Author Topic: Warzone in 15mm Scale...  (Read 3992 times)

Offline leutenantbrittan

Warzone in 15mm Scale...
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:44:11 AM »
Hi!

Ive been pondering starting a new small project to give me a break from my main Leviathan stuff and have thought it might be fun to have a go at collecting a couple of small forces for warzone in 15mm scale.

There are no official miniatures at this scale but theres plenty of interesting 15mm sci-fi miniatures out there which would do as proxies. I am currently thinking of starting with Imperial as they are my favourite force (Blood Berets were my first purchase for warzone 1st edition) At that scale its fairly easy to do by just adding some greenstuff shoulderpads and a bit of extra armour.

Ive always been fond of the 1st edition rules so plan on using the forces in them as my starting block and will try to get a couple of squads of Imperial Regulars or Blood Berets converted over the coming weeks. After that I may have a go at a small Dark Legion force but we shall see! Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Re: Warzone in 15mm Scale...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »
Great idea! We did the same thing for Fantasy Battle (GW). Same rules but instead of inches we used centimeters as inches.

It worked great. The bases were made out of popsicle sticks. Large (doctor size) sticks were for monsters and smaller ones (regular) were for troopers. As long as you play against someone who is fun to play against, most rule problems work themselves out.

Scale was different on the terrain board but it still worked. Basically we used, what you see is what you get in terms of obstacles/line of sight.

Because of the smaller movement (centimeters versus inches) the amount of turns it took to get fully engaged took longer. You can counter this by moving the armies closer to each other before you start.

There are alot of 15mm scale figs out there. Not to mention cheaper per point value, you can have massive 3-5k point armies versus their counterpart or attackers versus defenders. The attacker is x3 points over the defender.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:32:19 PM by luckyone »
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
Of course you would have to scale down the templates to the correct size. Covering half the army with a large flamer template, while fun for the one flaming you, is not a viable option IMHO.
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Kaile_Bloodhammer

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:37:23 PM »
You could probably use the Flames of War system as a base but throw in aspects of the UWZ system.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 03:46:05 AM »
Scale would be alot better to use Flames of War that is for sure.

Have you tried anything yet?
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:00:21 AM »
 You also might want to consider doing squad actions rather than indiviual figures (since they are all on the same base they can't go wandering off on their own anyway right?).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:36:55 AM »
You can put individuals on a popsicle base. Each trooper would be on an individual base. Sorry if I confused anyone with my comments above.

I would not recommend using any Warmaster rules (IMHO).

GW stole that idea from my gaming group anyways. Bastards.  >:(
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline leutenantbrittan

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 01:19:35 AM »
Hi!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am currently awaiting a delivery of some troops but am planning on mounting them individually as ive got some nice 20mm round plastic bases which should be perfect for them.

Ruleswise I still plan on using the 1st edition warzone but do plan on shrinking the templates! I dont plan on collecting huge armies as I havent got the space. Instead I plan on using what I get to play warzone on a smaller board (maximum size 4x4 foot) and keeping to the skirmish style of play that 1st edition is so good for!

All the best!

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 08:42:06 AM »
Warzone "Empire" rules were a project I was thinking of picking up, but never really got too far along with the idea. 

Here are some general concepts that I had hashed out concerning the rules.

Individual unit activation using a "chit pull" system.  Alternately, use a deck of cards with each unit assigned a particular card to indicate activation.

Command would play a role in the game.   Units would have individual commanders, and if the commander got hit, the unit would lose activations, and lose a morale level.

Leaders for each unit, and for every three(?) units, you would need a Wing Commander - Could adjust up or down depending on the faction. 

Overall or Wing commander get's hit, all units in that command lose a moral level. 

To differentiate various troop types, you would use range, defense value, attack value, morale and movement. Compared to UWZ, you would have to abstract some of the abilities, such as infiltrate.

Spotting rules with dummy unit cards would definitely be a part of the game. 

Actual AFV's would and could be modeled at this scale....TANKS!   

You could also have some on board light artillery, as well as offboard.

Close combat would need to have casualty tables to reflect the effect to both sides in a melee.   Hand to hand should kill both defenders and attackers.   

As a unit take sufficient casualties, it loses moral level.   (I know that we as tabletop generals assume every unit will stand and fight to the last man...troops in combat have a different viewpoint)

When the unit is shaken, it would need to get out of enemy fire before a morale check could be made.  Either hard cover or out of range of enemies.

If a unit breaks, surviving members would have to get back to deployment area and be free of enemy fire to rally.   Failure to rally would mean unit is out of the battle, and the entire army loses a morale level. 

In a platoon/company level game, I believe the game should be less about overall kills, and more about disrupting command and enemy morale.  Casualties would certainly be the way to whittle down the enemies will to fight...but targeting enemy commanders with snipers would model what happens on the battlefield, and make for totally different game.   

Feel free to take or leave these ideas.  Good luck with the rules, sounds like a fun project.

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad