Author Topic: Goblin headhunters: what are they good for?  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Buzzu

Goblin headhunters: what are they good for?
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »
Here I am with a simple strategic question. Looking at the the profile of the goblin headhunters, I noticed that they are quite expensive (only three points less than a mantis guard) having no particular ability or game effect to justify a similar expense. For three points more each I can get the mantis guard, which grants me the same abilities of the headhunters, better stats, a group attack, and the possibility to be accompanied by a novice shaman.
So... what are the headhunters meant for??? I expected, seen the backgroud, to find something like a berserk ability, or a sweep (that could make a tactic difference from a pole weapon warband), or at least a faster movement (so that they could be preferred to run to the enemy fastly)... but there's no reason to prefer them to some good old guards.

I'd be very glad to be contradicted in this opinion, so please, just tell me your ideas about it!

Offline kvaerne

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Re: Goblin headhunters: what are they good for?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »
Good question.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:40:04 PM »
I have to admit they are less than devastating when I field them. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Jr_Boyd

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:28:03 PM »
They do have a -3 def and 2 extra points damage. other than that I got nothing.

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 05:29:50 AM »
You're right, but... Take a mantis guard. For 3 AP more I have: +1 in CC,+1 in LD, +3 in armor, only one point less in def, and as you said, 2 points less in damage, which are more than compensated by the group attack, and can be delivered at a distance having a polearm, and I have to remember you that being the goblins size 1, they can attack a normal humanoid till eight on the same, so having a polearm is very nice. More than this, you can add a novice shaman to the warband.
There's no reason why I should prefer the headhunters.

I ask for an official adjustment. I can assure that, even elevating the cost and making it equal to the mantis guard (36 AP), but adding the berserk ability, I'd field them with great pleasure. This would add a real "boost" in the strategic value of the band.

Please let me know if you agree with the idea.

Offline Jr_Boyd

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »
Well, seeing as there are only 7 of us still playing this game. I approve your addition of Berserk to the Headhunters!  ;D

I do agree there was not enough differentiation of some of the units and some of the point cost do seem random. I also noticed that it looked like two people made the war bands one liked unique groups like the Desert warriors and the other like a unit with options like in Warhammer for example like the Firstborn Swordsmen. Since I made the cards and had to do all the calculations for each unit there where several "WHY" moments. I still don't like some basic items like that all two handed swords don't sweep? I also have had to fight the urge to not paint or play with certain groups because of the inequities you are describing. In the defense of the troop types though I always hated in Warhammer that they built stats based on retail price of the model. So in short what I am saying is I would only allow myself one unit of Mantis warriors per game so then the Headhunters would become a second choice.

i do like the idea of also increasing their MV by 1 as well.

Offline kvaerne

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »
Rewrite the army lists?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:25:44 PM by kvaerne »

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »
No, please. Rewrite the army lists would mean Chronopia 3rd edition. I'm not ready for this, and there's no need to do it. We all like the game as it is, but I think some little "adjustments" could make it close to perfection.
Some were already made in the FAQs, I'm thinking about the cost revision of the stigian troops, or the orc caravan guards, and some dwarf units.
Why not adjust the last units that give all of us perplexion?

I'm gonna make a post about that.

To answer the "sweep" question.... sweeping is something useful but not so powerful as it seems. And, as I told somewhere else (in a dedicated post) it's not realistic that every two handed weapon is allowed to do it. A two handed sword can be used with great speed and power, but it has not enough weight to crush through multiple foes. It's lacking the kinetic impact of a battle axe. So I think it's right like this. Only very large two handed weapons wielded by very powerful warriors are allowed to sweep.

Last but not least: we're not seven players! Few of us write on the forum, maybe, but if you only take my group and the one of Kvaerne, we're already a tenth. We're the Italian faction ;)

See you on my next post! Look for it!