Author Topic: Rocket and Missile Damage  (Read 10421 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Rocket and Missile Damage
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:34 PM »
I know direct fire weapons are hit or miss only. But I had two questions-- With this kind of explosion impact-- Shouldn't there be a near miss?  Or are we assuming if a model misses by 1 it's the same as missing by 10.

Also-- when these weapons hit-- wouldn't there be some kind of concussive blast affect (beyond merely lethal damage?), or are we assuming the armor the troops wear protects against this.

Just some food for thought.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Re: Rocket and Missile Damage
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »
I understand your logic on this subject. If you miss by one it is the same as missing by any other roll (except a 20  of course).
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »
I understand your logic on this subject. If you miss by one it is the same as missing by any other roll (except a 20  of course).

...unless using a beehive (anti-personnel or "AP") round.  In that case, decreas damage to all under the template by the number by which you missed.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:55:57 PM »
I know direct fire weapons are hit or miss only. But I had two questions-- With this kind of explosion impact-- Shouldn't there be a near miss?  Or are we assuming if a model misses by 1 it's the same as missing by 10.

Also-- when these weapons hit-- wouldn't there be some kind of concussive blast affect (beyond merely lethal damage?), or are we assuming the armor the troops wear protects against this.

Just some food for thought.

With armor piercing rounds (rounds that have an AR value), they either hit or miss.  If they miss, they do not explode, hence, no damage or concussive effects. 

In the heat of battle, even the best shots go errant.  One might hope that if they miss their target, the wall behind them would catch the round, detonating it and the wall into a cloud of tightly packed molecules of various sizes/lethalities.  Unfortunately, this isn't the case in terms of the game.  If you want to house-rule, I would suggest using the building materials table, and if a wound is caused to the building, then apply half (rounded down) that dameage to the closest model(s) within an inch or two.  Intervening buddies act as sandbags ;D.  Of course, you lose the multiple wounds and armor piercing capabilities in the ensuing meshed concussion, so models with Impenetrability/Vehicles are unaffected.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:59:30 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:57:15 PM »
Nice!  Thnx D!