Author Topic: All Good Thing Must Come to an End  (Read 20882 times)

Offline Slappy

• Journeyman
Re: All Good Thing Must Come to an End
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 06:20:12 PM »
It wouldn't matter if you had a way to contact him as he would just ignore you.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 03:27:13 AM »
Devil's advocate:

From what I've gathered from the boards, Thom has been through a lot emotionally and physically these last few months outside of the roller coaster that is EE.  I imagine it is probably the least of his worries right now.  Browbeating him will certainly not help.
He owes us nothing.
There is stuff I'd like to see from him (the supplements that were being worked on, the tool he used to calculate units, etc.- but he OWES us nothing.

If anything, we owe him some respect for what he has given us and some understanding for what he's been through. 
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 05:20:11 AM »
Devil's advocate:

From what I've gathered from the boards, Thom has been through a lot emotionally and physically these last few months outside of the roller coaster that is EE.  I imagine it is probably the least of his worries right now.  Browbeating him will certainly not help.
He owes us nothing.
There is stuff I'd like to see from him (the supplements that were being worked on, the tool he used to calculate units, etc.- but he OWES us nothing.

If anything, we owe him some respect for what he has given us and some understanding for what he's been through. 

Well spoken Veez. I agree totally. We all may be upset as to the current situation, but we should be thankful that we at least have something to continue playing with <pun intended>.
Sure there are things I would love to have for Warzone, but for the time being there doesnt seem to be a way to get them.

Look at this from Thom's perspective... Youve been ill, the company you literally bleed and sweat for is no longer and the people who you made the game for are trashing you because a business failed <not uncommon>. Would you run straight to the boards and explain or would you just let it fade and hope something good comes of it? For all we know Thom maybe trying to get healthy so he can give it another shot. The point is that we DONT know and trashing him isnt going to give us any knowledge. Let just enjoy the game as best we can and let its SPIRIT live on. Theres enough hated and strife in the world to add more because of a game.

Philly
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 01:03:46 PM »
Kudos for Veez and PhillySniper.  I'm with you guys on this one.

The best thing would be to stay here. But what do we do if nothing comes up and this place shuts down?

I think it's just up to the faq team. Where they go, I'll follow ;D

Here's the problem with this train of thought chribu, it appears that the FAQ team doesn't have a lot of cohesion, at least not at the moment.  Pvt Joe is working with FFG, Alpha went over to Grumpel's site, I'm working with Topkick, Seamus has been MIA for some time now,  and I don't really know what Coil and Wedge are upto other than being about as far away as possible (Europe and California respectively).  I've been hanging in here as long as I can but, it seems that the curtains are about to fall.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 02:02:20 PM »
I hope that Thom,  Lance and the rest of the crew are doing OK. 

We are all frustrated at the 2nd demise of Warzone, but I'm really glad that I have a cool ruleset and a whole bunch of cool figs to paint and play with.  I will fill out the last few units I need, and play Warzone for the next many years.   If I miss out on getting that one unit, I'll just proxy it.   

Life goes on, but I'll always have the rules and fluff to base some fun games off of. 

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 06:35:57 PM »
if warzone dies where it lies im with madbrad. proxy.make up rules for new units.its a great story line and with sci-fi the possibilities are endless!game systems come and go (except the evil empire/games workshop,who i blame for warzones demise)and we can salvage figs from other games.there is always something in the clearance bin around town(just got some dark age for REAL CHEAP!).
games workshop: the ultimate evil megacorp!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 04:44:29 AM »
I gotta ask-what's Grumpels site?

It seems like the closer we get to the last day (nine left and counting), the more this board seems to have picked up.  I suppose it goes with the old "don't know what you have 'til it's gone."

