Author Topic: Bauhaus, efficiency and morale  (Read 18497 times)

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Bauhaus, efficiency and morale
« on: July 23, 2006, 12:14:02 PM »
Hi,

i recently found my fire for WZ again, after almost 7 years of absense (1. ed player.., I also played a lot of WFB, also at tournaments).

But now I (almost) own a GIGANATIC bauhaus army (thanks to PA :D :D )

and therefore the question arises: why not field 10 Vulcans???

1 Ministry Executioner @ 66 Pts

1 Ministry Bodyguard @ [19] Pts

12 Hussars @ 348 Pts
     Extra Ablative Armor; AG-17 Panzerknacker AR
     1 Hussar Sgt @ [27] Pts
     1 Hussar HMG @ [29] Pts
     1 Hussar HMG @ [29] Pts
     1 Hussar Medic @ [35] Pts

1 Hussar Kaptain @ 47 Pts
     Command Helment; Coagulant Auto-Injector; AG-17 Panzerknacker AR; Dueling
     Saber; MP-105 Machine Pistol

12 Hussars @ 348 Pts
     Extra Ablative Armor; AG-17 Panzerknacker AR
     1 Hussar Sgt @ [27] Pts
     1 Hussar HMG @ [29] Pts
     1 Hussar HMG @ [29] Pts
     1 Hussar Medic @ [35] Pts

4 Vulkans @ 224 Pts
     1 Vulkan Sgt @ [48] Pts

4 Vulkans @ 224 Pts
     1 Vulkan Sgt @ [48] Pts

2 Strike Skimmer @ 242 Pts

Total Army Cost: 1499

note, 1 supp / 2 units... as will be our houserules.

my qestion is twofold:

first: would this really be THE killer army, as the vulcans will wipe away almost everything, if I got the rules right.. and they really are insanely cheap... a elitetrooper is 28 with an assaultrifle rofl (vulcans ~44 with upgrades)

second: I read that "everyone wants to play space germans"  ;D

so, is it OK to powergame?? If I would come to your lonely WZ round, would you expect a power army?

in the german whfb tournament scene it is (exept it´s regulated) expected that everyone powers..
since eveyone I know wants to train for tournaments, I rarely fight a soft whfb battle...

cu, keep on WARZONE  8)

p.s. there is a goverment building close to my house wich was desingt by a Bauhaus architect  :D
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Bauhaus, efficiency and morale
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 01:14:50 PM »
The Vulkan army of death has been tried and generally, people refuse to play against it.

It's cheddar beyond belief.

don't use it.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem prćparet bellum

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 04:42:29 PM »
It can be taken down, if the opponent knows what's coming.  It's just going to be really tough going.

But yeah, it's pretty cheesy.

"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:56:26 AM »
The 1 support/2 grunts isn't a house rule, its right there in the main rulebook under force composition, the same is true for paradeploy.

And yes Paradeploy cannot land too close to anyone without risking losing units on the drop, which is why you have to play them smart.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:10:04 AM »
Hi,

thanks for your input..

but I want to say, that in german forums there is a well know wisdom:

Those who can read do have a clear advantage.

:)

note, not a bash but a mock!

The 1 support/2 grunts isn't a house rule, its right there in the main rulebook under force composition,
s.a.

the same is true for paradeploy.
Yes, there is, but:

my question was, whether:
...Paradeploy cannot land too close to anyone without risking losing units on the drop, which is why you have to play them smart.
is generally considered a good or bad game balance and

if there is a common houserule for that (if considered bad game balance)

cu´s
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:12:18 AM by Aldrien »
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 12:04:26 PM »
They do have one big weakness
their classed as MORTAL.

dogs can chew them up.
Agents kung fu works on them.
the voice of demigonis comes to mind too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 12:51:17 PM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 12:11:17 PM »
Don't forget that shotguns don't need to roll to hit, and neither do flamethrowers. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 12:18:01 PM »
Sorry for misreading.

Yes I think the way paradeploy is handled is great, and see no reason to change it.  If you could land your paradeploy units anywhere without fear of terrain it makes the game less strategic and more of a dice roll off.  Anything that takes an element of strategy out of the game is not something I'm going to endorse.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 12:21:36 PM »
It's always fun to Paradrop a unit into the enemy's deployment zone a few turns after he advances out of it. :)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 07:05:51 PM »
It's always fun to Paradrop a unit into the enemy's deployment zone a few turns after he advances out of it. :)

Indeed.

In a tourney, one of the missions often used is called "Breakthrough"; and waiting to turn three to deploy the paras to get the points for Breaktrhough is classic.  It is a gamble though as those paras usually are a substantial part of your army points.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 03:33:56 AM »
Aldrien, its already been mentioned that this is cheddar but can be beaten.  I have an army that can beat it and in hand to hand as long as the terrain is moderately placed (no more than 24" of open space between anything).  I know because I've used it against a Bauhaus force before and came away with very few casualties.
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »
The only time I got torn up by Vulcans was on a very open board, with very little cover.  (Still managed to kill 2 of 'em)

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 12:01:01 PM »
Table set up is one of the biggest adjustments for players switching to the current UWZ incarnation of warzone from other systmes like WHFB, and WH40K.  Warzone tables need to be far more dense, if you have more than 24 inches of open ground on the table then your terrain is probably too sparce.  This is one reason why new players, used to more open tables, will look at the Zulcan Army of death and think it the be all end all of army construction.  While it certainly is a formidable opponent on a properly set up table, a well build opposition stands a fair chance of beating them.

Also, Aldrien you might want to think about pairing that force down to 1000pts, I think most of us tend to play games in the 500-1000pt range, and most tourneyments I've attended or read about have fallen in this same range, with 1000pts being a common tourneyment army.

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 03:31:58 PM »
Vulkans are deadly but so are infiltrating Mirrormen with Chasseur RL support. Thos HMGs are useless in CC. Sunset Strikers with Freedon Brigade support can put a hurting on them as well. Dragoons with RLs and snipers along with Romanov Blitzers with flamers would do it as well. And that just off the top of my head.

IMHO the game is meant to be fun and challenging. Thats why at tourneys you get points <from your opponent> for army comp.  Power gaming has its place but the challenge is to build armies that are well rounded.

If you ever get to the states drop me a line and bring the Vulcan army of doom european version. Ill bring the apple pie along with the butt whoopin im gonna hand ya ;D
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 04:20:33 AM »
If you ever get to the states drop me a line and bring the Vulcan army of doom european version. Ill bring the apple pie along with the butt whoopin im gonna hand ya ;D

8)  come get some!

I am quite happy that it is beatable! I just wondered if it is / how hard.

as the 1000P limit: isn´t that a little few? I considered armys of 2 grunts, 2 elite + extras(chars,supp) as a start. thats easy 1200-1500 P.
a game with less then 6 units/side seems a little ... small..!?

especially if you consider that for example any elite unit can wipe out a suad in 1 turn (3 jaeger HMG, RC 11 ...)

ok, I don´t know the mechanisms in game yet, but since a normal squad has morale max 12, with even chars topping at 14 there will be a lot of broken squads, not? therefore, a squad can take only few punishment before wiped out/routed. everything less than 6 units seems to few, as you have very few redundant units that can allow you to act/use tactics.

in WHFB, for exampe, you need at least as many distraction units as fighting units..

hmm...