Author Topic: With Great Power Tools Comes Great Responsibility  (Read 7930 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
With Great Power Tools Comes Great Responsibility
« on: September 05, 2006, 04:21:19 AM »
Recently I got a fret saw (sp?)-something I've wanted for years.  It makes things like cutting weapons and heads off (there can be only one) much smoother (unlike the Surveilor conversion which took a lot of work to smooth over).

I also have a Dremmel tool which I whipped out this weekend to try to convert an old Capitol officer into sergeant that would match my old infantry (my plan was for a weapons swap that would turn it into a Freedom Brigades Sgt).

Some men would call what I did a mistake.

Others would call it murder.

I tried to pair down the M-50 so that I could convert it into a shotgun.  The effect was more like something you'd see on an undead legionairre.  In the end I had to use the fret saw to shave off the entire front half where the whole hand holding weapon assembly was.  What is left is recoverable but some detail is lost and there is the overriding sense of failure associated with the conversion.  I shudder to think I had a second figure standing by for the same treatment.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: With Great Power Tools Comes Great Responsibility
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:33:35 AM »
I was actually trying to convert a shotgun onto him.  I can do it (I have all the parts) it just won't be pretty.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:25:18 PM »
i saw the thread name and i was expecting an emergency room visit!
 your hands are too valuable! you can always get another weapon but a thumb is irreplaceable!
sorry about  that m-50...
games workshop: the ultimate evil megacorp!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 03:58:44 AM »
Ironically I had cut myself earlier that day, but not recreationally-I cut my thumb on a metal tool box-nothing some super glue couldn't handle.

The M-50 was doomed anyway so it's no great loss, it's the damage to the rest of the figure I lament.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 11:13:37 AM »
lol, CA glue was a field expedient wound closure since at least the Vietnam war.

as for the m-50, if you've an HI or LI box squad there are a couple loose '50's.  they're for the officers but I've just started replacin them with more officerly bits, like binoculars and messenger pouches.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 11:27:56 AM »
That and the HI officer doesn't have an M-50 so really, it's just free bits now. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 01:39:23 PM »
I've got a couple, but the thing is I need a shotgun.  Fortuneately I have an old leftover Cybertronic one that with some trimming will due but that still leaves me a figure short for the other squad.

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:02:09 PM »
You could order this weapons sprue from Hasslefree - CLICKY

It comes with both a sawed off and a pump shotgun.

Or buy this Figure that just came out which includes a shotgun with hands and arms attached.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:05:05 PM by Seamus »
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 03:46:30 AM »
Hasslefree rocks.  My only regrets are 1) they are overseas so it takes a little longer to get his stuff (I know-waaaa-quite my whining) 2) My work network will not load their site for some reason.

The only commercial link I have found for the type of saw I am using (and forgive me for committing this blasphemy) is at the GW site:
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=303905&orignav=301405&ParentID=212674&GameNav=300810

The bad part is that the blades snap fairly easily if you are not carefull and I am running through them at the cyclic rate.  At this rate, I'll be back to chopping them apart with my exacto knife, which is a lot more condusive to causing injury.

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
Your work network is probably blocking anything with a country code domain.  As for taking a little longer, I usually order from them and get my order in about 8 days.  Sometimes less, I've had it as quick as 4 days. 
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)

Offline chris_valera

• www.chrisvalera.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 07:31:03 PM »
Try a jeweler's saw, or, if you're kewl with recasting - recast the arm holding the gun, or even the entire figure. A resin/plastic copy would be much easier to convert.

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 04:15:18 AM »
It pretty much is a jewlers saw.  Good to know the terminiology though, it may make getting new blades easier!

I'd love to recast but can't find the supplies locally.  I may have to ship to Germany to get it done (thanks Aldren).