Author Topic: Fantasy Flight Games will produce MC CMG  (Read 51305 times)

MikeE

Re: Fantasy Flight Games will produce MC CMG
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2006, 06:17:15 PM »
The game may or may not be fun and successful, however, many of the things that have been mentioned as improvements to the system, I take as a slap in the face.  What they call tediousness in creating a force list I call an opportunity to showcase my strategy and style.  Why do the rules need to be streamlined?

You are mis-understanding the intent of the ad-copy.   FFG is not comparing their game specifically to Warzone.  They are refering to miniature games in general.   They do have a few fair points.  Miniature games are not known for their brevity of rules.  And between points values and TO&Es, force creation can be a hassle.

I personally play a number of miniature games (Everything from Attack Vector:Tactial to Flames of War) and disagree with FFG about how they are promoting the different facets of their game.  I'll let them know that they are being insulting to the existing Warzone fan base.

FFG always tries new ideas with their games and their approach to force creation is pretty interesting and has potential.   They are not interested in making a WH40K clone, a Warmachine clone, a Mechwarrior clone, nor a Warzone clone.  They want to make something new and put their own stamp on the hobby.

However, I feel as if they are not considering the desires of the current  fan base of this universe.

Warzone fans do not make up the entire fan base of Mutant Chronicles.  As you said, MC:CMG is not Warzone.  Blame Paradox for not allowing both miniature games to exist at the same time.   Battletech and Mechwarrior have been co-existing for a number of years now without ill-effect.

I think that FFG is fool-hearty if they think that it will take the place of the table top metal-minis.

I think that I can say that FFG agrees with you.  They are not aiming for the metal-minis market, they are aiming for the market that Wizkids discovered.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2006, 07:44:14 PM »
I think that I can say that FFG agrees with you.  They are not aiming for the metal-minis market, they are aiming for the market that Wizkids discovered.

Confirmation of what I posted earlier in this thread. At this point I think it appropriate to paraphrase Molly Hatchet's Fall of the Peacemakers -

A wise man told me there's something you should know - the way you judge a man is you look into his soul...and you'll soon see everything

I was an Envoy for Wizkids and stared into it's soul and I know what is there - Greed. Figures that were progressively worse than the previous release; a retirement system to force players to continually replace figures in order to play in sanctioned events; a sanctioned event system rife with corruption and favoritism....I could go on but why. The decision is made and the FFG's Head of Playtesting has just told you the direction his road will take the game.

I will not go down that road but I wish all my forum family that do peace and a good journey. I will follow my own path. Maybe some of my brothers will join me; maybe not. For all of us I echo the sentiment of Edward R. Murrow - "Good Night and Good Luck"
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 09:06:08 PM »
I will not go down that road but I wish all my forum family that do peace and a good journey. I will follow my own path. Maybe some of my brothers will join me; maybe not. For all of us I echo the sentiment of Edward R. Murrow - "Good Night and Good Luck"

I was just waiting for you to say "so long...and thanks for all the fish"

;)
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2006, 09:09:30 PM »
I was saving my Hitxhhikers Guide quotes for my final post before they turn out the lights  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

MikeE

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2006, 09:19:09 PM »
The decision is made and the FFG's Head of Playtesting has just told you the direction his road will take the game.

Except that I didn't say any of that.   I don't know what the organized play plans are as they are not my concern and I'm too busy playtesting other games at the moment.

Wizkids discovered that there was a market for pre-painted miniatures with a reduced ruleset.  It is quite different from the metal-miniatures market.

The metal-miniatures market is composed of people who like to paint and mod miniatures, create terrain, create army lists, and play a game.  The majority of the time is spent on painting and modding miniatures.  It is the market of the serious gamer.

The pre-painted market is composed of people who like to create army lists and playing the game.  It is the market of the casual gamer.

It is a potentially big market.  At my local game store, D&D minis is their number 1 seller outpacing even 40K (and they have a real healthly 40K crowd).

Just because FFG is aiming at the same market does not mean that their business plans are the same.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2006, 09:30:23 PM »
The decision is made and the FFG's Head of Playtesting has just told you the direction his road will take the game.
Just because FFG is aiming at the same market does not mean that their business plans are the same.

Lie down with dogs and you get up with fleas buckwheat. You are the one that attached your company's market aims to Wizkid's name - I'm just the one that pointed out that it wasn't a smart association.

MikeE

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2006, 09:39:35 PM »
Lie down with dogs and you get up with fleas buckwheat. You are the one that attached your company's market aims to Wizkid's name - I'm just the one that pointed out that it wasn't a smart association.

First of all, it isn't my company.  I don't work for FFG.  I run their playtest program as a volunteer.

Secondly, it is an historical fact that Wizkids discovered/created the pre-painted miniatures market.

Thirdly, you are the one making the association between target market and business plans.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2006, 09:59:45 PM »
First of all, it isn't my company.  I don't work for FFG.  I run their playtest program as a volunteer.
I understand this arguement. I used to use it when someone tried to use my personal opinion and turn it into an official Excelsior position. I sympathize with you but stand by my point.

Secondly, it is an historical fact that Wizkids discovered/created the pre-painted miniatures market.
If you say so - as it is not germaine to my point I won't look into this claim

Thirdly, you are the one making the association between target market and business plans.
Probably because the target market is an important part of a business plan. So is how you plan to treat that target market. As I stated before - You are the one that attached the company's market aims to Wizkid's name - I'm just the one that pointed out that it wasn't a smart association.

MikeE

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 10:44:43 PM »
I'm just the one that pointed out that it wasn't a smart association.