I will say I am not unsympathetic with Slappy and Glenn M's point of view (and before you think I'm a nice guy-see what an a-hole I was for no real reason to a guy at minirealms) but I don't think the way to win Thom back is by being harsh (again, I have been a complete jackhole myself so I don't have any room to stand in).  We have all been frustrated by recent events.  I've lashed out myself, some at FFG for their moving in with a completely different concept, some at Topkick with my vile accusations of him smelling like soup, some at Paradox for their soulless corporate handling of the whole thing (which is ironic when you think about the game's background), even comments on my blog that noone reads (and rightly so-it sucks).

I have, however, come to live with dissapointment (these are not accusations, just things I've come to terms with).  We will probably never have a rubric or a unified/officiall source for future UWZ source material, I'll never have my precious 19th Silents unless I convert them myself (and they'll look like trash) we'll never know what Valpurgis' evil plot is,  what the other tribes of earth were like or why the hell Mitch Hunter and Sebastian Crenshaw are having a Mexican Standoff in Rio. 

That said, these things will alway be open for us to explore on our own.  Maybe a year from now, some new soulless corporation will arise and we UWZ victims will whine about what they are doing with the figs, or how they have jimmied with the background and some of us will leave, never to return, but some of us who love the game and the universe will lean forward and, even if grudgingly so, part with our time and treasure to start playing anew.  Until then, we have a stalwart core (mysteriously centered in New Jersey) who will keep the dream alive as a group as onesies and twosies of us will collect our figures and let them gather dust lovingly in our garages in the hopes that once again we will pull them out and wage war on tables across the world.
Until then, we at least have each other.  We have been scattered to the winds like refugees before and have always seemed to gather back together through word of mouth. 

So long as there are the dreamers there is the dream.

I have ranted enough for one post.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Brother Jim

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 07:18:47 PM »
I've signed up on minirealms.....same name and avatar. ::)
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 11:33:13 AM »
I've uploaded a copy of all the messages on this forum on my web site, so that when eventually this forum does go down, there's still a copy for everyone to read.
You can find everything from here: chribu.com

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 11:39:39 AM »
Thank you.

Wedge

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 01:15:15 PM »
@ Stalker - I am here bud... I just don't have a chance to get on often.  I have offered my services to anyone who thinks they may want them (FAQ, playtesting, editing, painting, etc.) but have yet to receive any takers.  I don't know if I was overlooked or purposely disregarded.  Either way, I'd love to see these games continue on in some form or fashion.  Whether I have a hand in it or not is up to those who wish to use my services.

I am still keeping my Semai and Sons of Kronos for the occasional game with friends.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:13:41 PM by Wedge »

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 01:24:07 PM »
  and I don't really know what Coil and Wedge are upto other than being about as far away as possible (Europe and California respectively).
I'm still here although I haven't been able to check in as often as I used to.

It is indeed sad that this place will go down but Mini Realms will welcome us and Coki's site is also very good.

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this forum (and previous incarnations of it). I have gotten to know some really cool people through this forum and it is a shame that we live so far from eachoother since it would have been cool to meet and play a game or two.

I will be around on whatever forum we end up on and I hope to see you there as well.

Keep playing Warzone and Chronopia they are both still really good games and who knows what the future may hold in store.

Thank you
/Andreas Engstrom
(should anyone want to reach me you can send me a PM over at Mini Realms)

Offline Nitron

• Journeyman
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 03:45:42 PM »

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 08:03:35 PM »
I think it's great that so many people are stepping forward now and offering to host a forum.  The problem is that we all need to get on the same page if we want to keep the community together.  If some of us go here and others there then we are splintering and we will diminish.  It sounds as if quite a few people have already gone over to mini-realms. The problem with that is we will be subject to all the nay-sayers that will lurk there.  Chribu has assembled a very close proxy to this forum, it is set up and more or less looks the same.  I am willing to go wherever but I will place a vote for chribu's forum.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 08:09:00 PM »
@ Coil & Wedge

I didn't mean to imply anything by my comment guys, I just didn't want to speak for either of you because I didn't know what to say and I didn't want to misrepresnt.  No hard feelings.