Author Topic: Trading vs. Selling  (Read 5653 times)

Wedge

Trading vs. Selling
« on: March 28, 2006, 10:41:45 AM »
Out of respect for Thom's rules that he mandated for this forum we will continue to enforce the "no selling" rule on this forum.  Regardless of who has the license, etc. Thom's wishes were to not sell items on this site.  Trading is of course still completely legit and forumites should utilize Thom's trading post to complete such transactions.  Any placement of posts suggestive of selling items will be deleted without warning.

Thank you for honoring Thom's wishes and the rules of this forum.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Trading vs. Selling
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 11:04:27 AM »
I'm glad you posted this first Wedge.  I wouldn't have been so polite.  Thom tells me the webhost/forum stuff is paid for a few months (no exact figure) and I would like to see it respected as his, regardless of licensing and EE no longer operating.  He's still providing it, so I hope folks can respect that.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Repulsar Knight

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 01:58:35 AM »
I agree 99%. Come on people, lets not panic. There is still a good chance that the products will be made again.

dagorauk

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 06:25:06 AM »
Actually, Repulsar Knight...no, they won't. A different company (can't remember who) has partial rights to Mutant Chronicles but they don't plan on using the Dark Symmetry system or any of the old models  for Warzone, just the fluff.
Chronopia is just plain finished. The Masters and all other molds were destroyed.

Offline Firstborn

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:40:44 PM »
I'm glad you posted this first Wedge.  I wouldn't have been so polite.  Thom tells me the webhost/forum stuff is paid for a few months (no exact figure) and I would like to see it respected as his, regardless of licensing and EE no longer operating.  He's still providing it, so I hope folks can respect that.

Joshua,

Did you ask Thom if he would provide Cerulean Mists?

If not, could you ask him about this and get a firm answer for the community?

Thanks
Chronopia - The best fantasy miniature wargame ever made

Repulsar Knight

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:36:10 PM »
What a pessimistic approach to have Dagorauk.  Let the education begin: even if EE's molds for Chronopia were destroyed ... (i) your assuming that these were the only molds in existence (one could assume that the original sculptors would have copies or other individuals could have them); (ii) your speculating indirectly that the lost molds cannot be replicated (taking into account that I may not be totally knowledgeable about the manufacturing process - one may logically deduce that, although more expensive, a completed model could be used to produce a mold); (iii) your totally disregarding the possibility that variations of the models may come into existence with a new company (I will not leave you totally in the dark as to what I mean... take for example, the Stygians - they were altered significantly from the first set of molds produced); (iv) your precluding that another company will take on Chronopia (although not an easy task, it is still a possibility, even in this harsh reality).

Kind of off topic ... but I can't resist -  as to your claims of censorship one may simply state "the rules of the forum should govern discourse on the forum". If this does not appeal to you, than I will even provide a solution: create your own forum.

I am not trying to be antagonistic and wish the best for you Dagorauk.

Repulsar Knight

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 04:31:29 AM »
If you are interested in actually selling and don't want to violate the rules to this forum you can go to minirealms and set up a thread there.

AFIAC, this forum is for camraderie, rules discussion, MC philosophy debates and the like. 
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

dagorauk

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 02:35:35 PM »
What a pessimistic approach to have Dagorauk.  Let the education begin: even if EE's molds for Chronopia were destroyed ... (i) your assuming that these were the only molds in existence (one could assume that the original sculptors would have copies or other individuals could have them); (ii) your speculating indirectly that the lost molds cannot be replicated (taking into account that I may not be totally knowledgeable about the manufacturing process - one may logically deduce that, although more expensive, a completed model could be used to produce a mold); (iii) your totally disregarding the possibility that variations of the models may come into existence with a new company (I will not leave you totally in the dark as to what I mean... take for example, the Stygians - they were altered significantly from the first set of molds produced); (iv) your precluding that another company will take on Chronopia (although not an easy task, it is still a possibility, even in this harsh reality).

Kind of off topic ... but I can't resist -  as to your claims of censorship one may simply state "the rules of the forum should govern discourse on the forum". If this does not appeal to you, than I will even provide a solution: create your own forum.

I am not trying to be antagonistic and wish the best for you Dagorauk.

Repulsar Knight

This response is late in coming, but it's merely because I find little reason to frequent here anymore. But anyway, let me state why I firmly believe we will not see Warzone or Chronopia reproduced again.

First, these games have now twice been discontinued. "Third's a charm" does not apply in the business world. To be perfectly honest, I doubt anyone with the manpower or cash to properly fund and support these games would rather do one of their own...or, not Chronopia or Warzone. The way to look at it is with a legal term, one might consider these products "Fruit of the poison tree" because there is bad history twice. Excelsior had a hard time getting much of a fanbase, probably for several reasons, but one of them because fans from Target days didn't want to deal with a game that flopped flopping on them again. Sorry to say, but it happened.

Second, as to making minis. I would like to just point to my first statements and remind you that if no one has the rights, we won't see any minis except mods from hardcore fans, and maybe a little sculpting. No production, or very very limited production. Further, no, I don't think the artists bother to keep the greens lying around. Yes, you probably could make a mold from an existing miniature, but ideally you want the original so you won't have a copy that has flaws and those flaws being projected into the mold. As for if there are other molds, from what I understand all the original molds from the Target days were sold off, and Thom and crew hunted them all down before launching again. Unless what I've heard of these molds being destroyed is false...all the molds are gone.

You might see my views as pessimistic, and they might be a slight be so, but I'm also looking at things realistically. Wishful thinking won't produce a company that wants to carry Warzone and Chronopia.