ruin it.  Even if 100 dumb-asses would put more money in my pocket, it would be dirty money.  At least to me.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 06:11:28 AM »
See, that's the catch.  As much as I love RPGs, and I really like the concept of LARPS, they really attract far too many dumb-asses.

If I ever ran one, I'd have a very strict attendance policy.  Yes, I know it sounds elitist and snobby, but I'd rather have 10 people in total who had a really good time, then let 1 dumb-ass show up who could ruin it.  Even if 100 dumb-asses would put more money in my pocket, it would be dirty money.  At least to me.

I played years of larps.
I totally agree with you.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:14:09 AM by masherking »

Halfbad

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 06:27:17 AM »
I was head ST for a vampire/werewolf larp for 5 years or so, and all it got me was two horrible relationships, grey hair and 20 lbs gained from crappy late night Dennys.

Dont do it, I have so many stories I won't even begin to put them here.

Last I heard, they were still playing the same game.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 06:41:30 AM »
heres a boffer larp story.

so my group and I are fighting the fey lord( not as gay as you would think..these humps were badass)
heres the trick he can only be killed by the magic sword. he needed to be hit 3 times. each time by a different person :o  

long story short.  The Fey Lord appears in town offers a gobblet of Gold (its was alot of gold) for our heads.
Hearing this at the last miniute we rush to hide in the woods. Its raining, cold, some of us (inculding me) are in our underwear ( we were changing when we got word). knowing the town would kill their own mother for a sliver piece we just ran!  and the only weapon we have was the magic sword.

Fey lord never left the Inn.
The town goes off to look for us.
it was now or never.

We rush the Inn. the fey lord hit squad was me, JR and chris. First chris rushs the lord "hit!" he toss the sword to JR.  JR moves in "HIT!" he toss the sword over his shoulder and ducks out of the way I grab it in mid leap and swing "HIT!".....Fey lord stumbles and disappears. At this point we all are on cold nine thinking we did the impossible (the Fey lord player supposely was a good fighter). A moment later we hear him talking to the judge saying we never got 3 hits in  >:(

What the hell???? we new for a fact we did!!!
we never got credit for the kill. Judges let the story roll our way (they knew what happen).
But to think because of one players pride we didnt get our moment in the sun :'(

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 06:42:33 AM »
I was head ST for a vampire/werewolf larp for 5 years or so, and all it got me was two horrible relationships, grey hair and 20 lbs gained from crappy late night Dennys.

Share the stories
and start to heal those old wounds :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:24:58 AM by masherking »

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 08:50:04 AM »
Was in a Vampire LARP based off the old heredity/environment question. Two ancient and powerful Vampires brought Sabbat, Camarilla and Independent vampires to a town on a bet to see how vampire society would develop. I played low key and everyone thought I was on thier side so when a coucil was formed I was made sheriff. The Sabbat players were dragging as but risking the masquerade and the Prince was getting on my nerves so I killed the Prince, helped a buddy become the new Prince and then called in an Archon to settle the ensuing dispute. To solve it all he gives the test of truth, he gives a test of truth and that is when everyone finds out I am Caitiff. - ****ed off several LARP'ers that night. Game was looking good but THEN............

Girl playing the Prince that got wacked turned up at a game with her lawyer. Sued me, my buddy and the Story-teller because she had emotional distress over being staked and left for the Sabbat to devour. Papers stated she had told the Storyteller that she had emotional problems and that she could not suffer the emotional trauma of being staked. I was sued because my plan was so evil and twisted that it was considered depraved indifference.

Long story short - Judge refused to hear the case, she paid for filing a frivolous lawsuit and I NEVER went near another LARP.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 08:59:02 AM »
Was in a Vampire LARP based off the old heredity/environment question. Two ancient and powerful Vampires brought Sabbat, Camarilla and Independent vampires to a town on a bet to see how vampire society would develop. I played low key and everyone thought I was on thier side so when a coucil was formed I was made sheriff. The Sabbat players were dragging as but risking the masquerade and the Prince was getting on my nerves so I killed the Prince, helped a buddy become the new Prince and then called in an Archon to settle the ensuing dispute. To solve it all he gives the test of truth, he gives a test of truth and that is when everyone finds out I am Caitiff. - ****ed off several LARP'ers that night. Game was looking good but THEN............

Girl playing the Prince that got wacked turned up at a game with her lawyer. Sued me, my buddy and the Story-teller because she had emotional distress over being staked and left for the Sabbat to devour. Papers stated she had told the Storyteller that she had emotional problems and that she could not suffer the emotional trauma of being staked. I was sued because my plan was so evil and twisted that it was considered depraved indifference.

Long story short - Judge refused to hear the case, she paid for filing a frivolous lawsuit and I NEVER went near another LARP.

WOW!!
I was asked to leave a game for being to evil but never sued.
you sir have "one up'ed" me  :P

Halfbad

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 09:04:59 AM »

Share the stories
at start to heal those old wounds :P

Ok, here are a couple off of the top of my head:

We were running a scene at one of the locations that we played at, and in this game we had allowed the use of neon prop pistols, as long as they were toy guns that looked NOTHING like the real thing, orange, ray guns, whatever. It was an optional rule, and after running a giant mob combat, we went back inside the "bar" to mop up the scene socially. The next thing we know, three cruisers show up, and the local law enforcement are there wanting to know why they got a report of suspicious activity.

Cop: What are you people doing, why are you all dressed up like that?  Is this some kind of cult or something?
Player A: It is something.

Needless to say I had to call game early, and give a statement, and explain the game, showing the rulebook and discussing it with the police. They really never left us alone after that, driving by slow and flashing lights, etc. Luckily we moved location. It was a pretty crappy night, and we learned our lesson with prop weapons, as well as talking back to police.

The second story is the better one:

We were running a scene in the student union at UMASS, and there was a mob of people there. One player, notorious for cheating, kept throwing late on his r.p.s. throws, really aggrivating the judge and ****ing off the other players.One player in particluar said, "If you keep trying to cheat, I am going to kick you in the face", we corrected him and said no one is kicking anyone, and the scene went on. Player A kept throwing late/cheating, and player B calmly got on a chair, then on the desk, and kicked player A in the face with size 12 Doc Martens. The kid goes down, eyes rolled back in his head. BAM

We crap our pants (the staff) grab the kid, forcibly ejecet him from the room, and call campus security. After a mess of explaining, we had to shut down for the night, and we never saw either player again.

Now, no matter how hard you try to reign people in, it just isn't worth the trouble to LARP. As the aformentioned story, people take it too personally if they "die" and too many bad feelings happen.

I did make some really solid life friends though, so It was worth it in the long run for that reason.

Next?

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 09:26:04 AM »
I never saw anyone get in to a fist fight (or is it a boot to the face fight  :P).
Though I made one staffer cry when I calmly ask about breakfast (some larps have a cooking staff) really just went up and ask about breakfast next thing you know I'm hearing stories of a staffer crying in the kitchen and its my fault.  To this day I have no idea what I could have said to her to make her cry :-\

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 10:03:45 AM »
See, it's reasons like that that I'd keep a tight leash on who would be allowed in.

Really, I want to do a Wraith LARP, but what I want would require a high Storyteller to Player ratio, and people who can be expected to behave in a reasonably mature manner.

Other then that, I would touch a boffer LARP or vampire larp with a 10 foot pole, especially if I have to pay just to be there.