Author Topic: Fantasy Flight Games will produce MC CMG  (Read 51307 times)

Offline alt_joe

Fantasy Flight Games will produce MC CMG
« on: March 13, 2006, 05:53:49 PM »
well.  here it is.

-PFC joe

Offline Roach Company

• Playtestor
Re: Fantasy Flight Games will produce MC CMG
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
Am I Magic?

Sure. Just point my gun and shoot and it’s AbraCadaver.

Another dead guy. Big whoop. Got a hundred of them already. Kill and keep killing until they tell you to stop. That’s life in Roach Company for you.

It’s a living.

Offline alt_joe

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:55:20 PM »
(you can just click on the word "here")

I'm not sure what to think.  FFG makes outstanding games, but it's a Collectibles game.

interesting times.

-PFC joe

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:01:29 PM »
Oh dear.

I don't know if I should be frightened or not.

Howerver, their Doom game rocks. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline kman

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 07:12:50 PM »
Maybe it was just a kneejerk reaction, but I couldn't help but feel my stomach sink when I read that press release.  Fantasy Flight does indeed make great games.  Beautiful games.  And, if they had produced a Mutant Chronicles miniatures game before the first incarnation of Warzone, I would probably have looked on the preview figures at GenCon with appreciation.

But, unfortunately, this game does not predate Warzone.  It is, for all intents and purposes, the successor of the game that keeps all of us coming to this site.  And, this successor is about as far from the original as it can get while still being called a miniatures game.  While we no doubt all love the MC background, I'm pretty sure that most of us were first attracted to the game after being introduced to its solid rules system.  And FFG has, for all intent and purposes, informed us that they won't be using the same rules system.  While I can appreciate an elegant, stream-lined system, one that touts itself as alleviating the tedium of assembling army lists leaves me worried.  I've yet to meet a person who found constructing armies in WZ to be intimidating.

And while FFG seems to have found a remedy for the concern that any licensee would have to worry about a glut of old WZ figs in the market, the choice of 36mm means that I'll be doing nothing more than admiring the figs at GenCon.  I truly think that FFG could have built themselves a market without making part of that market old fans of MC figures who need to buy a whole new scale just to stay current.  Keep the scale and armies consistent to satisfy the veterans, but release only new toys to attract a new market.

Oh well, as numerous others have mentioned, we've still got our figures and copies of our favorite incarnations of the rules.  Guess we'll just have to see whether or not FFG produces a game that attracts us the same way the originals did.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 07:13:38 PM »
I see on that site it states there will be 36mm detailed and painted. So what will the game become mage knight set in the MC universe? I hope not. I been around since the beginning and will hate to see the game change again.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Spagg

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 07:34:38 PM »
I see on that site it states there will be 36mm detailed and painted. So what will the game become mage knight set in the MC universe? I hope not. I been around since the beginning and will hate to see the game change again.

I believe that is absolutely FFG's intent. I am not very happy about this at all. I like FFG and own several of their games, however this does not seem to be the Warzone that I will play. I will continue to play with the miniatures I already own with the UWZ rules. It does bum me out though to think of all the unreleased minis and no support. I guess my last hope is that Chronopia gets picked up by a company that wants to continue with Chronopia in at least somewhat of it's original state.

I do hope I'm wrong, but the press release seems to indicate a tremendous change.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 07:36:27 PM »
Gotta side with Joe on this one.  This is among the worst-case scenarios I was worried about.

Let me be the resident schnook on this one:

I don't have a good feeling about this.

I am going to insert a line of stars and you can put in whatevery profanity you feel applies

************************************************************!

I don't feel enthusiastic about this and am not willing to put on a happy face.  

I've seen their LOTR stuff and although I'm sure it is of good enough quality and what-not it is not a miniature game, it's a CCG with lousy rubber figs.  Let's face it, there is already a legitmate (and I know I've said the worst things about GW) TTG; why the heck would they want to do up another one?  This tells me that they are in it only for the cash (yes all game companies are in it for the cash but most give some indication of loving the game or its world or whatever).  That and their lineup seems oddly devoid of original titles.

Yeah, not a warm and fuzzy on this one.  I'd start planning a rendezvous point like dakkadakka if this place goes down.

