Author Topic: Fantasy Flight Games will produce MC CMG  (Read 51306 times)

Offline Christof

• Linia Frontu
Re: Fantasy Flight Games will produce MC CMG
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 11:12:19 PM »

Yeah, not a warm and fuzzy on this one.  I'd start planning a rendezvous point like dakkadakka if this place goes down.

V/R

Ian

A rendezvous site is a good idea.

http://www.minirealms.com/   ?
LINIA FRONTU - Ultimate Warzone Website
my wargaming blog

MikeE

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 12:51:42 AM »
I really don't feel comfortable talking about a game in another company's forum, so I'll just mention a few things.

1) FFG is not doing Warzone.  FFG is doing a completely new game set in the MC universe.  There is a chance that FFG might do a new version of Warzone in the future, but is it doubtful as the metal miniature market is rather full of excellent games.

2) The scale isn't set in stone as the figures haven't been produced yet.  If you want to see a different scale (and are willing to actually buy the game when it comes out), email FFG at ffg@fantasyflightgames.com .  Remember that polite, well-reasoned arguments will actually be read.

3) The current scale, 36mm, is roughly equivelent to the O scale in model railroading

4) If you are interested in playtesting the new game, email me at playtest@fantasyflightgames.com with the subject "MC playtesting" .  I have only a few slot reserved for current Warzone fans, so please don't be disappointed if I turn you down.  Also, please don't email me any complaints.  I have no power to change things and I'll simply delete your email.

Mike Edward Zebrowski

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 04:42:23 AM »

A rendezvous site is a good idea.

http://www.minirealms.com/   ?

I'm there.  I hope this website lives on but it does not take a Brotherhood Mystic to see with EE's financial troubles this place may not be around for long sadly.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline The_Collector

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 04:46:52 AM »
What will happen with all the Warzone/Chronopia stuff EE still has in stock?

Is it still for sale or is it going to be destroyed?

I hope I can still lay my hand on some stuff.

TC
Exitus Acta Probat

Offline alt_joe

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 04:52:59 AM »
Check the thread about whether or not EE is bankrupt.

-PFC joe

Offline The_Collector

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 05:00:54 AM »
Thanks for the info, but that didn't really answer my question.

Exitus Acta Probat

Offline semai99

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 05:57:18 AM »

2) The scale isn't set in stone as the figures haven't been produced yet.  If you want to see a different scale (and are willing to actually buy the game when it comes out), email FFG at ffg@fantasyflightgames.com .  Remember that polite, well-reasoned arguments will actually be read.

3) The current scale, 36mm, is roughly equivelent to the O scale in model railroading

The biggest item is not just the size but the quality of the figures that will be the biggest seller to most gamers the Axis & Allies figures were a real let down after all the hipe
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline behemoth

• Journeyman
    • Kimmo's Corner
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 09:50:15 AM »
Oh well ... my worst case scenario was Hasbro with pre-painted rubber "miniatures".
So it's FFG and not Hasbro. Ok...

I was already phasing out from WZ to Urban War and I think now I have a real reason to convert WarZone stuff to Urban War system.

"Just 'Cos You Got The Power,
That don't mean you got the right."
-Motorhead

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 10:10:24 AM »
I'll give any new incarnation of the Mutant Chronicles universe a try, but based on what I have seen I am not enthusiastic.  Of course we don't know much at this point and all the detials remain to be seen, not to mention I'm still struggling to get over my knee jerk fear of change.  The two biggest issues I see are the collectable nature of the proposed game and the scale.

I dislike the idea of investing in a product without specific knowledge of what I'm getting for my money.  The theory behind the collectable game market is that people will continue to purchase the boosters in hopes of getting that last mini they need to complete their army.  I for one will not due that, I stopped playing Magic the Gathering in 1996 at the age of 13 when I came to the conclusion that continuing to accumulate a staggering number of cards I will never use was a rediculous proposition, I have yet to get involved in another random collectable game since.  Another pitfall of the Collectable Miniatures game market is variety, looking at the Star Wars collectable miniatures game as an example we see that they've released 4 sets over the course of 4 years, each set containing 60 distinct miniatures, that means that in total there have been 240 distinct sculpts released for that game, which even after 4 productive years of introducing new product there is less variety of troops available than we've grown accustomed to with Warzone.  Especially in a setting with 14 unique factions seeing them all represented and well developed will be nigh impossible.

Scale is an issue, not only asthetically (which is entirely a matter of personal preference), but also as Topkick pointed out practically when considering terrain.  MikeE's post reminding us that 36mm is approximately O scale was likely an effort to point out some readily available terrain, but I haven't come accross much in the way of model railroad terrain that really says Mutant Chronicles  to me.  Especially since I've just finished recreating all 9 original Seige of the Citidel boards in 28mm scale to use as indoor fighting terrain.

A final concern I have is the potential rule set, while I know nothing about it the claims that it is "simple" and "streamlined" raise concerns that it will lack the level of nuance and tactical variety we've enjoyed in previous MC miniature games.

All in all I am interested to see what FFG will produce and how it stacks up to my addmittedly high expectations.  I promise to try to remember that this is an entirely new game and not the future of warzone.  Hopefully they will also decide to continue warzone in a manner more akin to the Table top game we know and love.

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 02:51:35 PM »
I think FFG will make an excellent product. I have enjoyed playing all of there games.

They will restore faith in the brand, every game store carries FFG. This can only be positive for the future of MC.

