Author Topic: the other games we play  (Read 27686 times)

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
Re: the other games we play
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2006, 03:32:23 AM »
I not to big into plastic's (or better i dont own any besides a handfull of Imperial Regulars). The AT-43 looks not bad but isnt my cup of tea at all. The alien mecha is the only one i like but, beeing made plastic wont make me buy it anytime soon  ;).

I like the Infinity system for the unconvential aproach and for using some basic mechanics i came to love with Chronopia and Warzone (the development of the wait concept into a new level for instance) . The figs are very detailed and well made indeed and have i mentioned, they come in metal  ;D
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Iron Panda

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 11:21:38 AM »
Iron Panda had all RL games...he then tossed them out.
....yeah I cried too.

I'm kicking myself now that I think about it.  When my old buddies all got scattered to the four winds after graduation, I never thought these games would never see the light of day again.  After years of storage, I threw them away with a painful sigh. 

I should have kept them, if anything, they have great fluff and pics.

Offline gwingfan

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2006, 05:38:52 PM »
I play Star wars minis, And VS system.  I also am doing some historical minis w/ a club @school.
I am a dark lord of the sith, fear me!!
Homebase: Ambler, PA (near philly); Currently at the University of Central Florida in the Orlando, FL area

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 01:34:40 PM »
I've gotten sick of D&D.  I'd like to give Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay a shot.  I tried Warlord, thinking it would be fun, but it's so beer and pretzels that I've gotten the guy who demo'ed it to me to play Chronopia!  Strike one for our team. 

I'm lucky enough to be able to get in any gaming at all.  Maybe I'll have to break down and try the Mordheim game--I don't have the coin to play GW too. 
I never really got into Warlord either.  Fluff was too generic.  That's kind of how Reaper has grown its business, doing all-purpose figs, but I think it's hindered them in regards to developing a strong IP of their own.

You might want to check out Dark Age  (http://www.dark-age.com)  It plays very similar to Chronopia.  Someone at the company mentioned that their main rules guy had been a playtester at Target.  It's alternating unit, actions, d20.  Veteran Chronopia and WZ players should pick it up in about 2 minutes.  Quickstart rules are on the website.

Lots of familar names among the sculptors too:  Werner Klocke, Kev White, Christian Dankworth, and myself. 

If you're a Brom fan, you'll love the artwork obviously.  Good original background too.  And you can have a playable force for about $30. 

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 02:38:12 PM »
Looks like a well thought out game, just too Darksun for me. Though I can be open minded. We will see what happens.

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 08:58:17 PM »
Other Games I play:
  • Duel of Ages
  • Pirates
  • Rocketmen
  • Axis & Allies: Revised Edition
  • Fortress America
  • Munchkin (and all its expansions)
  • Car Wars
  • Mutant Chronicles:  Siege of the Citadel
  • Name That PC/Video Game (I play/have played many)

Yeah, there's more - but, these are the ones that I've played recently.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 09:00:30 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 04:08:25 AM »
I've played:

Command & Conquer Renegade
Dawn of War
Solitare.

(Sigh) lots of Solitare.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2006, 10:25:29 AM »
I've gotten sick of D&D.  I'd like to give Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay a shot.  I tried Warlord, thinking it would be fun, but it's so beer and pretzels that I've gotten the guy who demo'ed it to me to play Chronopia!  Strike one for our team. 

I'm lucky enough to be able to get in any gaming at all.  Maybe I'll have to break down and try the Mordheim game--I don't have the coin to play GW too. 
I never really got into Warlord either.  Fluff was too generic.  That's kind of how Reaper has grown its business, doing all-purpose figs, but I think it's hindered them in regards to developing a strong IP of their own.

You might want to check out Dark Age  (http://www.dark-age.com)  It plays very similar to Chronopia.  Someone at the company mentioned that their main rules guy had been a playtester at Target.  It's alternating unit, actions, d20.  Veteran Chronopia and WZ players should pick it up in about 2 minutes.  Quickstart rules are on the website.

Lots of familar names among the sculptors too:  Werner Klocke, Kev White, Christian Dankworth, and myself. 

If you're a Brom fan, you'll love the artwork obviously.  Good original background too.  And you can have a playable force for about $30. 

been looking at dark ages
debting yet another mini game
but skarrd do have some sweet models
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Iron Panda

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2006, 02:33:12 PM »
Zombies! Unfortunately, I just have the main game.   :(
Settlers of Cataan
I've been heavily into Warhammer Fantasy lately and yes, I hang my head in shame ;)
Played Confrontation waaays back but  gave it up due to lack of players.  Thinking about getting the new rulebook and starting up a Vile Tis faction.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2006, 09:04:51 PM »
I got introduced to Zombies! a couple months ago - easy game to learn, weird to play!  jjdodger and I being the rules lawyers we are, we couldn't help but debate the most mundane of things.  Overall, a fun little game.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2006, 06:30:02 AM »
Zombies! is awesome.

Me and my friends had a house rule.  WHen you drew a card that caused more zombies to appear, you HAD to play it, then draw again.

That game lasted 3 hours. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2006, 07:17:04 AM »
Hmph....

The other stuff I play.

The Evil Empire games
 - Warhammer 40k
 - Battlefleet Gothic
 - Necromunda
 - Space Hulk ( I run this game at conventions)

Fanpro's Battletech (the *only* version, imo)
DP9's Heavy Gear (minis mostly.  Some of the RPG too)
Ground Zero Game's Dirtside II (not played in ages- but a blast!)

I've thought about CAV but not certain I want to play.
  Warmachine is entertaining but not for me unless I can field nothing but riflemen.  And LOTs of them. ;)
  For FOW, I have the beginnings of an Armored Rifle Company.  At somepoint, I need to start painting them.

these are the things I play/want to play... when I can't play Warzone or Chronopia
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 07:33:00 AM »
- Space Hulk ( I run this game at conventions)

DP9's Heavy Gear (minis mostly.  Some of the RPG too)

I've thought about CAV but not certain I want to play.

its been ages since I did any space hulk.

Now I loved Heavy Gear. A friend and I had lots of fun with this.
have you seen the new stream lined rules. Ahh one day when I get that mech itch I might play this again. Maybe if ever a chance shows up we can get a game of Heavy Gear in.  Sure like playing with the "cheetahs" and "ferrets"

I too looked at CAV...and wondered.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 10:07:12 AM »
FoW is, definitely, on my list of games to learn and play.  I have the rulebook, but, no minis - yet.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 10:22:59 AM »
FoW is, definitely, on my list of games to learn and play.  I have the rulebook, but, no minis - yet.

I was looking into this game but I was told the one force I wanted to play (british desert rats) is only really playable in a certain scenario. Kinda lost my steam for it after that.