Author Topic: Tunnel vs Tunnel  (Read 26260 times)

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Tunnel vs Tunnel
« on: October 04, 2006, 07:51:21 AM »
     What would happen if 2 tunneling minis came into "base to base" contact while tunneling(say for instance an Abyss Crawler and a Desert Crawler). 
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Tunnel vs Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 08:26:51 AM »
it would be madness...cats and dogs living together.....madness
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 09:29:04 AM »
     Hey Masher how do you make the "Madness" role anyway?  Use each warband's leadership like panic or highest leadership ilke initiative ;D.
     I ask the original question because I was looking over the stygian army list and they are one bad mofo.  Their army has everything to choose from, and I was trying to think of various ways to counter them :-\

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:48:38 AM »
As the rules stand now, there are no "depth bands" to indicate how deep under the ground the tunneler is, so it can be assumed that they are just below the surface like a shark (without the fin giving it away).  Also in the tunneling rules it says it takes one action to surface, so it can be duked out by models who are both tunnelers.  Remember that you cannot run while tunneling, so that will affect their confrontation. 

@masherking; I'm in the dog camp myself.  Los gatos--forget'em. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:08:50 AM »
     I don't see any need for depth bands, atleast not yet.  I guess what I really want to know is if say the Abyss Crawler moved into "base to base" with the desert Crawler would that be a "charge" sort of thing and force the two to surface and fight it out, or nothing happens and the DC can just tunnel around the AB.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »
Any move that brings them in contact would be a charge.  It wouldn't force the other model to surface.  I think if the other model wanted to surface (move action), if it survived the charge,  you would need a break test.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 12:09:59 PM »
Nothing would happen. They cannot fight underground.

Wedge

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 02:04:51 PM »
I would have to agree with coil.  While underground a model doesn't have a "base" anyway.  It is only a marker for that very reason--I would think.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 06:52:15 PM »
Charges must be declared so the models could not go into base-to-base without declaring a charge and you cannot declare a charge against something you cannot see. Ergo nothing would happen.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 10:26:29 PM »
Charges must be declared so the models could not go into base-to-base without declaring a charge and you cannot declare a charge against something you cannot see. Ergo nothing would happen.

But you could enter the tuneel left behind my the first tunneler and attack him from behind  ;D ;D

When that Stygian Worm can bring some 500 points of troops with him through his tunnels...others should be able to use that tunnel too... ;)
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 12:35:31 PM »
      Are you reading my mind.  I was just writing down some notes last night of things to ask, and that was one of my first.  This beggars all kinds of questions: how big is the tunnel; can you even tunnel towards a tunneling model( how would you know where he is?); can you fight in the tunnel?  Thats all I have for now.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 12:50:54 PM »
If a tunneling model can "pop" to the surface and attack a model/unit, unseen, then I don't see why it wouldn't sense another model underground.  This is one of those things that could be argued either way. 

Wedge

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 05:23:48 PM »
I'll refer back to the previous posts by Coil and myself and others.

Fighting underground is a no go.  I don't think the rules were intended to cover such a RARE contingency.  An Abyss Crawler facing either a Tenebrous Crawler or Desert worm is only going to happen if Devout is playing Stygian, the opposing teams choose tunnelers, and they approach each other underground.  That's a whole lot of what if's.

I would think they pass by each other without contact.

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 04:38:33 AM »
i think it comes down to this...are you playing at the surface and a model is tunneling...well no combat allowed...altough flyers can attack each other in air as well....the second alternativ would be to play on some kind of cavern/tunnel-map...then you would be underground...and rules for this type of game are provided by the rule book...

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 05:44:06 AM »
If this had popped up at the last con I got people together for Chronopia, I would've let'em duke it out.  If my ruling was proved wrong later I'd apologize, but I always like to err on the side of fun and duking it out in close combat.

How does the tunneler know where enemy models are on the surface?  If the Abyss Crawler knows where they are, why wouldn't it be aware of another model underground?