No, you are the one forecasting doom and gloom based on your previous experience with Wizkid's organized play program.

You took a comment that I meant as a positive note and turned it into the second coming.

Just to make the intent of my comment clear:  MC:CMG is not a replacement for Warzone.  It is aimed at a different segment of the market.  There is a chance that FFG or some other company will bring Warzone back once Paradox decides that the market can support two miniature games based on Mutant Chronicles.

Offline The One King

• Do you know what the SOK's got cook'n?
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2006, 10:45:52 PM »
Mike E.

I don't know you at all. Nor do I know what your companies plans are.

YES, since you seem to be the point person, right now that makes you the company rep., no matter how you argue against it.

just consider this. In referance to Wiz Kids.

If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and acts like a duck. Chances are It's a duck.

And about blaming Paradox,  FFG when you point the finger, four fingers point back at you.

All the same, I wish you no ill will. You're just caught in this Soap Opera like everyone else.
Best of luck with your CMG.
It's clobberin time!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2006, 10:53:18 PM »
Wizkids discovered that there was a market for pre-painted miniatures with a reduced ruleset.  It is quite different from the metal-miniatures market

That's true, and ideally that's how it should have gone. However, anyone that has played WK's games for any length of time knows the frustration that goes with having a rulebook that is 6 pages long, and 20 pages of FAQ's.

The reduced ruleset comes at quite a cost. Simplicity is not always the best option.

The pre-painted market is composed of people who like to create army lists and playing the game.  It is the market of the casual gamer.

It also happens to be the market of the under 12 set, with Mommy and Daddy's money to spend so they'll get out of their hair for a couple of hours.  This is, by it's very nature, the target of the CMG market. People with lots of money to blow, and very short attention spans.

It is a potentially big market.  At my local game store, D&D minis is their number 1 seller outpacing even 40K (and they have a real healthly 40K crowd).

Not at all surprising, considering a CMG'er has to buy new sets every few months just to keep up with playability and new rules/figs/shiny new bits/what have you. This is the very heart of the CMG, and any other collectible game. You have to keep buying to stay current. This is something I abhor like little else.

To think that FFG will not take this route is laughable at best. You can't make a collectible game survive without it. It simply cannot be done. Again, it goes back to the very mechanics and habits of a collectible game, or anything else collectible, for that matter. In order to stay current, you have to get the newest set, newest fig, whatever it may be. It is a never-ending, check-writing, Rytalin-filled power struggle.

Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2006, 10:57:11 PM »
I'm just the one that pointed out that it wasn't a smart association.

No, you are the one forecasting doom and gloom based on your previous experience with Wizkid's organized play program.

You took a comment that I meant as a positive note and turned it into the second coming.

Just to make the intent of my comment clear:  MC:CMG is not a replacement for Warzone.  It is aimed at a different segment of the market.  There is a chance that FFG or some other company will bring Warzone back once Paradox decides that the market can support two miniature games based on Mutant Chronicles.

Item 1 - You might get a bit more respect out of me if you showed yourself instead of hiding and sniping from the dark

Item 2 - Not forecasting anything - merely pointing out how what you said could be interpreted. How you meant it is less important than how it is preceived you meant it.

Item 3 - That decision will be based on the following - A) How the movie does; B) How well the CMG is received and how much of the potential market failed to materialize from fans who pass on the CMG concept.

I wished you good luck and said I didn't want to go down FFG's road - maybe if you had respected that this is EE's forum for the TTG version and not tried to hype your release you wouldn't have made the Wizkids comment and gotten yourself into this. You asked for this so suck it up buckwheat and play nice in our sandbox

MikeE

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2006, 11:39:14 PM »
Item 1 - You might get a bit more respect out of me if you showed yourself instead of hiding and sniping from the dark

You mean besides posting my full name?  I normally post as Mike Z, but in this case I posted as Mike E.  My middle name is Edward and my last name is Zebrowski.  Just type "Mike Z" or Mike Zebrowski and gaming into google and you'll find all sorts of information on me.

I wished you good luck and said I didn't want to go down FFG's road - maybe if you had respected that this is EE's forum for the TTG version and not tried to hype your release you wouldn't have made the Wizkids comment and gotten yourself into this.

I haven't hyped a damm thing.  I didn't start any of the topics related to this subject and have only responded to other people's posts with what little information that I have.  If you rather wallow in ignorance, be my guest.

You asked for this so suck it up buckwheat and play nice in our sandbox

Oh, I have been playing nice.

Offline sandorado

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2006, 11:50:40 PM »
I think that FFG is a good company, and all that they will make will be good quality and positive for brand MC.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2006, 11:57:06 PM »
Sandorado - never said they weren't or wouldn't...just said it wasn't for me and that this wasn't the place to hype it. Mr Unofficial here is taking offense over a comment I made about his comparison between FFG and Wizkids

Chill Mikey - don't blow a gasket. I meant stop logging in hidden - instead step up to the  plate and let everyone know you're here.

As for hyping I have to disagree. We all appreciated the announcement and several people have begun to check in over at the FFG site. I haven't because I am not interested in the FFG approach to the game. Out of respect I have not chimed in over there to tell you how I feel - that is your sandbox. You should have posted an invitation for people with questions to go there. Instead you stayed here and hyped FFG's approach. To me that shows a lack of respect for those of us who haven't committed to the FFG approach. I'm not ignorant of CMG's; in fact you seem to be getting upset because I know about CMG's and pointed out something that you didn't like.

As for playing nice - my advice is to keep doing it.