Author Topic: The Gallagher Summer Painting Experience  (Read 10297 times)

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

The Gallagher Summer Painting Experience
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:31:33 AM »
Well as I've been cleaning the house this week I've finally got all my Warzone stuff in one place, and I 've got one thing to say....

Wow that is a lot of unpainted lead!

Since I started playing in the mid 90's I've ammassed over 400 minis,  all told maybe 30 of them are painted, plus I have an outstanding order for 49 more.  So as I've found myself out of session for University until late September and have available another 5 hours each day, I decided tonight that I needed to get painting.

With that resolve I start this thread, sort of a Miniature painting blog if you will.  I'll use this space to keep the warzone community up to date on my painting progress, solicit comments on finished peices, and undoubtably ask some painting questions.  Perhaps most important this thread can help keep me motivated.  So there you have it.

Tomorrow I'll post a picture of all that unpainted tin.

My first goal is to finish some small (350pt) demo armies that I can use to try to get some friends into the game.  I'm thinking about the following:

Imperial Clan Murdoch
Trenchers x4
Trencher HMG
Trencher Sgt

Golden Lion x4 (In Progress)
Golden Lion Tank Buster (In Progress)
Golden Lion Sgt (In Progress)
Edward Murdoch (In Progress)

Mishima Overlords Retinue
Ashigaru x7
Ashigaru LMG
Ashigaru Leader
Bushido Samurai x4
Bushido Samurai leader
Tatsu

Brotherhood
Heavy Trooper x4
Heavy Trooper Decurion
Heavy Trooper LMG

Fury Elite x4(In Progress)
Fury Elite Decurion

Capitol Ground Forces
Light Infantry x4
Light Infantry LMG
Light Infantry Sgt
Sunset Striker x4
Sunset Striker LMG
Sunset Striker Sgt
Sunset Striker Captian

Cresentians
Brotherbound x4
Brotherbound HMG
Brotherbound Sgt
Lamented x6 (In Progress)
Prophet (In Progress)

Horde
Undead Legionnaires x6
Necromutant Leader
Golemn Of Darkness
Undead Legionnaires x6
Necrmutant Leader
Necromutants x4
Centurion Perceptor

Muawijhe
Karnophage x8
Zenithian Soulslayers x4
Doomsday Proclaimer

The forces are designed to give the players a good feel for the game including both RC and CC, except the Muawijhe army, which I would be playing myself to try to set myself up to challenge players who are still learning the rules without steamrolling them and thus turning them off of the game.  The demo games would be played on my recreations of the SotC game boards made in 3d out of Hirst Arts blocks so there should be plenty of cover and opportunites for CC.

Only the Mauwijhe force has anything painted yet, and it is almost complete needing only a doomsday proclaimer painted to fill out the roster.  The rest of the forces are all primed and awaiting paint.

Here's to a season of happy painting,

Gallagher Standard Barer
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 02:22:20 PM by Gallagher_Standard_Barer »

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: The Gallagher Summer Painting Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 06:57:03 PM »
good luck.
I know I've been hard press to find good painting time.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 07:53:34 PM »
Thanks.

Tonight I finished up that 350 point Muawijhe demo army, by painting my doomsday proclaimer.  I'm not terribly proud of it but it will do the job.   I've also discovered that I need batteries for my digital camera before I can get some pictures posted.  As soon as I find some I'll get some pictures up.

Iron Panda

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 08:15:20 PM »
Thanks for this thread! Hopefully, this will also motivate me to paint my minis. 

Looking forward to seeing some painted minis.

Good luck!

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:07:28 PM »
Hey found some batteries.

First here are the 3 remaining 350 point armies for demonstrating warzone to some friend that are first on the plate:

[img=http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8503/demoarmieskg2.th.jpg]
The Light infantry and Ashigaru haven't arrived yet so add another 15 mini's to that.

Here's the other stuff I need to get to eventually:

[img=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1495/waitinginthewingsqa5.th.jpg]

And finally here's that 350pt Muawijhe force, the first fully painted playable force I've had:

[img=http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/2954/350ptmauwijheforcefu4.th.jpg]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:11:29 PM by Gallagher_Standard_Barer »

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 09:27:21 AM »
Alright so I haven't done much painting this week.  I did get some more stuff glued into its bases and made a bit of terrain.