V/R

Ian
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 07:38:09 PM by Veez »
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline wargame_junkie

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 07:36:47 PM »
Any hopes I had for the future this game have now been thouroghly extinguished.

Plastic pre-painted Vulkan battle suits.  That I may or may not get in a booster.  Yeah, I'll be spending loads of money on the new game.

Whoopee.

>:(
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 07:39:43 PM by wargame_junkie »

Offline Spagg

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 07:43:36 PM »

Yeah, not a warm and fuzzy on this one.  I'd start planning a rendezvous point like dakkadakka if this place goes down.

V/R

Ian

A rendezvous site is a good idea.

Offline alt_joe

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 07:56:14 PM »
i'm not sayin it's a bad thing.  it's not the direction I would have gone though.

They're doin what they have to.  They have the problem of having a great game they can't give away as everyone that already plays it has more than enough for their friends and their friends friends.

I don't know though.

I'm love the universe and darnation I don't want it to fail again.

I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure that it survives in one way or another.

-PFC joe

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 09:14:58 PM »
Well...the wife's been puking all day...and now I know why....

I think I'll pray to the porcelain god for awhile, in a vain attempt to get the image of a Warzone CMG dislodged from my brain....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:28:31 PM by Southpaw »
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 09:53:53 PM »
Hmmmm.....well, I'm sure it will be a nice product and hopefully will be well developed and supported. We just have to get used to the idea that this will be a totally different game. What will survive? We'll see.

It is a real shame that the scale changed though....I know I'll never invest the money to start over. I have thousands of points of all factions.
Still, if they do some nice work, I could see myself building a Wolfbane force to play with. It may even be more "accessible" to a younger crowd and something I can play with my son.

Try not to just look at the worst in everything, guys. Yes it's change. Yes there are things we won't be happy about (historically, when have we ever really been?). On a positive note, there will be a game, new figures, new rules and some support for the MC/WZ universe. Let's at least play it before we have a cow. Will it be the game we've known and loved (or liked....or....whatever)? No. But it will be a game, with support from a company who has shown they can produce some nice games.

No one says you can't play UWZ...or WZ or WZII all you like....I intend to.  That doesn't mean I won't be looking forward to the new game. I mean, heck.....we enjoyed Blood Berets, Fury of the Clansmen, SoTC. Why can't we really enjoy another game too? Seriously.
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 10:19:26 PM »
Still, if they do some nice work, I could see myself building a Wolfbane force to play with.

I'm still trying to sort thru my feelings on this one and how to express them but this quote by Alpha illustrates a point that has always bothered me about CMG's and will be especially true in this instance. CMG's are sold in random packs so how do you build any specific force to play with unless you commit large amounts of time and money to gathering a plethora of figs you have no interest in while seeking the ones you do want?

As for the scale at 36mm these figs are guaranteed not to work with any of the terrain I have spent my time and  money collecting to enhance my miniatures gaming experience. So in addition to having to give up my collection of armies, I will be forced to spend time and money in seeking out and buying 36mm terrain. As this is an uncommon scale I would probably have to expend time, money and effort in building terain from scratch. The one saving grace as I have moved form mini game to mini game over the years was that the terrain was forever. Now......

The fact that the game is going into CMG mode allows us to look to other CMG style games to see the future of Warzone. Having been an Envoy for Wizkids I have seen the future of Warzone under this style format. I left Wizkids over the debacle of retiring sets. I see no option for FFG but to follow this ill advised path. The purpose of a CMG is to sell minis so they will eventually retire figs and force you to buy essentially the same fig because the original set it was included in has been retired from play. It is the nature of the CMG.

Is the Warzone CMG going to be a good game? - I truthfully do not know. Is it the direction Paradox should have gone? - I honestly do not think so. Is the CMG road one I will travel with Warzone as I have all the other roads the game has gone down? - I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:21:06 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline The_Collector

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 10:45:17 PM »
Well, I can't admit that I'm happy with this turn of events, but I'm curious as to what they will do with the setting and miniatures. As a somewhat MC junkie I think I'm gonna buy it anyhow, just to see how it works out.

Cheers

TC
Exitus Acta Probat