Author Topic: Indoors fighting rules - demand and legalities?  (Read 4171 times)

Offline AeA

Indoors fighting rules - demand and legalities?
« on: March 06, 2006, 11:02:33 AM »
Inspired the indoor visibility arc template that for some reason has found its way onto the template sheets of the 2E rulebook, I'm about to begin rewriting the indoors fighting rules from the Dwarven Labyrinth into a 2E compatible, and possibly somewhat simplified, form. The changes required are quite straightforward, but two questions for the community:

1) Does anyone else have any interest in said rules, and either cannot or won't do the conversion himself? Currently I'm aiming only to amuse myself, but might as well make the thing publically available if there's demand.

2) Assuming there is demand to see said rewrite from outside my player pool of zero, what exactly *could* I publish? A patch-type document, listing only what has been changed, would seem to be analoguous to the various house rules and fan supplements nearly every game with at least one player has had, and quite legal - but it'd create a dependency on DL, which I'd like to avoid unless everyone already has it. A complete rewrite would be more user-friendly, but would quite likely end up essentially re-phrasing much of the relevant parts of DL. I know that in the strictest sense game mechanics cannot be copyrighted, only their exact presentation, but I feel iffy about doing that if I'm to publish the result.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Indoors fighting rules - demand and legalities?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 11:23:14 AM »
I for one would like to see them.  I may be one of only a handful, but I still would like to see these things in a downloadable format.  I wish (daydreaming here) that an open system would be published for this rules set, where you could use your own models--the money would come from publishing books with detailed army lists for different models out there.  Kinda like an OGL for minis. 

I would buy the rules set and say, for example a book listing stats in this system for the Celtos line.  Then you could print something for the Confrontation line.  What producer of models would refuse an independent publisher of helping them sell the models, where the real money is?

Again, I'm daydreaming here, but consider the idea before blasting me back into reality.  I'm depressed enough as it is that this game may be lost. 

May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
Re: Indoors fighting rules - demand and legalities?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 02:43:45 PM »
i'm interessted as well :)
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest