Author Topic: The Battle For Omnopolis  (Read 18654 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
The Battle For Omnopolis
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:25:04 AM »
PROLOGUE: 4 or 5 years ago I saw Antenocities amazing sci-fi city diorama and wanted one of my own.  An ambitious project, I decided to build all kinds of futuristic "Bladerunner" type buildings.  I built a corporate tower, a tram station, a White Dragon type sushi shack, tenements, a shopping mall, even an adult entertainment center.  But, like so many overly ambitious projects, I never finished........time passed.......the project ended up in big plastic bins in my basement....relegated to "some day" and largely forgotten.

Cut to: A WEEK AGO-- A new guy I've been gaming with Mike, was telling me how he liked "Infinity" and "Bolt Action." I told him about UWZ. He said he'd love to try it. It had been months since I played, and I wanted to do something I never had.  My forgotten city sprang to mind.  Sure it was unfinished, but it was still mostly built, and why the heck not. In case I never did finish, I might as well give it a test run,.

I dug it out of the basement-- Re-glued bits and assembled everything.  I was a few pieces short of a full city, and I had already used the hotel I built in another report, so I opted for some rubble blocks -- it added to the story.

THE STORY - Omnicorp a subsidiary of Cybertronic, is rumored to have innovated a new Cybertronic AI - Something that will enhance the Corps already formidable troops.

Mishima, deciding they could use such a tech for their Phoenix Samurai has decided to assault Omnicrop in a "hostille takeover."  

While aerial bombardment was used to soften up the city by Mishima's Orbital forces-- It is up to the ground forces to seize the Omnicorp Tower and dispatch remaining Cybertronic resistance.

THE FORCES
Assigned to perform this great honor for the corp are forces from Lord Heir Maru and Lore Heir Moya.

THE MOYA FORCE (MIKE)

As I said Mike had never played, but he loves the Japanese sectorial forces from "Infinity" so he loved the Mishima army.

8 Crimson Devils + Ldr & HMG Spec
5 Faceless
5 Ashigaru + Ldr & LMG Spec
2 Phoenix Samurai
4 Hatamoto + Ldr & HMG
4 Hatamoto + Ldr & HMG
2 Nagano Shadow Walkers
1 Liege Lord

THE MARU FORCE (MATT)
Matt is a martial artist and LOVES CC...so he wanted an all CC force.

8 Yorama Warrior Monks + 1 Rokudan
8 Bushido Samurai + Ldr & No Dachi Hero
6 Tiger Dragons + Ldr & Spear Master
8 Faceless
1 Yorama Enlightened Master

Matt and Mike formed a team against me--

CYBERTRONIC (DAVE)
6 Peoples Volunteers + Sgt & HMG Spec
6 Machinators MK 2.0 + HMG Spec
6 Machinators MK 1.0 + LMG Spec
6 Reavers + Sgt
5 Shock Troopers + Sgt + Chem Sprayer Spec
7 Chausseurs + Sgt + Sniper + RL Spec
3 Attila Cuirassiers
1 Surveiller
1 Eradicator Deathdroid
1 Vince Diamond
1 Doctor Diana

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN--

DEPLOYMENT  - The field

LEFT COLUMN                           CENTER COLUMN               RIGHT COLUMN
1) Tenements 1                        Convenience Store             Tenements 2
2) Rubble                                 Omnicorp Tower                 Shopping Mall A
3) Adult Entertianment Center    Sushi Shack & Apartment     Shopping Mall B
4) Rubble                                 Tram Station (& Tram)         Rubble  

Mike & Matt's side of the table.

Other side of the table - You can see the convenience store here.

Close up - Sush/Ramen Shack and apartment  - please ignore the unsightly drying laundry in the background. :P

CLOSE UP - Tram station & reverse angle - Sushi/Ramen shack.

DEPLOYMENT

Since I was defending, and the veteran player. I deployed all my force first and let the guys come at me however they pleased.

Near the shopping mall - I placed my Eradicator, Doctor Diana, and the MK 1's.  Diana could keep the droid alive longer-- and the MK1's I was hoping to snake up across the field.

On the Shopping mall bridge went Vince and Chassuers (though ultimately I moved him below to the ground floor). Vince would prove difficult for me to use well in this game -- you'll see.  the Chauseurs were sitting pretty with the high ground, cover, and a sniper to boot. Below the bridge I deployed my Reavers.

