Author Topic: Chronicles of the Wayfarer  (Read 54807 times)

Offline Jr_Boyd

Chronicles of the Wayfarer
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »
Hello all, first let me welcome you to my new project which for now we will call CotW. In April of this year I felt inspired. I have met, emailed and shared with a lot of great people from this site over the last three years. I have been a game and miniature enthusiast for most of my life starting at 14 with some GW figures and now I am approaching 50. This stuff was the cool pre-slota base figures. My day job is I am in equipment sales and I specialize in print, design and color management. I have taken my knowledge from my day job and my passion from my hobby and see if I can create something special or as my wife says it will be a beautiful disaster. So I now officially invite all of you to join me on this journey to openly and honestly share your thoughts and enthusiasm to help me create my beautiful disaster.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:11:29 AM by Jr_Boyd »

Offline Jr_Boyd

Re: CotW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
Okay so let’s get started, as I mentioned in April this year I started the design process for a new game and figure line. As much as I would like to take credit and pat myself on my back it was some key individuals from this site that have made everything possible which without their help this project would not exist. Once I have everyone’s permission I will post the credits for each of them.

To get started my team and I have designed, printed and are in the process of producing around a 100 15mm miniatures and a game called CotW (secret ;)). These figures will make 2 very unique and exciting armies (just ask me). I will be making a new site to support this project and I invite anyone who is interested in being involved with this project and contributing to send me a message. I will need some groups to do some play testing. Over the next couple of months I will be slowly releasing product pictures to gear up for a late this year early next year release.

Here is my first preview, meet the Shield Legion from the Knights of the Kiln.

The Leader

The Standard

Legionnaire 1

These are based on 20mm bases. The game will use a proprietary base called a battle ring and figures will be based three to a base. I put them on a 50mm base as a sample. I also put a picture of the One Kings at 28mm for scale.

Let me know what your first thoughts are we have 97ish more figures to show!

JB

Offline DARNIZHAAN

• Castle Triskelion
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 12:02:25 PM »
Cotw call of the wild?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »
Looking good so far.  My only complaint is the shields are too thick.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Jr_Boyd

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 03:55:40 PM »
I would say that is a fair observation. If it where to scale that shield would not be able to be lifted.

However you have to consider two things:

First the shield is very small if you notice it has an inlay that runs the edge which makes it thicker this is all enlarged for painting.These where designed not necessarily for scale but paintability and to be visual striking from a distance. Maybe it is just me getting older but I want someone from 5 feet away to say "oh they have spears"

Second, durability was an important consideration. Items at this scale would snap or be too bendy if closer to scale. We have tried to make them as user friendly as possible.These should be painted this week lets see how they look then.

JB
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:01:39 PM by Jr_Boyd »

Offline DARNIZHAAN

• Castle Triskelion
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 04:20:40 PM »
Any chance of sculpting some 28mm minis too, to fill in the holes in the Chronopia line?

Offline kvaerne

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:03:37 AM »
Wooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, beautiful, more beautiful. Applause for JB  :).
If you need help, tell me how I can help.

Offline Jr_Boyd

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 04:22:21 PM »
Glad to see someone likes them.

I don't have any plans to move to 28mm - 35mm at the moment. However I will be making some incentive models of the 15mm model as promotional pieces. My rules however could be used at any scale.

For Example..This figure is called the High Lawgiver, He is a 30mm reproduction of the 15mm Lawgiver. To get him you will have to partake in the Kickstarter. I am sure you could find a place for him in your army.

Joshua is the hammer too big?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »
Hammer is great.  Cool model!  I understand the casting issues with the shields.  Keep posting pictures,please!

Offline Jr_Boyd

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 05:24:07 PM »
I am going to keep beating you with pictures til you say "shut up and take my money!;)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 06:45:20 PM »
I am going to keep beating you with pictures til you say "shut up and take my money!;)

:).   Good probability!

Offline Jr_Boyd

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 06:10:51 AM »
Okay, I had David Stoddard put some paint on these for me. I asked him to work with them and give me his opinion and here is what he said.

Take a look.
 I've attached photos that are not representative of how good they look on the table. Zoomed out they are much more impressive.

Here's my take:
 -These are exquisitely detailed for their size. Perhaps too detailed. I think maybe the fantastic detail is lost on figures this small.

-I did three layers of every color and added a wash on the gold.
 -They will not look good at macro level, but are fantastic at arms length.
 -Actual assembly and paint time is 2 hours and 15 minutes
 -I could easily spend more time blending and adding layers.
 -I'm a fan. I'd love to show these off on social media, but I'll wait until you give me the "OK".
 Thanks!

Dave

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: Chronicles of the Wayfarer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 06:51:03 PM »
Saw these on Facebook.  Good gawd!

Offline kvaerne

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 02:02:52 AM »
 :o Chronicles of the Wayfarer  :-\
Unpronounceable in Italian language  :-X. It was the most beautiful and at the background '' The chronicles of the kindred ''  ;D

Truly beautiful miniatures. Give us a little more information.

Offline Francesco

• GHAMAK
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
:o Chronicles of the Wayfarer  :-\
Unpronounceable in Italian language  :-X. It was the most beautiful and at the background '' The chronicles of the kindred ''  ;D

Truly beautiful miniatures. Give us a little more information.
glad you like :)

Yes, in Italian is unpronunciable,  but as you know Italy is a marginal market for miniatures, so it's not a real problem
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:41:33 PM by Francesco »