Author Topic: LARP Horror Stories  (Read 20757 times)

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: LARP Horror Stories
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 10:40:45 AM »
well, i have been to a lot of fantasy larp (orcs, elves, mages, fighters and metal armour+larp-swords) and it was always ok or good.

of course you donīt like some nerds/to-much-in-persons, but I have the impression that here it is not as "personal".

regarding the police: it was never a problem. the german police might also have less of an ego trip--
I never had a situation where they drove by and flashing the lights (ridiculus...) they tell you to calm down or they beak up the party, but this kind of "watch out, we sit here"  ::)

regarding the lawsuit... that is so funny... I guess all the usa cliches are so true  ;D :D ;)

well, in summary, I like larp, but I think vampire is a lot more problematical, because they all like ego trips..
and that is when everyone finds out I am Caitiff.
well, that is a good example..

I will stick to fantasy larp and have fun fighting with plate armour and sword!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 03:25:56 PM by Aldrien »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 10:43:09 AM »
Aldrien is big pimpin'!
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »
regarding the lawsuit... that is so funny... I guess all the usa cliches are so true  ;D :D ;)

That one is, without doubt.  People, here, will sue over the most trivial of reasons.  It is impossible to offend anyone from the U.S. with that stereotype.  It is true.  If I had my way, there would be laws governing, exactly, was was letigious, and what was not.  Unfortunately, with the right amount of money, anything, in this country, is grounds for a lawsuit.

One lady successfully sued McDonald's because she, herself, spilled hot coffee in her lap (jury awarded her millions because coffee was too hot.)

Smokers are able to sue tobacco manufacturers for their health problems (I am a smoker, and would never consider suing someone for my decision to be a smoker).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:57:04 AM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 11:08:30 AM »
It's really sad also, if you get into a fight, the worst threat isn't "I'm gonna break your face", it's "if you hurt me, I'm gonna sue you!"

I got that all the time in High School.  Some schmuck would start with me, pushing me around, and what not.  Then I'd charge him, and drop him to the ground, and immediately "If you hurt me, I'll sue you!"

Honestly, it's gotten to the point where you can't beat someone down for being stupid anymore.

(Although, technically, the Jury would have to rule against you.  I'd love to see the transcript from the Cofee trial, to see just what the lawyer said to have them judge against McDonalds.)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 11:09:31 AM »
this one might be urban legend  but wasnt there one case where the burglar sued the owner of the house he was breaking into for his house being un-safe because the burglar hurt himself in process.

God I wish to know if this true or not.

What sad is I can believe this. :-\
This is what happens to a country with too many lawyers and people forget how to be responsible for their own actions.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:31:36 AM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 11:11:29 AM »
(Although, technically, the Jury would have to rule against you.  I'd love to see the transcript from the Cofee trial, to see just what the lawyer said to have them judge against McDonalds.)

if I win this case the next ten rounds of golf are on me jim. :P

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 11:17:12 AM »
Well, there have been cases where the family of a burgler who was shot and killed by a home-owner sued said home-owner. I'm not sure if they won or not.

Actually, Aldiren, if you can get a direct satalite feed from any US tv stations, watch the shows that are on here from about 11am-3pm, every other commercial is for some ambulance chasing lawyer service. (It's assumed that when you are out of work for whatever reason, you'll be watching Jerry Springer)  They will try and twist ANYTHING that happens to you into a lawsuit.  
Fell down while drunk and walking home? You can sue the people who own the sidewalk where you fell.
Cut yourself with a knife you bought? You could try and sue the company that made them.

What they want to do is Sue for some extravagant amount of money, and hopefully, the other people/company will try and settle it out of court, for a smaller amount of money.  The Lawyer will then take his cut either way.

A sad, sad thing, really.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 12:30:33 PM »
... but wasnt there one case where the burglar sued the owner of the house he was breaking into for his house being un-safe because the burglar hurt himself in process.
on that one, this is law in germany, too!

but, the entrence to the property needs to be open. a small fence-gate will be enough.

the logic is, that anyone (a child) could enter the ground. IF there is a danger on your property, and the property is not "closed", than you have guilt.

it is of no importance if the person entering was a criminal.

possible dangers might be an old and fragile ladder (that was in the german case, the burgler used an old rotten ladder he found at the place), or perhaps an unsecured hole in the ground.
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 07:55:48 PM »
I have seen stupid crap all the time. People are such asses it is unreal. A follow up on mcdonalds, some lawyers want to sue mcdonalds because of obesity rates.And now the laywers want to cash in on it. As to larps the one and only one I witnessed had a group of werewolves arguing with a group of vampires about where to eat. LARP is definitely not my bag.

wmeredith.

EDIT*Sorry topkick more thought less rant next time.*
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:17:05 PM by wmeredith »
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 04:04:29 AM »
Okay.

I see I touched off a nerve here! ;D

@dmcgee1:  I found your comments to be libelous and offensive.  You'll be hearing from my litigator.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 04:34:49 AM »
Okay.

I see I touched off a nerve here! ;D

@dmcgee1:  I found your comments to be libelous and offensive.  You'll be hearing from my litigator.

you sir have made me chuckle.
award thee a point of postive karma

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 04:59:30 AM »
I'm not worthy!

I'm not worthy!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 06:09:05 AM »
I'm a witness, I saw everything!!

*Pst, hey Veez, do I get a cut of the settlement?*

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 09:51:57 AM »
Of course not (wink wink).  I'm not in this for monetary gain but for justice (but I'll settle out of court for pewter).

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 11:03:11 AM »
I have seen stupid crap all the time. People are such asses it is unreal. A follow up on mcdonalds, some twits want to sue mcdanalds because their fat and it is mcdonalds FAULT....

I fail to see how this is any worse than someone who sues tobacco companies for getting cancer or is it the fact that they are obese that makes it okay to single them out?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890