On my left flank went my Attillas and the Surveiller.  Heavy firepower, lots of soak-- I thought I could pound the flank, break it, and then sweep across.

On my right flank...My Volunteers and MK II's.  

Mike Deployed his Phoenix Sams on the roof of the Adult Store, and a Hatamoto Squad inside on the 3rd floor.

Mike had the Naganos were on the 2nd floor of the slums, While Matt put his Tigers, Bushidos, and Monks on the ground waiting to flood forward.
Mike also put Hatamoto sqaud 2, the Liege Lord, his Ashigaru, and his Meka in the rubble behind the tower.

TURN 1 - I win Initiative. I rush my volunteers forward to the windows - hoping to create a firing line to at least slow down the swarm  of CC troops on my right. (NOTE: If I ever finish the windows will be framed and not so rough looking).

My D-droid storms up the street-- Faceless swarm all around - threatening to take out my mech.

But a salvo from my Attillas and the Surveiller, marching through the rubble,  dispatches the faceless squad on the right-- and sends the others run for the flank.

The tiger dragons begin their advance. (Note-- that Hatamoto is actually below - we just couldn't fit him-- to much Ramen!)

TURN 2
Turn 1 passes as many turn 1's do - with a lot of scurrying about and getting into position and troops firing, checking ranges.  They win the initiative, but have me go first.

My D-droid opens fire on the Hatamoto - shattering tinted glass! Killing 3!  My chausseurs go on Wait!

Top down view.  Notice the tiger dragons on upper right-- (Note: Vince is lying down to indicate he is below - on lvl 1)

With the faceless on my right flank, and the Phoenix on the room of the Adult store-- I sweep around behind the shopping mall with my MK 1's looking for prey.

Meanwhile - Mike and Matt are making their advance.  They were a bit cautious at first. Matt likes to charge, so that's surprising-- but Mike is a veteran war-gamer and I think he likes to test the waters.  In fact he held his 2nd Hatamoto squad back more than half the battle.

However - On the right flank - Mike has charged his Shadow Walkers into a building opposite my Volunteers and starts sniping them from cover.  Only two of my guys go down, but due to some bad rolling on Mike's part- but I realize I am going to get the worst of that exchange-- esp. because all my guns are out of range!!!  My firing line has failed-- I pull back form the windows and head downstairs--

My D-Droid gets peppered with fire the  Phoenix Sams and the Hatamoto 1, but I'm rolling hot saves-- and take only 1 wound.

TURN 3

My Reavers make their move to secure the tower.
My Volunteers hit the streets

Matt sends his Faceless around the tram station, after my Attillas and Surveiller.  Not good for me.

Even on WAIT  my autocannons will only take out 3 guys max-- the rest will nail me.  I decide to start marching away from them, with my Surveiller turned to face them on "wait" just in case.

Vince joins the D-Droid - Covering my Attillas -or so I think. His weapons are only good at SR-- I'm just not using him well.

Diana joins vince and heals my D-droid, as my MK I's make their move up toward the tower to support the Reavers.
Also, while sitting there...my reaver gets sniper by a Shadow Walker!  Ouch.

So my Chausseur sniper - returns the favor-- and in some very lucky rolling - I kill one of the Shadow Walkers.

Mike and Matt's forces mass along the Convience Store (Monks, above & Master), and by the Tower.  

I decide to send my Reavers into the tower (We use the roof to simulate the ground floor), and I put them on Wait.  Matt charges me-- but thinks better of it when I reduce the first guy around the corner to soy sauce with a blast of LMG fire and PB.

TURN 4
Initiative goes to me.

I walk the D-Droid around the corner and spray those pesky tigers.  3 more die in a hail of fire.  All that remain are the Ldr and Spear Spec.

Mikes forces are still hanging back.  

As Mike's Meka advances - I sweep by Volunteers around the side of the Convenience store and start popping monks hiding back there.

They take a few casualties-- Matt is itching to get into CC!

But a few volunteers on WAIT give him pause.

My Attillas continue their exodus away from the faceless-- shooting anything that pops into range

Vince and Diana chat about how they're being under-utilized in this battle.

So I march Vince to back up the D-droid - watching the Omnicorp Tower entrance & I march up my MK I's

Mike advances his Meka - Killing Chausseurs and Volunteers. I return fire.

Matt charges his Bushido through the building.

I bring up my MK II's to support the Volunteers. If it's going to be a CC battle, I want these guys in there!