As for the future of Warzone as we know it specifically, we'll have to wait and see. I don't regret excelsiors era, and look forward to whatever awaits us. Worst comes to worse we can still continue to enjoy UWZ or 2nd or 1st edition :)

Offline The One King

• Do you know what the SOK's got cook'n?
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 03:17:44 PM »
I wish FFG the best of luck, but I think I'm with Topkick on this one. :'(

Is the Warzone CMG going to be a good game? - I truthfully do not know. Is it the direction Paradox should have gone? - I honestly do not think so. Is the CMG road one I will travel with Warzone as I have all the other roads the game has gone down? - I doubt it.

It's clobberin time!

Vingthor

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2006, 03:21:21 PM »
 Well lets hope that who even gets the RPG license will make a good showing of updating the system and setting.

PMP Ving

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 04:38:21 PM »
The point has been made and it is valid, that FFG is not making WZ but a different aspect of the universe. Yes, we all (or at least most) have enjoyed the MC universe in various incarnations.  As part of my Crusader application I even boasted that I have a complete set of DoomTrooper (the card game for those who don't recognize the name).  However, how often do we actually play those other incarnations?  My SotC/Fury/ Blood Beret pieces are converted/painted and used for my UWZ games.  The bottom line is that we (here at this forum) are here because of the metal-mini game and not the other aspects of the universe.  All of the other incarnations are fine for what they are but, the backbone of this universe has been the metal table top for many years now.  It has even usurped the genesis of this universe, the RPG!

I harbor no ill will towards FFG. They are a business and they are doing what businesses do.  They are indeed doing what they feel they must in order to MAKE MONEY!  The game may or may not be fun and successful, however, many of the things that have been mentioned as improvements to the system, I take as a slap in the face.  What they call tediousness in creating a force list I call an opportunity to showcase my strategy and style.  Why do the rules need to be streamlined?  As a community we tend to agree that (typos and editing aside) we have one of, if not the best rules system around in the realm of miniatures gaming

I actually do wish FFG luck and appreciate them adding another option to the MC universe.  However, I feel as if they are not considering the desires of the current  fan base of this universe.  They seem to be going out of thier way to design a game which does not appeal to the group which kept this universe alive, only for them to grab the license and CAPITALIZE on the blood, sweat, and tears of those who have sponsored the game before them!

I encourage everyone who is a fan of the MC universe to try out the game with an open mind.  I think that it may indeed find a place within the realm of MC much like SotC, Fury, DoomTrooper, etc.  but, I think that FFG is fool-hearty if they think that it will take the place of the table top metal-minis.   

That said, I further encourage everyone to not panic and start selling off your metal thinking that the system is dead.  I know that Joe, myself, Topkick and others are looking at preserving UWZ and keeping it not just alive, but thriving.  If you don't believe me, make your way to Origins this year.  The Mid-Western Crusaders' Club will be hosting enough UWZ and Chronopia events that we do not have a break in the schedule from Thursday morning to Saturday at midnight.

Respectfully,
Stalker
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Spagg

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2006, 04:45:59 PM »
The point has been made and it is valid, that FFG is not making WZ but a different aspect of the universe. Yes, we all (or at least most) have enjoyed the MC universe in various incarnations.  As part of my Crusader application I even boasted that I have a complete set of DoomTrooper (the card game for those who don't recognize the name).  However, how often do we actually play those other incarnations?  My SotC/Fury/ Blood Beret pieces are converted/painted and used for my UWZ games.  The bottom line is that we (here at this forum) are here because of the metal-mini game and not the other aspects of the universe.  All of the other incarnations are fine for what they are but, the backbone of this universe has been the metal table top for many years now.  It has even usurped the genesis of this universe, the RPG!

I harbor no ill will towards FFG. They are a business and they are doing what businesses do.  They are indeed doing what they feel they must in order to MAKE MONEY!  The game may or may not be fun and successful, however, many of the things that have been mentioned as improvements to the system, I take as a slap in the face.  What they call tediousness in creating a force list I call an opportunity to showcase my strategy and style.  Why do the rules need to be streamlined?  As a community we tend to agree that (typos and editing aside) we have one of, if not the best rules system around in the realm of miniatures gaming

I actually do wish FFG luck and appreciate them adding another option to the MC universe.  However, I feel as if they are not considering the desires of the current  fan base of this universe.  They seem to be going out of thier way to design a game which does not appeal to the group which kept this universe alive, only for them to grab the license and CAPITALIZE on the blood, sweat, and tears of those who have sponsored the game before them!

I encourage everyone who is a fan of the MC universe to try out the game with an open mind.  I think that it may indeed find a place within the realm of MC much like SotC, Fury, DoomTrooper, etc.  but, I think that FFG is fool-hearty if they think that it will take the place of the table top metal-minis.   

That said, I further encourage everyone to not panic and start selling off your metal thinking that the system is dead.  I know that Joe, myself, Topkick and others are looking at preserving UWZ and keeping it not just alive, but thriving.  If you don't believe me, make your way to Origins this year.  The Mid-Western Crusaders' Club will be hosting enough UWZ and Chronopia events that we do not have a break in the schedule from Thursday morning to Saturday at midnight.

Respectfully,
Stalker

Very well said Stalker. I agree with everything you have stated. Know that the Louisville crew (Myself, Mark and Trevor) will be there with you guys every step of the way. We love both Chronopia and Warzone and we can't wait to get some more games in with you guys. Origins is a maybe at this point (I am getting married on June 11th and will be cutting it close getting back from the honeymoon) but we want to hook up as soon as possible for some gaming with, in our opinion, the best mini game system out there.

Offline The One King

• Do you know what the SOK's got cook'n?
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2006, 05:17:11 PM »
Great post Stalker, had to give a karma for it. ;D
It's clobberin time!