Author Topic: Mounted leap?  (Read 8770 times)

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Mounted leap?
« on: September 09, 2006, 06:50:05 AM »
Alright, I know that stygian can leap into CC and avoid countercharge, can a mounted individual or warband(kutara lancer or ripper beast lancer) do the same?

Have a Great Day
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: Mounted leap?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 02:31:01 PM »
Anyone who has the Leap special ability can do it (p.89).

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:33:33 PM »
Sssswwweeeeeeeettt!

Thanks for the info Coil, I thought as much but was not sure.  That Kutara Lancer will definitly be on the board next game.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 05:09:13 AM »
Coil--as long as we're on the subject, what about the Nameless for the Devout?  In the description, it says that the mount has leap.  Most other models with leap do not specify.  Does this mean that the Alter Axes of the rider occur after the mount's leap attack, or do they all go together?
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 06:40:10 AM »
Coil--as long as we're on the subject, what about the Nameless for the Devout?  In the description, it says that the mount has leap.  Most other models with leap do not specify.  Does this mean that the Alter Axes of the rider occur after the mount's leap attack, or do they all go together?

Both the mount and the rider attack, as per the rules for mounted models. Yes, the Nameless is nasty.

When they Leap into CC, both the rider and the mount get free attacks.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 09:55:32 AM »
Southpaw, you've always been there when I have a rules query, and I've never doubted you, but I'm going to check the mounted model stuff vs. the profile of the mount only having leap.  I asked Thom about this just today over coffee, and he said that the mount goes first with it's leap, then the axes go according to the rolloff LD test for Charge vs. a Waiting model.  It wouldn't surprise me if there's a grey area on this one, as the rulebook was not proofread as well as it could be.  I break Thom's balls about it even now. 

I understand when a Dragonbane rider leaping gets his bite and lance on the leap; maybe the Nameless is an exception to the mounted unit rules, or maybe Thom is just plain wrong. 

I really have too much downtime in this office; I'd rather be pushing pewter and throwing dice. 

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »
Sounds good. Let me know what he says, and I will do some research on it, as well.

SP

Southpaw, you've always been there when I have a rules query, and I've never doubted you, but I'm going to check the mounted model stuff vs. the profile of the mount only having leap.  I asked Thom about this just today over coffee, and he said that the mount goes first with it's leap, then the axes go according to the rolloff LD test for Charge vs. a Waiting model.  It wouldn't surprise me if there's a grey area on this one, as the rulebook was not proofread as well as it could be.  I break Thom's balls about it even now. 

I understand when a Dragonbane rider leaping gets his bite and lance on the leap; maybe the Nameless is an exception to the mounted unit rules, or maybe Thom is just plain wrong. 

I really have too much downtime in this office; I'd rather be pushing pewter and throwing dice. 
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »
     It would seem to me that you would get the "free attack" with a lance, as it is a longer weapon and meant to reach out ahead of the mount, I'm not sure about HTH, I'll study this as well.

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 11:16:02 PM »
Interesting. I'll have to check the rulebook after work tonight.

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 09:20:27 AM »
Looking through the rulebook it seems that The Nameless is the exception, allt he other mounted models with Leap do not specify it as Mount Only.

Good catch, I haven't seen that before but I haven't got a Nameless so I haven't thought that much about him (Well apart from the fact that his mount looks a lot like ...).

So the question is if it is a mistake or intentional. I tend to say that the book is right 99% of the time.

Anyone remember what it said in 1st ed? I have my 1st ed books packed away.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 09:56:43 AM »
I'll check my 1st edition book, but I think Thom is actually right about this one.  If it was like the other models with Leap, it would get the mounts bite of 13? , 14 on the charge, and two axes doing 17 damage.  That would be more than any other leaping model, even the Wolf Totem.  I think it balances out this guy.  He's pretty cool, and Coil, you are right, the dinosaur he's riding is phallic, to say the least.  I hadn't noticed before, but now it will be a regular joke at my gaming table, to augment my usual jibe at my friends being beaten over the head with an Obsidian Serpent.  Big, black, serpent.  Ah, gamers.

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 09:51:14 PM »
I'll check my 1st edition book, but I think Thom is actually right about this one.
Well as written it is pretty clear that it applies to the mount only. It was probably a question of balance.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 05:35:28 AM »
It's just one of those things.  Why the Orc Kutara Lancer only has two actions and doesn't have that third to command is beyond me too.

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 12:39:51 PM »
The Kutara isn't the only Mounted unit where the rider has only two actions so that's not so strange.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 05:32:14 AM »
I thought it was the only mounted individual to get shortchanged.