Author Topic: help  (Read 12455 times)

Offline gwingfan

help
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:19:13 AM »
I need some tips on painting my figs.  I got the old starter set w/ the 40 ducals and 40 imp. regulars, I also have 1 squad of chasseurs and valerie duval, and a capitol guy w/ jetboots.  How can I make these minis look cool?
I am a dark lord of the sith, fear me!!
Homebase: Ambler, PA (near philly); Currently at the University of Central Florida in the Orlando, FL area

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 08:44:15 AM »
I need some tips on painting my figs.  I got the old starter set w/ the 40 ducals and 40 imp. regulars, I also have 1 squad of chasseurs and valerie duval, and a capitol guy w/ jetboots.  How can I make these minis look cool?

have you any skill painting?
do you want to paint them quick or you going to take your time?
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 10:53:17 AM »
get yourself a fine brush 0/5 for example, some acrylic paint (GW or other).

You need to mix them with a little water => take some color, put it at printer paper. take some water with the brush and mix on the paper. when the consistence is good, apply to figure.

-> the figure should be based. not neccacaryly with white or black. I will use green or blue.

paint the figure in some contrasts, for example armour brighter than pants/shirts.

or other way round...

after painting apply "black wash", but be careful!!! also, mix with water. it will bring out the detials / increases contrast.

use matt (?) finish (not reflecting), not too much!

base you will figure out/read a forum....

cu
"Don“t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 12:55:21 PM »
Things to consider
1 Cut off flash and trim excess plastic/metal where appropriate
2 Some people mount their figs before painting.  You can also assemble them but with the plastics you may want to consider painting them on the sprue then assembling them.
3 Prime in white for primarily bright figs, and black for primarily dark figs.  IMHO grey is worthless for either.
4 have a plan on what you want to paint a particular figure.  Feel free to deviate as you see the effect of painting it, but at least you had a starting point.
5 Take your time and relax.  For small areas, exhale before painting (it steadies your hands), paint, then inhale.
6 Paint black underneath metalics, otherwise the effect is faded.
7 Look up online painting techniques such as drybrushing, highlighting and inks/washes
8 Don't be hard on yourself if you initial work is not the quality you would like. 
9 Ensure you have a step dedicated to cleanup of the fig (correcting mistakes and the like)

That is my figure philosophy in a nutshell.  My final point is this (and this is strictly about figures that I own-I don't enforce this view on others): If you didn't paint it, it isn't really yours.

You can see some of my work in this board.  I would rate myself as an average painter to slight above (and I do mean slightly).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline gwingfan

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 04:57:53 AM »
have you any skill painting?
do you want to paint them quick or you going to take your time?
I have little skill, and I want some to be done quick( the plastics) and the others to be done carefully.
Homebase: Ambler, PA (near philly); Currently at the University of Central Florida in the Orlando, FL area

Offline gwingfan

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 05:33:21 PM »
What brand paints do you guys suggest and what brushes do I need?
Where can I buy these?
1 more thing: what about an airbrush?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »
I prefer Vallejo game colors.  Overall the bset coverage and brightest finishes I've found.

The new paint buckets for GW paints are nice but I still hate their paints, either they need a ton of mixing to get to the right consistancy or they just refuse to cover.

As for Brushes, ruin a few cheaper ones learnin how to pain on mini's you don't like then graduate up to the finer synthetic or natural hair (your choice honestly).  once you find a style that you're comfortable TAKE CARE OF IT.  Wash the brushes, dry them and occasionally sing sweetly to them.

I don't know how you'd Airbrush anything as small as a 28mm mini but you're welcome to try, I'd love to see how it comes out.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 04:31:21 AM »
If you want some cheap paint to waste while you are learning, the Americaya stuff (usually about a dollar at most craft stores) are good to start with.  PFC Joe is on the money with GW paints.  I use GW darks, but their lighter colors are virtually unworkable without multiple coats.  They sell good brushes but they overcharge. 

How are Vallejo's metallics?
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »

How are Vallejo's metallics?

pretty good...I use the Gunmetal color on almost every single mini that I paint, and I get good coverage with it...plus it is easy to use with a little acrylic thinner in an airbrush...

B...

eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 08:01:38 PM »
The vallejo metals have a very very fine mix that doesn't get too spotty when you thin it down and it comes in a very nice range.

(I can't recommend the Vallejo Smoke ink enough)

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline gwingfan

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 06:10:27 AM »
What about the bases for the figs?  What do i use for the grass, etc?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 08:05:07 AM »
I get all my paint and brushes at Michael's Crafts.  They have an excellent assortment of all types of brushes, and their acrylic paints work fine for me.

As for bases, I mix my own synthetic grass.  When I want another type of basing, I go to the basement and scoop up the sandstone that is slowly disintegrating from the wals.  I also use real dirt when going for other looks.  I glue the sandstone/dirt/grass with Elmers, using a small tool to ensure even coverage.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline DARNIZHAAN

• Castle Triskelion
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 11:25:15 AM »
I also shop for my paints at Michael's.  The price, volume per container, and variety make it hard to resist.  While there I pick up brushes and check for lemax items on sale to use for (relatively cheap) scenery.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »
I use blended train grass.  There are several varieties.  The stuff GW puts out is good but overpriced.  Techniques include:
a.  Paint Base desired color.
Apply glue to base.
Dip fig in grass.
Tap to remove loose flock.

b.  Paint base desired color.
While base is wet, dip in grass
Tap as above.

Another techniquis is to glue rocks to the base, then paint and drybrush for desired effect.  This method is good for making rocks, sand and glue.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 02:29:03 PM »

(I can't recommend the Vallejo Smoke ink enough)

how bad is it...I've been thinking about getting some, but you're the second person that I've heard that has said that it isn't that good...

usually, I just mix my own Smoke ink using a mix of about 60/40 brown/black...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970