Author Topic: Pra-deploy question  (Read 4936 times)

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
Pra-deploy question
« on: July 28, 2006, 07:26:22 PM »
If, when para-deploying, there is a flat rooftop, balcony, or other piece of terrain with a flat top on it, is it possible to "safely land on" this piece of terrain?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Pra-deploy question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 01:08:53 AM »
We use a terrain heavy board, including many buildings.  We've always considered a model landing more than it's size in inches away from an edge ok.  Though you still jave to follow the restrictions for placing the landing template, ie no building top intentional shots.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 06:44:59 AM »
that sounds like a reasonable distance.  Thanks!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 04:10:13 PM »
I figure for a Roof Top landing, anyone landing off of the top is lost.
The rules are kind of vague when it comes to Rooftops.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline mchiao

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 07:17:02 PM »
Not necessary.  Unless the building it is surrounded by enemy unit, I would think it landed safely.  However, whether it can get back into formation next turn is a different quesiton.  I guess 1 action to get up and 2 actions to move.  Now, if the building is like 20" then it will be out of command distance (I think) after the turn it landed.   

What happens when the guy hits the side of the building?

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 09:22:50 AM »
What happens when the guy hits the side of the building?

To expand on this a litte more, how close to the building is considered "hitting" it, ie, having parachute issues for getting too close? And, whats the penalty? prone, no actions?

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 10:38:32 AM »
Not necessary.  Unless the building it is surrounded by enemy unit, I would think it landed safely.  However, whether it can get back into formation next turn is a different quesiton.  I guess 1 action to get up and 2 actions to move.  Now, if the building is like 20" then it will be out of command distance (I think) after the turn it landed.   

I played in a game before where I para-deployed my Preatorians on to a roof top of a bombed-out  building with one side completely blown open.  One of them hit the roof and the other missed the edge and landed in the basement 5 stories below!!!  Yes, they were out of command distance and for all intents and purposes the second Stalker was out of the game.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 12:29:35 PM »
depended on the size of the building that they "hit the edge" of.

one story (~ three inches) and we just placed them prone on the ground with no actions remaining.  Just like the rules for landing on terrain with no landing area within three inches.

higher than one story, outta the game.  If that's harsh, you can roll for falling damage, but given how hard PLF's can be and that five points of contact don't include a ten foot drop to pavement....  yeah just remove them from the game as a casualty.

Using Stalkers example, it's a common  sense issue as to where you can place the landing template.  Obviously, it's not gonna happen if you want to land on directly on a guy's back porch but the top of a warehouse shouldn't be too difficult.  Generally, if you can fit the landing zone, template and at least two/three inch buffer, into a given relatively terrain free area, go for it.

-PFC joe

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 02:55:40 PM »
Yeah, I was figuring a pretty big rooftop, say 10x10 inches (A big building).
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 06:02:44 PM »
yeah that should be fine.  Aim for the middle and anyone that hits the edges has to fall/be removed.

-PFC joe