Author Topic: Tunnel vs Tunnel  (Read 26266 times)

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
Re: Tunnel vs Tunnel
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 09:41:04 PM »
Josh, have you ever played with terrain?  ;)  ;D

How do your troops know where the enemy troops are? And why do they react to that info when they have no line of sight? It's a game, and every game has some flaws...playing souble-blind games would work on pc-supported system but in a tabletop enviroment it would be hard to play...
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 06:11:31 AM »
I'm just saying that a tunneling model can go right under terrain, and pop up close to an enemy unit that technically, it doesn't have line of sight to, as it's underground right?  I imagine an Abyss Crawler would hear the digging of another tunneler underground if its senses are sharp enough to know when to spring on those on the surface. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Wedge

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 01:14:57 PM »
Certainly some interesting theories on how this "could" work, but I think for the simplicity of game balance, and the rarity of the occurrence, I would still rule that it cannot happen.

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 01:56:09 AM »
I dont really understand why this is an issue at all. I dont think that Chronopia needs extra rules for tunnlers ^^. At least it never come up in any of the games my group played.
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 06:31:13 AM »
If I recall correctly, I believe the rules for Tunnel state that a model can only be given Move actions while underground. I will check to verify.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »
Southpaw's right IIRC.  It states you can only take move actions while tunneling.  I think that's fine, but in the super rare occasion where two tunnelers collide, I'd let'em fight.  All this depends on whether you use the three burrowing markers as well when you play, as was the new ruling on tunnelers. 

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 09:56:20 AM »
      First, I would like to thank everyone who chimed in on this.  I understod from the beginning that this is a pretty big "if", but, since (apparently) no one had thought of this before that it would make for an interesting discussion, and I think it has.  My intention was not to push for new rule(s) or anything like that.  I'm still not sure what I would do if this were to come up in a game I'm in, guess I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 10:08:20 AM »
Thom was telling me that Excelsior was going to have new tunneling rules to cover this.  We'll see when he finally gets his computer working and chimes in.  You'll always find civilized discussion around here.  Chronopia and Warzone players are cut from a different cloth than others. 

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 12:54:19 PM »
Well, the new Tunneling rules that were proposed would have required increasing the cost of every Tunneling unit quite a lot.

Tunelling works just fine in Chrono so why break it?

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 01:10:38 PM »
I think at this point the chronopia rules are nearly perfect. Just play them as they are and have fun  :)
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 09:24:44 AM »
I agree the rules are fine, and just needed a little clarifying.  I can't say everything new from Thom was needed, but we do use the tunneling markers.  When we deploy a tunneler, we use three different color dice or markers, and write down which one is the tunneler and put it in a pocket.  It hasn't changed anything with game balance at all. 

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »
Hello My Peeps,

Canonball and I were talking about this the other day.  He is playing Stygian now (thanks to yours truly), and I play Devout, and we both love the "Crawler(s)" in both armies.  So, this big "IF" may see the light of day this year.  I like the idea that it blocks movement, partly because those Stygian crawlers do great damage, but also adds a more tactical twist to having 2 on the board.

Wedge

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 05:16:50 PM »
And I would still have to say that tunnelers cannot fight each other underground.  There is a reason you remove the model from play and use a marker to mark their location on the board.  Two markers moving underground at the same time pass like ships in the night.  No effect.  That's my two cents.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 05:46:56 PM »
Under the current rulebook Tunnelers cannot attack or be atteacted when tunneling.  As Josh mentioned there was talk about new rules for tunnelers and the ability to attack other tunnelers underground since more models with tunneling were going to be added in the future. So until Thom releases any of that info I would say it's to be played as the rulebook says. IMHO, but everyone is entitled to use there own house rules if they choose. ;D ;D ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »
And I would still have to say that tunnelers cannot fight each other underground.  There is a reason you remove the model from play and use a marker to mark their location on the board.  Two markers moving underground at the same time pass like ships in the night.  No effect.  That's my two cents.
Under the current rulebook Tunnelers cannot attack or be atteacted when tunneling.  As Josh mentioned there was talk about new rules for tunnelers and the ability to attack other tunnelers underground since more models with tunneling were going to be added in the future. So until Thom releases any of that info I would say it's to be played as the rulebook says. IMHO, but everyone is entitled to use there own house rules if they choose. ;D ;D ;D

I'm not diagreeing with you, for reasons I just stated, I was just pointing out there is a good chance it could happen.  Along with most people I don't see a need to compl;icate the game more, just thought it was an interesting tidbit.