Author Topic: New convert, er, player here, bought some stuff, got some questions...  (Read 16092 times)

Offline chris_valera

• www.chrisvalera.com
Hey, what's up, new player here. I just poicked up a good mix of Warzone troops, and decided to get into this game wholesale.

I had a passing familiarity with Warzone from back in the day, but never actively decided to get into it until recently. But with Prince August blowing out the boxed set plastics at rock-bottom prices, there's no excuse not to get into this game.

So I bought a good mix of troops from my local store for different armies, mainly figures I actually like. I bought figures for different armies, thinking the game is so cheap you can pretty much collect everything, and it'd be better to pick figs I actually like, and will paint, rather than limit myself to an all-in-one army.

I didn't go crazy on my purchases, and left a few things on the rack, even though everything I did buy was already on steep discount. If this works out I'll go back for another trip.

Here's what I bought:

Fenris Bike
Technomancer (DL)
Tekron
Immaculate Fury #2
Crescentian Prophet
Lutheran Corsair
Lutheran Fusilier Troopers (4)
Pretorian Behemoth
Mercurian Manculator

1) What's the max squad size for Bauhaus Mounted Hussars?

2) How many squads of Bauhaus Mounted Hussars can you take in an army?

3) Is it worth having another Technomancer in my army? Why or why not?

4) Is it worth having another Immaculate Fury #2 in my army? Why or why not?

5) Is the Lutheran Corsair the correct Leader for the Fusiliers? If not, who is? Is the Corsair an army commander, a squad sergeant or...?

6) How many Pretorian Behemoths can you legally field? It used to be one, but didn't they change it?

7) Are Bauhaus Venusian Ranger any good? Worth buying one box or two?

8 ) Is the Necromower any good? Worth Buying?

9) Is Cardinal ??? any good? (I can't remember the name, but he's the large robed figure holding the sword down.)

If everything works out I'll go back and pick up some more stuff, then start a project journal on my website...

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: New convert, er, player here, bought some stuff, got some questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 06:05:42 AM »

Here's what I bought:

Fenris Bike
Technomancer (DL)
Tekron
Immaculate Fury #2
Crescentian Prophet
Lutheran Corsair
Lutheran Fusilier Troopers (4)
Pretorian Behemoth
Mercurian Manculator

1) What's the max squad size for Bauhaus Mounted Hussars?

Max size is 4- two Troopers, Sarge and Bannerman.  While it is an expensive unit for 4 models (210 points), they are pretty mean when used right and downright vicious with proper support (ie: lots of rifles giving covering fire)

2) How many squads of Bauhaus Mounted Hussars can you take in an army?

Depends on Army size and then its one unit of Mounted (as they are Elite) per unit of basic troops.  In theory, a 750 point force could be fielded with 3 units of Mounted( two troopers and sarge) and three minimum units of Militia with thirty points to spare for gear or

3) Is it worth having another Technomancer in my army? Why or why not?

Yep.  Granted the Golem of Darkness is cheeper than three troopers, it is a high armor and mean CC combatant.  Perfect for City-fighting and Jungle festivities.

But it is an investment that can backfire when you don't have enough bodies.  In my reading of the rules, there is no limit to the # of Golems he can make other than what "supplies" are availible.

I most often see the Technomancer running with a Biogiant or Behemoth as a medic...

4) Is it worth having another Immaculate Fury #2 in my army? Why or why not?

Debatible.  They serve as decent support for Karnophage Rush lists, as they move up and can shred anything the Phage do not.  Shotguns rule in UWZ.

5) Is the Lutheran Corsair the correct Leader for the Fusiliers? If not, who is? Is the Corsair an army commander, a squad sergeant or...?

The Corsair became a Squad in UWZ.  They are not bad but require getting very close to do their work.  4-8 models, no sarge.

6) How many Pretorian Behemoths can you legally field? It used to be one, but didn't they change it?

As it is a support unit now, it takes two troop units to field one.  So, if you have the points, you can field more than one as long as you have the troop units to field them.

7) Are Bauhaus Venusian Ranger any good? Worth buying one box or two?

I happen to think so.  High RC, great rifle, very good armor.  One of the best Corporate Elites in the game.  If you are going Sagielli, they are almost a must.  Field Two.  :)

8 ) Is the Necromower any good? Worth Buying?

The Go-Cart?  Yes and no...  I have seen mixed results from them but the mixed results came with only one on the field.  AS one can get two of them as a single choice, they might be better than I think.  As the Ultracharger is mounted, it gives the Banes some needed LR firesupport.

9) Is Cardinal ??? any good? (I can't remember the name, but he's the large robed figure holding the sword down.)

He is a character model.  Mileage varies according to how he is used.  High Leadership makes him desireable for the 'Hood to go first but he is a CC brute.  Not my cuppa tea in most games.  Leaders lead, not pick a fight.

