Author Topic: Firstborn Mounted knights  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Jase

Firstborn Mounted knights
« on: March 26, 2013, 12:32:14 AM »
This bugs me.

I know its a skirmish game, but why would you field just one mounted knight? While it would be expensive they'd be more effective employed in a Warband of at least 4 knights. Thoughts?
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Firstborn Mounted knights
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:10:32 AM »
I can get you a decent solution towards the end of April.  You say you want to run 4 of them?  How about 4 Troll Deathseekers for the Blackbloods?  I know Thom was working on a way to do this.  I'll get an answer out of him in the coming months as he starts putting stuff down with his Dragon software. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Horned God

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:27:06 PM »
The reason they were an individual is it fits the rest of the way mounted troops are done in the game. They are all individual troops. The bloodhunters, akin to something like the goblin Worg riders, were a unit, so your model would them, yet the individual knights are a bit tougher, at least the lance damage initially is high.

If they were in a unit, they'd need to be more like mounted Firstborn Knights on mounts, and like the bloodhunters they'd be a costly unit. 2 to 4 is a good size for them. So you can have a unit of 2 if you wish.

Same goes for the Mounted Axemen. Personally, you could keep the mounted axemen (or mounted crusader) an individual and the knights into a unit structure.

I made the Tusked Raiders into a unit of 2 to 3, and the Horned Raider I kept an individual but they could easily have been made into the same 2 to 3 structure. I just happened to own one of them, and 3 of the others, yet I played with it, and it seems just fine.

I'd assume the concept can be expanded: Sentinels, Mounted Kutara, and the Eleven Mounted Knight (the old warkiller). Honestly, some, like the true Warkiller are designed to be individuals. I'd say play test this, and it might require modified stats so the mounted units are slightly less buff or LD heavy ie you'd never have 4 skyriders or warkillers with their high LD. That means lower their LD and other key stats, lower the cost appropriately.

Offline Jase

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:56:26 PM »
That's pretty much what I had in mind HG - an adjustment of the current stats and points would be needed definitely to accommodate a mounted knight warband.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »
I suppose the Mounted Knight counts as an individual in a skirmish game because of his greater mobility and independence (much like the Repulsars who are a unit in Empire:Chronopia but individuals in Chronopia). You could conceivably buy more than one Knight individual; this would represent a unit of Knights who have split up to support the foot soldiers individually or scour the battlefield – much like Napoleonic cavalry once the trumpeter has given "Free Chase".

In a skirmish game, warbands of riders would consist of the lighter troops (like the Devout Blood Hunters, Blackblood Ripper Beast cavalry or my own Firstborn Light Horse (http://forum54.oli.us/index.php/topic,7127.0.html )) who need to band together to be effective. Individual riders are either commanders (Devout Nameless), scouts (Elven Dragonbane Scouts), champions (Elven Skyriders) or men usually fighting in bands but capable of personal initiative (Firstborn Repulsar Knights, SoK Aonbarr Horsemen, Orc Kutara, Goblin Myrmadons).
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."