Then Mike does something brilliant and ballsy! He paradeploys his Devils right into the middle of everything!  

His deviation and LD rolls are great! His hit rolls-- NSM!  Still he does take out a few models.

And forces a lot of my guys on WAIT to blow their LD rolls.

Mike also advances his Ashigaru into the fray.  Now its getting good...but it's about to get great!

TURN 5
Mike and Matt get the initiative!

All hell breaks loose!

Matt's moment has come! His Monks charge. Carving into my squads.

Knowing that battle can wait, I charge my MK I's! Taking out a bunch of Devils.

Mike's Meka lights into my MK I's now exposed.

Meanwhile...the Mishima units hiding behind the tower-- have a new problem.  Hello D-droid. I unload. Screams fill the air.

My MK II's get their shot and do some bloodwork of their own. But it's far from over.

At last, Mike Hatamoto 2 squad goes on the move with his liege lord-- heading through the Adult store. Man, those Hatamotos sure do seem to love that place.

My Chausseurs peppered the Meka for the last 2 rounds finally destroying it.

But Matt in a truly inspired BONZAI! charge - rushes in the back of the tower-- wading into the reavers - Killing 3!  The fight for the tower has begun!

My Reavers battle back! Throwing the Bushido on the defensive.

That is until Mike charges his Ashigaru into the fray...

Which is then followed by me charging my MK I's in, and Matt charging his two remaining Tiger Dragons in after that.  A truly epic melee!!!

I para-deploy my Shock Troopers - One of whom shoots into the building-- nailing Matt's remaining Tiger Dragons.

TURN 6
I win the Initiative

The tide turns against Mishima in the lobby. Nearly all their forces are dead.  Though my Reavers are now Amok - their enemy sensors have failed....

Mishima's forces are dwindling. On the right, most of the monks are dead.  On the roof the Phoenix Sams still reign and Hatamoto 2 is advancing, while Hatamoto 1 is down to 2 men.

They pepper the D-droid-- and Diana isn't able to repair him-- But at 6/3 he's still going strong.  It hasn't helped that I've been SUPER lucky in my rolling all day.

As the game comes to an end, my Surveiller takes out the remaining faceless, and my Attillas and D-Droid finish off the Hatamotos and my Chausseur sniper finished off the Phoenix Samurais.

The Shocktroopers finish off the Shadow Walker and that about ends it.  

Though the liege lord and Enlightened master are alive, their forces have been scattered to the wind. Mishima's attempt to take Omnoplis has failed.

We don't care much about win/lose-- for us it's the story moments of the game. And this one was chock-full!  We all had a great time and Mike is now a UWZ fan. Mission accomplished ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:35:17 AM by warzoneD »

Offline semai99

Re: The Battle For Omnopolis
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:50:06 AM »
Great looking battle WarzoneD, thanks for the eye candy and the commentary, your figures are really nicely done, I especially like the hand off doom during the battle  ;D All you need to do now is get the city finished  ::)
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline micmellon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:02:37 AM »
WOW! I love that battle report!
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 07:44:42 AM »
Always love the battle reports with tons and tons of pics. Thanks for taking time to put it up. Looks like a most excellent game with fun had by all.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline semai99

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »
How long did it take to play, and I wonder if the new version of Warzone could handle such a large battle as there were quite a lot of units per side it would be fun to recreate the battle a bit with the newer version of the rules and see how it compares I bet the cards would throw some interesting tactical issues into the mix.
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »
Actual play  took about 3 hours, but remember, one of the players was a newbie.  :)  I like UWZ rules because they're so scaleable - Skirmish to large battle.

Offline micmellon

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »
3 hours sounds for a 3 player game just average. We play almost all games as 3 or 4 player games and a 3 hour game is a fast game.

3 player games take at least 3 to 5 hours
and a 4 player games take at least 5 to 8 hours or even more.

Warzone is only a fast game as long you do a 2 player game.
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Krate

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 12:56:23 PM »
Great battle report! Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing!  :)

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 05:15:08 AM »
Yay!

"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 05:03:22 PM »
Great report thanks for sharing
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »
Love that sushi bar!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »
Very nice battle report. Sounds like a great game.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
Fantastic reporting!!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline JohnL5555

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »
  I'm late to the party but Wow! Lots of cool buildings, beautifully painted figs and a down in the dirt dogfight of a battle!
Very well done! Have some good karma.

Thanks,

John

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 07:02:16 PM »
That was fantastic from minis to report to terrain!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!