Author Topic: REVISED FLYING RULES FROM CERULEAN MISTS  (Read 55276 times)

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
Re: REVISED FLYING RULES FROM CERULEAN MISTS
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 05:32:19 PM »
Firstborn included it in a post and acted as though he knew what it meant, no one else said anything, so I felt like the only guy in a room that doesn't get the joke.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 05:10:38 AM »
Sadly, I'm often that guy who doesn't get the joke! ::)
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 09:35:09 AM »
Can someone hold my hand through the "shooting a template with a flyer" rules? When firing from another hight band you dubtract the heightband from the template, right? So in that case which end gets taken off? The broad end, or the pointy end?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 09:47:03 AM »
My guess is that you put the pointy end on the Soul Flayers base, and deduct from the broad end.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 05:38:44 PM »
Hello Thom!

Please let me know if I understand the new rules:

1)  Flying is now indicated on the board in inches.  The inches indicate the bottom of the model.

Flying is represented in inches. That is true. The bottom of the model is not an issue.

2)  In order to engage a flyer, the size of the model must match the flying height of the flyer.  So a size 2 model may charge/countercharge any flyer at 2", or 3" if they have a reach weapon.

True.

3) If 1 plus 1/2 the size of the model match the flying height of the flyer (round down), then the model may swat at the flyer as a CC, but they are not engaged.  So a size 2 model may swat at a flyer at 3", 4" if they have a reach weapon.  However, no charge bonus since it's not an engagement, just a swat.  And the flyer can still move around at that height without engagement restrictions.  In my mind, I'm visualizing someone jumping up and swinging their sword.

This is accurate.

4)  To measure bale fire during flight, subtract the flying height of the Soul Flayer from the template.  The rest of the template is used to measure the affected area.

Also correct.

Thanks!
deurbroucq 

You're welcome.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline T Prime

• Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 05:42:42 PM »
Thom,

One more point of clarification on the Swoop Attack:

"Models that are within the distance to intercept may attempt to come off Wait and countercharge as usual."

If the model being attacked is on wait, it could intercept and countercharge 
as normal, correct? It just can't make a normal counter charge attack and engage in close combat, as the flyer has already passed by. This would make sense as the model is standing ready, and is going to make one desperate swing as the flyer erraticaly swoops by.
Is this the correct way to interpret the rule?

No, not quite. The sentence you quoted refers to a model that is not the subject of the swoop by within its passing. Understand?
Excelsior!!

Offline T Prime

• Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 05:46:30 PM »

•   Fire Elemental- P. 253      MV-2/4:04

Right? Not MW-3/4:04 ?

Coki

It is correct, 2 not 3.
Excelsior!!

Offline T Prime

• Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 05:49:38 PM »
@ Steel Rabbit-- you're by no means daft.  My money is on it being a BAD typographical error, the kind that should not appear in the final mix.  Of course, Thom is wily, but in this case I think it was just a glitch.

Wireless keyboard goes wonky when you sit too far away from the desk...sorry.

Excelsior!!

Offline T Prime

• Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 05:53:10 PM »
Can someone hold my hand through the "shooting a template with a flyer" rules? When firing from another hight band you dubtract the heightband from the template, right? So in that case which end gets taken off? The broad end, or the pointy end?

Assume the pointy end is coming from the monster. The altitude starts from the pointy end and goes towards the wide end. Got it?
Excelsior!!

Offline Firstborn

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 09:03:11 PM »
Thom,

One more point of clarification on the Swoop Attack:

"Models that are within the distance to intercept may attempt to come off Wait and countercharge as usual."

If the model being attacked is on wait, it could intercept and countercharge 
as normal, correct? It just can't make a normal counter charge attack and engage in close combat, as the flyer has already passed by. This would make sense as the model is standing ready, and is going to make one desperate swing as the flyer erraticaly swoops by.
Is this the correct way to interpret the rule?

No, not quite. The sentence you quoted refers to a model that is not the subject of the swoop by within its passing. Understand?

Thom,

Are you saying the model that is being attacked by the swoop attack is defenseless?