Does anyone have any thoughts on those pictures I posted?  Both on the mini's and the photography since I'm new to miniature photography and I don't have a light box and am working with two desk lamps with full spectrum bulbs.

I think the next of the "Demo Armies" I'll takcle will be Imperial.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »
Ok well I guess I lied, I didn't do imperial next.  Instead I started a unit of Fury elite tonight, I've got them about halfway done.  Pictures to follow when I finish.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 11:34:10 PM »
Its been a while since I updated this, and I haven't done a ton of painting since then, at least until tonight when I painted a whole squad of Trenchers.  They're nothing special compared to a lot of the stuff I've seen but I think they're some of the best I've ever done, and wow did they go together quickly.  Anybody looking for an easy model to get them back into the swing of things try the trenchers.  I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Those fury elite are still on the workbench but unfinished.  I'm not sure if the plan is to finish them first or get started on some golden lions.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 01:11:32 PM »
1st Imperial Trenchers Squad Reporting for duty!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:22:54 PM »
Nice.  Very nice. 
Are the square bases temporary for painting or how you intend to mount them?
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 06:11:34 PM »
Haven't decided.  I don't really like decorated bases since they typically don't fit with surrounding terrain.  I'm not just going to leave them partway primed, but I'm still deciding how to finish them.  I'm probably going to paint them solid in a single fairly neutral color like a dark green or grey.  What do you think, any ideas or thoughts.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 06:11:15 AM »
I flock most of mine green-it's easy and sort of matches the surrounding terrain.  However, my evil figs for another gaming system I use sand and drybrush them grey.   Either way the slot and any gaps are hidden.  That said, if you want to go neutral black is always good (and easy) the only problem is that the boots blend into the ground. You may want to do a dirt brown for mud (plus it works for just about any environment).  I would strongly encourage something; you don't have to do diorama bases (I rarely do), but giving them some sort of base, even if it does not necessarily match the surrounding terrin, is an easy way to raise them to a higher level.

As for square or round, the squares would work better for the SOTC board, round is slightly better for getting into base to base contact (but if someone is going to give you nonsense for that because your square base does not reach when a round one should then I'm not sure if you want to play with them anyway).  Round is the "standard" but what you do on your own gaming table is your business (what happens in Warzone stays in Warzone).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 08:16:59 AM »
As for round verses square, I've only got what was with the minis when I recieved them, I personally prefer round but all the bases I have a spoken for.  I'll do these up somehow and then maybe some point down the road buy myself a bag of round slotta bases and change them over.

Most of the stuff I have painted already I have gone with sand drybrushed in either a Dark brown or dark green.  the grey of the sand with the little bit of color picked up from the drybrush leaves a good neutral base that blends in well with most kinds of terrain.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 12:32:59 PM »
Sounds like a solid plan.   If you get desperate, I'm currently overflowing with round bases.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 11:15:40 PM »
Sgt. Tavington of the Imperial Trenchers stands with his newly outfitted unit on the plains south of McCraig staring at the black spires looming on, what was until last week an empty horizon.

Sgt. T: Corporal Smith, looks like we’re first to the Assembly Area, have the squad create a defensive perimeter while we wait for the rest of the force to rally.
Cpl. S: Of course sir!. (Looking over his shoulder the Corporal Shouts)  Lads! You heard the Sgt. get to work (Turning back to Sgt. Tavington) Sir, if you don’t mind my asking, what are we doing out here? They don’t tell me much.
Sgt. T: You see that (Points to the horizon).  That is the most unholy abomination ever scene by the eyes of man…and we’re going to blow it up.
Cpl. S: Sir, not that I doubt the lads, but…we are getting some help right?
Sgt. T: Spot on! This is a cartel operation through and through, we’re expecting some of them capitol boys transferred of the McCraig line, even the Mishimese are sending some of their peasant soldiers and a couple of their samurai.  Not to mention a squad of our own finest Golden Lions led by none other than Sgt. Edward Murdoch himself.  That’s right boys.  The Genuine hero.  ‘Course it won’t be clear sailing that’s a citadel of the Lord of Madness, and his minions won’t be alone, the way command tells it the horde is along for the ride.
Cpl. S: So when can we expect all this help?
Sgt. T: Not rightly sure, but it sounds like the next to arrive will be some tribers the Cartel hired off of dark eden, Cresentians I think they said they call themselves, and our own Lions could arrive soon.