Author Topic: Sky Chariot  (Read 7797 times)

deurbroucq

Sky Chariot
« on: September 24, 2005, 04:24:10 AM »
Hello all!

I am not sure if we are playing this right.  Sky Chariot allows a unit to ignore terrain movement penalties and enemy models, because it carries the unit at incredible heights.  However, if all entrances into a building are blocked by enemy models, may the unit fly through the models, walls, or roof (ignoring the terrain), and get inside?  Kinda like gaseous form?  Or is the Sky Chariot a physical structure?

We have been saying that it is a physical structure and this can't be done, because normally not being able to move through a model/wall/roof is not a movement penalty, per se, but an illegal move.  Please let me know if I am wrong so we can correct our play.  I appreciate it!

Thanks!
deurbroucq  :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 04:27:43 AM by deurbroucq »

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Sky Chariot
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 04:47:21 AM »
Sounds like you've been playing it right.  Don't you still have to have line of sight from point A to B?  So how would you enter a building without line of sight to the interior?
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 07:00:35 AM »
Check the description of the spell., there is no mention of LOS.

I would not let it transport a unit into a building if all the entrances are blocked or closed though and certainly not through walls, roofs etc.

/Andreas

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 07:44:07 AM »
My mistake.  But I still think ignoring movement penalties doesn't mean "beaming up" like in Star Trek.  Again, one of those things that could use a bit of tidying up. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

deurbroucq

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 10:32:39 AM »
In a scenario we are playing, the victory condition is retrieving an artifact from a building and running it back to "base."  Getting to the artifact first is important, so being able to Sky Chariot into the building (through a wall/roof) would be a huge advantage.  We didn't know if it was possible, as that changes everyone's game plan with the Elves.  The group was 50/50 on this rule.

deurbroucq  :P

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 01:46:11 PM »
I would have to agree with both Coil and Josh. "Sky Chariot" is one thing..."Sky Beam-Out", is another matter entirely.

Ignoring movement penalties does not, or should not, allow access to a point the model could not otherwise access to, such as the inside of a building with all other points of entry blocked.

It would seem to be common sense, but I do admit that if you really wanted to be a rules-lawyer about it, it could use some clarification.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 10:57:44 PM »
For the scenario you are playing it sounds like Sky Chariot could make things very boring for the other players. So I'd suggest limiting Sky Charioting into the building anyway.

/Andreas

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:15:23 PM »
Fair question. Consider the chariot to be a solid structure. It can carry a warband to a certain distance but the reference to "terrain" should not be construed as being able to pass through walls. The chariot goes up to great heights, it does not enter terrain.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!