Hope that helps!
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 06:19:46 AM »
As far as the Behemoth the rules state only 1 size 6 model per 500 pts so in the normal 1000 pt game you could have 2.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 06:40:39 AM »
I agree with Archer about the Ven. Rangers being 1 of the best squads RC-11 AR-21 Survival Training 3, an assault rifle that has 11 damage and the squad can have up to 2 HMG's and/or 2 FT's.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 06:57:17 AM »
Necromower's are well worth it if used properly as support not front line combat right from the start they MV-5 mounted HMG can move and shoot or not move and get +3 to hit and when they get into short range +3 to hit 3 times. And I would use 2 of them not 1.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 06:59:19 AM »
I agree with Archer about the Ven. Rangers being 1 of the best squads RC-11 AR-21 Survival Training 3, an assault rifle that has 11 damage and the squad can have up to 2 HMG's and/or 2 FT's.

Not to mention that they have Survival: 3 which can come in quite handy on any board with environmental rules.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 07:24:47 AM »
Plus if you are a recovering 40k player (like myself) the skulls on their armor help you to mentally transition.  A full de-skulling takes months however. ;D
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 07:37:30 AM »
Plus if you are a recovering 40k player (like myself) the skulls on their armor help you to mentally transition.  A full de-skulling takes months however. ;D

LOL (seriously)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:41:59 AM »
Venusian rangers make great defensive forces IMO. Give them some cover and their rifles and armor make digging them out very difficult.

As far as a Behemoth goes, most times one is sufficent as the points for the 2nd can be put to better use beefing up and equiping other squads. A technomancer Behemoth/Biogiant combo is nasty... Theres nothing like putting two wounds ona  model and seeing one of the wounds healed back up, not to mention that the Technos carry HMGs which is always a nice addition to your firepower.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 07:45:08 AM »
As far as the Behemoth the rules state only 1 size 6 model per 500 pts so in the normal 1000 pt game you could have 2.

Correct

Offline chris_valera

• www.chrisvalera.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 07:08:41 PM »
Wow, thanks for the responses guys, there were no replies for the first few days, and I was wondering what the hell was going on... I know this game is kinda dead *ducks thrown bottles and cans* but being hung out to dry sux...

I'm sure everyone knows of the deal Prince August was running; 80 guys for $6-20, depending on where you live. If you didn't see it, you missed out, the offer ended a few days ago. Anyway, I grabbed five bags worth. Doesn't matter, these guys are awesome as alterna-IG, and I dig the figs anyway.

I'll definately grab another Technomancer, and hell probably another Immaculate Fury or two, just to have the model. I'm buying more for looks anyway.

One question, what's with the BIG Immaculate Fury, and the smaller ones? Is one a squad leader and the others the squaddies, or were those old sculpts, or...?

I'll grab a Necromower, just cuz I used to have one and I turned it into an Ork buggy. It's kewl enough to want one, just for the model... But how many can I legally field?

So the Lutheran Corsair (the guy with the pick) is a squad? I need three MORE? Really?! Cuz that sux... >_<

I think I'll grab the Cardinal, just to have him. Any other holy rollers that are worth having?

Is there anyplace you can find an online catalog with pics of the various figs?

How difficult is it to find figures? They say not to sell things on this board, but with Excelsior dead and gone, isn't that kind of a null issue now?

Speaking of which, what about "missing" figs, troop types that never had figures made for the rules. Very quietly I'll say I could easily modify a fig, or sculpt from scratch, and cast up a few spares if there's some interest... With this game being dead and gone, I doubt anyone would care too much...

I may pick up a box or two of Venusian Rangers, but that's pushing it.

I'd grab some mounted Bauhaus, but I'd be paying full price, and that's no good. Which is bannerbearer for the mounted hussars? Is it in a blister or...? Cuz I've never seen one...

As for the Behemoth, it's such an awesome figure, I'd HAVE to grab a second, and hell, maybe a third, just so I can have three. Regardless of whether I'll use it in a game, ever... ^_^

But all this gets into me spending a little more than I'd like, especially following on the heels of buying all those plastics...

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll let you know how it goes. Right after I finish my skulls-and-purity-seals rehab session... ^_^

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 04:12:41 AM »
For the missing figs (such as the bannerman) we are either converting or proxying.  Fortuenatly, this is the age of the 28mm so there are plenty to choose from.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline chris_valera

• www.chrisvalera.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 10:53:34 AM »
For the missing figs (such as the bannerman) we are either converting or proxying.  Fortuenatly, this is the age of the 28mm so there are plenty to choose from.

So there *is* no figure... Hm... I smell a custom figure...

How much demand would there be for a figure like this?

Purely for education use, of course...  ::)

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 12:00:28 PM »
IIRC, I have a Mounted Hussar Banner Carrier - I will check.