Author Topic: Hmmmm...  (Read 13439 times)

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
Hmmmm...
« on: February 26, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »
Someone seems to be slling some of the original Target Studio models as well as original art from Chronopia and Empires.  Not sure what to make of it.  None of it is artwork I recognize as anything  that was published.  They have the conclusion of a comic they ran in Chronicles, some elf concepts, and a lot of Empires stuff.  This should all be Paradox's property since it was produced in-house by Target as far as I know.

http://www.oddbitz.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Offline Coki

• Chronopia World
Re: Hmmmm...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 05:27:45 PM »
Big thx fpr links..... many fantastic  pictures :D

hmmm many many many work for me in the next weeks :(

Coki

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 06:36:18 PM »
Very interesting indeed....

Although I must admit I wouldn't mind getting ahold of some of them....
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 10:21:37 PM »
Those are the original Target display models.  I thought that they were lost way back when when the properties traded hands....

huh...
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Catinator

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 11:02:21 PM »
As I recall back then when Excelsior took over many things just "got lost". Some items turned up on the Internet for sale. Many ex-Target employees were not paid at the end ...
Some items made it to Excelsior later but I wonder how many things are laying low somewhere...

Thanks for the link - very nice stuff. It`s a shame Empire Chronopia did not make it.  :(

Greetings,

Catinator

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 11:15:19 PM »
It kinda makes me more than a little sad to see the models that I've been copying and watchin on websites and in my books for over a decade now goin up for sale.....

i want the Metropolitan Prophet and the Watchman so badly =(

-PFC joe

Offline kman

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 08:20:35 PM »
Maybe it's just a bit of a knee-jerk reaction here, but that really, really disgusts me.  This site was up a year or two ago and Excelsior saw that the items were pulled down.  Now that the license is yanked by Paradox, out the site comes again.  I really wish that Paradox would defend their IP a bit more proactively and come down on this site like a hammer.  All of these items were produced on Target's dime, and are thus now the property of Paradox.  Target's inability to pay their employees at one time doesn't justify someone selling off another's IP.

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, check out who the website is registered to.  I've always had a bad opinion of what a certain pair of individuals in the Target studio did to the company, but to see them attempting to feast on the carcass angers me beyond belief.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 09:11:59 PM »
somehow... that's even more upsetting.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 10:20:49 PM »
Oh, and in case anyone is interested, check out who the website is registered to.  I've always had a bad opinion of what a certain pair of individuals in the Target studio did to the company, but to see them attempting to feast on the carcass angers me beyond belief.

Which Target bottom-feeders are behind this little scam?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 11:16:30 PM »
Paradox is aware of the situation.  It's such a trivial amount that it may not even be worth their resources to pursue though.

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »
The addresses for Oddbitz and Urban Mammoth are identical.  Any other traget holdovers at UM besides the two Johns?

Offline kman

• Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 05:21:33 AM »
A few of the sculptors are still with UM I believe, unless they let those guys go when they nearly croaked and decided to completely redesign the Void line.  But, in this particular case, it's John Grant that the website is registered to.

As for the value of the items though, you're right Gubs, it's not worth the legal fees.  But, a nice cease and desist letter demanding the return of their property doesn't cost much.  And, it usually does a fairly decent job of letting scumbags know that the appropriate parties are on to them.

Of course, adding such artwork to the assets Paradox is now seeking to license may just sweeten the deal a bit.  Perhaps it's just because I'm a fanboy, but as a wishful licensee, I'd kill to be able to introduce those pics into the next version of the game.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 05:47:46 AM »
That site has been up for a long time and it seems they still have the same minis listed as last time I looked.

They've changed the descriptions a bit though ... Retro British ...  ::)

Offline Ludwig

• Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 06:03:18 AM »
When I had words with him about Oddbitz, it was John Grant. There was, however, another individual selling these same exact mini's on ebay. If I had a second edition rulebook on me, I could tell you his name. I want to say Mike, but I'm not sure.  While John owned the site, I remember the other guy was the one that was taking the photo's and laying out the website. John was all tied up in the UM move ...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 06:05:14 AM by Ludwig »

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 03:47:24 PM »
A part of me thinks it would be cool to own such great pieces of WZ history.  The other says it a crock that they are being pawned off in this manner.

I will say it sounds like the rest of us need a brief history lesson about the fall of Target and events that followed.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!