Author Topic: LOS  (Read 8252 times)

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
LOS
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:13:37 AM »
A firend of mine just pointed this out to me:

Terrain blocks LOS if the major body portions of the model are completely obscured or if the model is in base-to-base contact with the terrain.

I'm not sure I understand the second part. When does it block LOS while in base-to-base contact even if major body portions are not completely obscured?

Offline chribu

Re: LOS
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:15:29 AM »
Second thing: major body portions.
Major body portions: arms, legs, head, torso
Body portions that aren't major: hands and feet
Is this right?

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 02:15:47 PM »
I'm not certain where your friend is getting the "base to base with terrain" idea from unless (s)he is referring to being in cover.

I've moderated national tourney's before and this was my take on it (rough and subjective as it may be)  In order to gain benefit from cover, at least half of the model most be hidden.  However, If more than three quarters of the model is hidden by the terrain then the model is out of LOS.  This goes both ways though.  If a model is behind cover and out of LOS then they can not fire either unless they spend an action to break cover.

The only other thing that I can think of is the MP status.  If a model is in MP behind any type of cover then the model is considered out of LOS.  This is how you get the "pop, shot, and drop" or the crude version "dick dancing" situation.

I hope this helps to clarify for you.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline chribu

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 02:32:22 PM »
he said he quoted the manual (that at the moment I don't have on me).
I've always done the same as you for cover. However, for LOS, i've done as that phrase in the manual: "Terrain blocks LOS if the major body portions of the model are completely obscured"
So, for example, if i hit the model's head with the laser (and the model itself has a standard pose, not a silly one) there's LOS.
Having to use one action to switch between out-of-LOS and behind-cover would allow dick dancing..
In fact as taking MP behind cover to break LOS was a debated but not solved issue, over here in Italy we've ruled against it.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 03:32:25 PM »
We always make them declare intent.

IE.  they can go MP behind cover to break LOS but they have to declare it.  but that's just here.  And usually you can manuever enough to see around the cover and nullify that too.

I'm not entirely certain where he's gettin the base-to-base blocking LOS, maybe he's confused on Cover.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
We've always played that if the model behind the cover can shoot you then you have LOS to him and can shoot him with the cover penalty. Unless he's DD as Chribu stated.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:57:45 PM »
He said page 32 paragraph 1.3
Terrain blocks LOS if the major body portions of the model are completely obscured or if the model is in base-to-base contact with the terrain

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 04:36:50 PM »
It also states in the same paragraph  that if there is any doubt about LOS, simply get down to eye level of the models. If you can see the target, you can shoot it.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 06:11:37 PM »
so... the base-to-base thing is to be ignored?
I don't understand...  :(

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 05:48:13 AM »
Let me simplify it for you if your in B to B contact with a piece of terrain and you dont wat a LOS argument with your opponent just declair your models LOS or that you have no LOS so neither does your Opponent.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 03:01:35 PM »
And how tall/big should this piece of terrain be to allow no-LOS? Hard cover? light cover? So I can break LOS behind anything that gives me hard cover?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 03:30:01 PM »
Tall enough to hit behind. A waist high wall that you are in B to B with will only give you hard cover and does'nt block LOS.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 04:49:01 PM »
So... 75% you said? But i didn't find that measure anywhere on the manual...

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 06:51:58 AM »
Waist high is 50% not 75%, and at 75% there is still LOS to you.  PG 55 9.4.3  Limiting Terrain blocks LOS if it is taller than the model. also under 9.5.2 same pg there is a picture showing the waist high terrain in referrence to cover.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 07:54:05 AM »
i still don't get it...

Can you show me an example where
"Terrain blocks LOS if the major body portions of the model are completely obscured" does not apply (i.e. not all major body portions are obscured)
BUT
"Terrain blocks the model as it is in base-to-base contact with the terrain" applies?

That is, an example where I can actually see some of the major body portions of the model (such as the head) but it's not considered heavy cover but it's considered breaking LOS?