Author Topic: Mutant Chronicles Movie Update  (Read 16137 times)

Offline Schogun

Mutant Chronicles Movie Update
« on: March 27, 2006, 03:28:37 PM »
From Sci-Fi Wire:

Jane, Malkovich Join Mutant

John Malkovich will portray a 23rd-century corporate overlord opposite Thomas Jane in Simon Hunter's SF action thriller The Mutant Chronicles, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Producer Edward J. Pressman made the announcement on March 24.

Malkovich's character, Constantine, heads a United Nations-style council of four corporation-run countries that have pillaged Earth's natural resources. When a marauding army of "NecroMutants" wages a battle against humans for the little that remains, Constantine is tempted to destroy the planet and evacuate some of its people rather than allow it to be overtaken, all with the corporations' best interests in mind.

Jane plays Maj. Mitch Hunter, a Marine who leads the humans in their fight and becomes Constantine's antagonist. The story is based on the popular role-playing board game.

Both Jane and Malkovich were attracted to the project based on a seven-minute trailer Simon Hunter put together, along with Philip Eisner's screenplay, Pressman told the trade paper.

The film is scheduled to begin shooting in early summer in London and on the Isle of Man.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
Re: Mutant Chronicles Movie Update
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »
Thanks for the update look forward to the movie.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Slappy

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 05:43:09 PM »
I have my fingers crossed.  So many things could go wrong with this movie.

Now that I am an adult, I don't like movies like this anymore.  When I was a teenager playing Warzone, I'd go nuts over this, but now, I just cringe.  I hate pretty much all comic and video game movies.  They are badly written, directed, they have no philisophical point to them, no commentary on the human condition, nothing relevant to the world we live in.  They are just mindless action, special effects, and fan service.

I just hope this is different.  Am I delusional in that hope?

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:48:27 AM »
Malkovich is great news. He's a great actor and his presence will certainly raise the movie's profile.

Offline semai99

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 03:44:04 AM »
Malkovich is great news. He's a great actor and his presence will certainly raise the movie's profile.

I've go to agree here he will get more people interested than Janes involvement will.
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Pietia

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:26:05 AM »
I'm afraid (ok, actually I'm absolutely sure) that this movie is going to suck. Worse - it's going to have nothing in common (except few names) with our beloved game. I only hope that it will have no impact on the "official" storyline of Warzone, MC CMG and other similar products.

zebuleon

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »
Well seeing as this is only the second feature Simon Hunter has directed doesn't bode well. 

From every thing I've read the storyline is pre-exodus earth, but with necromutants.  From what I remember from the storyline the Dark Legion didn't show up till after the exodus, when the expansion started.  So the stroyline has already been changed.

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:08:54 AM »
I'm always very sceptical when Hollywood trys to make a movie out of a very complex background.It tends to simplify things (thats why mainstream movies of great books suck in my opinion ;) ).

But i think we have to wait and see (and hope they have a story besides a lot of cgi) as a lot of cgi's usualy make producers think they dont need a coherent storyline  ;D.
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Wedge

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 10:45:13 AM »
The introduction of good actors won't necessarily make the movie better.  I have seen some really good mainstream actors act in some real bombs.  I like John Malkovich to be sure, but this movie is unfortunately going to be very lame--in my biased opinion.

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 05:55:27 AM »
There will only be a few similarities:

1) the idea of corporations replacing nations
2) monsters
3) the name Mitch Hunter
4) some of the symbols

If only paradox was as loyal to it's universe as Terry Nation was to his. If he didn't think a dalek story was good it didn't get made until it was. Of course now that he's dead they are worshiping gods and falling through time left and right.

The problem here is Paradox. They didn't create MC and have no attachment to it other then as much money as it can bring them.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 11:32:59 AM »
The problem here is Paradox. They didn't create MC and have no attachment to it other then as much money as it can bring them.
Actually that's not quite true. Fredrik Malmberg at Paradox has been involved with the MC Universe fromt he very beginning, even before it became Mutant Chronicles. He was one of the founders of Äventyrsspel, which later became Target and then Paradox.

I believe Nils Gullikson (perhaps primarily known for his contributions to the art of MC) is also still involved with Paradox.

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 08:36:21 PM »
im new but ive been playing mutant chronicles in some way,shape or form since 96. 10 years of doomtroopin! this movie sounds cool,but it as some have said may take from the real story and oversimplify it. the folks who came up with the original premise did great! the story begs to be told!
games workshop: the ultimate evil megacorp!

Offline Webwolf

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 12:22:33 PM »
Hi all,

Maybe will the movie get more to play Warzone? ???

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 01:13:40 AM »
well... no.

Only perhaps sleeping ex-fans how buy some more old stuff and try a game with friends.
But without anyone producing warzone...
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 06:57:52 PM »
maybe that fantasy flight collectable miniature game will grab some attention in the gaming community.
games workshop: the ultimate evil megacorp!