Author Topic: Tunnel vs Tunnel  (Read 26257 times)

Offline troy-the-just

Re: Tunnel vs Tunnel
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 07:42:54 AM »
i would say to treat it like they are attempting to come up under terrain and make them deviate their tunneling.  i can see it coming up, we seem to have lots of things come up here at the 4-state militia that doesnt seem to be a problem for others.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »
To paraphrase John Lennon: "There ain't no problems, only solutions."  Please share your house rules for how you resolve this, and we can all hash out ideas on this.

I can tell you firsthand, we've got plenty of rules questions and house rules, and full on things we've done wrong for years!!  It's been a learning curve that keeps going on, in my case. I think the 4-state-militia has got it going on. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Horned God

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 11:09:04 PM »
Coil has the right answer. They can't fight underground. They need to surface. Cut and dry.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 08:18:26 AM »
I'd still let'em fight.  If the tunnelers in this magical fantasy setting can move underground, know where to pop up and eat the other models on the board, I'd say they can be aware of each other underground.  I wouldn't give a charge bonus, as you can't run while tunneling, and maybe I'd make it one action to get into contact with another tunneler, but I'm sure this rare phenomenon could always be settled by anyone at my table, with some chat, and if it came down to it, a die roll.  As long as you spell out what you're both doing before battle commences, I'd say roll with it.

In a tournament, I'd have to say play by the book, and make them surface to fight.

If more tunnelers appear in the future, maybe this can be looked at more closely, and the rules delineated a tad more.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 05:49:50 PM »
I never really cared either way.  I jsut thought it was an intersesting and enjoyable disscusion.  I would abide by the concensus of the FAQ team and let them pass each other.
     "Strangers underground exchanging glances, wondering underground, what were the chances, they would do some wounds!" ;D
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 07:45:23 AM »
I like the poetry.  :D

As it stands, yes, no hard and fast rules are in place for tunnelers to fight, and really it only applies to the Stygian and the Devout.  As usual, the Great Arbiter is in the book for a reason.

I've had plenty of games where something came up and the d20 was thrown to work out something.  It's right there in the book.

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
and we have used the 20 a couple of times, normally after 20-30 minutes of logical (and sometimes drunken) reasoning.  many time we come to a consensus, we just try to get this things decided on before we play so we can take them into account for strategy and so it wont take away from our precious game time, or drinking time

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 08:47:29 AM »
Applaud button hit for that!!  You seem to have your priorities in order.

I always find myself quoting sculptor Matt Gubser about anything gaming:  "Let's keep this toy soldier stuff in perspective."