Author Topic: Standards, fear & loathing.  (Read 8201 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Standards, fear & loathing.
« on: September 28, 2005, 04:57:39 AM »
I was comparing the point costs on the standards of Fortitude, Steadfastness, and Fright.  Then I came up with some questions.
1. Does carrying the standard of fright also make you immune to fear the way that fear causing models are?  I thought any model that caused fear was immune to it.
2. If the answer to 1 is yes, why would you bother with the Fortitude standard?
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
Re: Standards, fear & loathing.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 05:53:56 AM »
1. Yes. Models that cause Fear are immune to Fear, and treat Dread as Fear, and Horror as Dread.

2. I suppose it would depend on your playing style, whether you would rather Cause Fear, as an offensive tactic, or be immune to Fear, playing a more defensive role.

I was comparing the point costs on the standards of Fortitude, Steadfastness, and Fright.  Then I came up with some questions.
1. Does carrying the standard of fright also make you immune to fear the way that fear causing models are?  I thought any model that caused fear was immune to it.
2. If the answer to 1 is yes, why would you bother with the Fortitude standard?
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 06:02:21 AM »
2. I suppose it would depend on your playing style, whether you would rather Cause Fear, as an offensive tactic, or be immune to Fear, playing a more defensive role.

Ehm, that does not really answer his question Southpaw. Because if the answer to 1 is yes then there is no reason to take Fortitude since you can get the same immunity and the ability to cause Fear as well for the same cost.

I'll get back when I get home and can reread the relevant sections in the rulebook.

/Andreas

Offline AeA

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 06:17:26 AM »
FWIW, when this issue was raised on the previous forum, the answer was that the standard only causes Fear and doesn't protect against it; only models that naturally cause Fear get the immunity as well.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 06:43:33 AM »
Again, another thing needs tidying up in the CM rules alterations.  This would be a good one, especially if it was discussed on the old forum; my short and long term memory are shot. 
@AeA ---I'm thinkin' your right about this; it would explain the points involved.  I'm puttin' my editorial eye to things that have caused confusion, and every bit of input helps, especially for players new to the game.  It's one thing for us old heads to be talkin' on a forum, but I would like to see the rules alterations in CM and any future Chronopia material to be more precise.  Gotta keep our eyes on the future. 

dagorauk

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 10:45:22 AM »
I'd second AeA.
From what the description of Cause Fear states, models that Cause Fear are just such behemoths on the battlefield or warriors of such high reputation that mortals are shaken when they see them and the unit that causes Fear is either mentally defective, or so confident because of the Fear they instill that nothing would make them afraid. (Except Dread or Horror)
A standard wouldn't really have the same effect because it's just a bunch of people who are rallied around a magical ....uh... standard. It could make other people afraid, but the warband equipping it is still mortal and can suffer from fear as a normal mortal. It's the Standard that makes people afraid, not the warriors.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 10:52:39 AM »
Dig it Dag.  I think a sentence indicating that in the rules section wouldn't hurt a fella.  I like your explanation too.  Cheers.

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 12:41:11 PM »
The standard only causes Fear and doesn't protect against it.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 11:50:06 PM »
Perhaps I should expound on my explanation, Coil.

The choice between the two standards would largely be based upon what force I am expecting my opponent to field.

If I am facing Devout, for example.

Almost all of the army of the Devout either a. Causes Fear, or b. is Steadfast, or both.

In this case, the Standard of Fright is virtually worthless, since models that are Steadfast, and Cause Fear, are immune to Fear. The Standards of Fortitude or Steadfastness are much more valuable in such a case.

If I am facing an army with generally low Leadership, the Standard of Fright becomes much more valuable, as many players generally underestimate the effects the Morale can truly have upon an army, if used skillfully.

The standard only causes Fear and doesn't protect against it.

Hmm...I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this, but hey...you're the boss.  ;D

I can definitely live with it.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 05:05:37 AM »
Thanks all.  Case closed.