If this is true, it seems horribly unbalanced. The flying model could just continously make swoop attacks without fear of any type of retaliation from the model being attacked.
Chronopia - The best fantasy miniature wargame ever made

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 11:35:38 PM »
Assume the pointy end is coming from the monster. The altitude starts from the pointy end and goes towards the wide end. Got it?

Oh! So I take the template and subtract the height band from the pointy end first and the parts I'm left with are what I can shoot with (pointing the broad end at the enemy, of course)? You should make some weeling and dealing with the folks at GF9 for some wicked templates!

Offline Nikodemus

• Journeyman
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2005, 12:43:08 AM »
If I am the target of a swoop attack and I am on wait, then I can not countercharge or stand fast, what else could I do with my wait action?

-shoot if I have a bow or crossbow with the malus for reaction shooting

-throw my thrown weapon with the malus for reaction shooting

-brace if I have the ability

-dive for cover????

I am pretty sure the first three would be legal, but is dive for cover an option like avoiding trample?

Thom,

Are you saying the model that is being attacked by the swoop attack is defenseless?

If this is true, it seems horribly unbalanced. The flying model could just continously make swoop attacks without fear of any type of retaliation from the model being attacked.

I do not think so, if you have an individual out htere all alone by itself with no support, you are going to get punished by the flyers and their attack will not hit that often..

In addition "dive for cover" could be posssible, see above...

Marc

dr jack t ripper

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2005, 01:43:14 AM »
I do have a concept that I do not know has been addressed or not.

Blood totems leap attacking from cliffs.

Lets say we have a blood totem (or any other model) siting on top of a clif/builing/whatever and a flying creature comes buy attacks something and is finished with its' activation. I now want to activate my "little" blood totem and have it leap onto the flying creature and attack it.

Is this possible?

Does it have to be the same hieight as the target?

Can the target be lower then it?

How far could it leap to make the attack?

How far could it reach to make the attack?

Could it be in a lower band but its reach extends to a higher band and thus can reach it?

If it bear hugged it, could it then throw it into the cliff /ground/another flying unit?

Does it have to spend 1 action falling?

If it kills it, can it use it as a cushion to absorb some of the damage when it falls?

In general what would be the mechanics?

Thank you,

dr jack t ripper

Offline Firstborn

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2005, 06:35:55 AM »
If I am the target of a swoop attack and I am on wait, then I can not countercharge or stand fast, what else could I do with my wait action?

-shoot if I have a bow or crossbow with the malus for reaction shooting

-throw my thrown weapon with the malus for reaction shooting

-brace if I have the ability

-dive for cover????

I am pretty sure the first three would be legal, but is dive for cover an option like avoiding trample?

Thom,

I do not think so, if you have an individual out htere all alone by itself with no support, you are going to get punished by the flyers and their attack will not hit that often..

In addition "dive for cover" could be posssible, see above...

Marc

Marc,

This is not going to work. If it is true, it turns Chronopia from a fine game into a not so fine game.

A lot of models dont have missile weapons or brace. If I am interpretting this correctly, my appoints demon wing or ophidian could just make continous swoop attacks against my Repulsar Knight without danger, for instance.

The model that is being subject to the swoop attacks should have some way to defend itself. There is no reason it can not swing at a flyer as the flyer swoops by.
Chronopia - The best fantasy miniature wargame ever made

Offline Nikodemus

• Journeyman
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2005, 06:53:38 AM »
But is this not the same as trample?

You can not defend yourself against a trampling model, except diving for cover...

Unles you have other models on wait around which may charge the trampling model (from the side), same as with the swoop attack.

This is why I asked whether you may dive for cover as a reaction to a swoop attack.

To my embarassement, I just reread the rule, it says that you may dive for cover, doh! ::)

So imo it is the same thing as with trample, you may only avoid the attack or you have to have other models accompanying your RK...

Do you have to face the model you swoop attack like the trample attack or can you turn and attack like on a charge?

Otherwise a model with 3 AC could swoop attack with all three actions, this is could be too much...