Author Topic: New Warzone (merged thread)  (Read 339066 times)

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
Re: New Warzone (merged thread)
« Reply #765 on: April 07, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
I think the Necrobeast looks really, really cool. :)

I'd like to see some variation with them, perhaps some necrotechy tubing and protuding spikes?

Even if they don't have that, I still think they are awesome designs and would prefer less change than too much!  :)

Rob,

My opinion:  Focus on the basic and "existing" troop types, first.   I think the guys will sell lot of new style Kadavers, Screaming Legionaires, Ducal Militia, Trenchers, Regulars...and so on. 

On the new figure concepts.   I like the Mirromen concept art.   Pretty much dead on!   Valkyries and Sea Lions - Especially due to having the named hero for both these units...these are good ideas.   The Necrotech Beastrider looks good, but I think adding a bunch of new troop types might be pre-mature.   The Armored Hussars...are those the replacement for the Vulkans?   If not, you have two troop types that are pretty much the same.   It would make more sense to release a new "basic" troop type, than to release another Bauhaus walker.   

Offered in the spirit of constructive criticism...

Oh, and Max looks pretty good. 
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Grinder

• In war, truth is the first casualty.
« Reply #766 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »
I'd like to see some variation with them, perhaps some necrotechy tubing and protuding spikes?

This seems like a good i idea and a small adjustment to the shark nose.

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #767 on: April 07, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »
I think the Necrobeast looks really, really cool. :)

Even if they don't have that, I still think they are awesome designs and would prefer less change than too much!  :)

Rob,

My opinion:  Focus on the basic and "existing" troop types, first.   I think the guys will sell lot of new style Kadavers, Screaming Legionaires, Ducal Militia, Trenchers, Regulars...and so on. 

On the new figure concepts.   I like the Mirromen concept art.   Pretty much dead on!   Valkyries and Sea Lions - Especially due to having the named hero for both these units...these are good ideas.   The Necrotech Beastrider looks good, but I think adding a bunch of new troop types might be pre-mature.   The Armored Hussars...are those the replacement for the Vulkans?   If not, you have two troop types that are pretty much the same.   It would make more sense to release a new "basic" troop type, than to release another Bauhaus walker.   

Eh, I like that they are still adding their own touches.  Warzone isn't a museum piece, it is a game, it is here and now.  Target created new units from scratch when they had it, Prodos has it now and so that is their right.  It's not like the units they've produced so far are incongruous with the game either.  Vorreiter play up the dieselpunk and weird-tech aspects of the setting (and are so awesome I'm down for two boxes).  The new land-shark riders echo a lot of things evoked by Dark Eden and go to a very pulpy place that Warzone and Mutant Chronicles are very comfortable in.  It gives me hope that I may one day have proper Cossacks for my Sons of Rasputin.  And the new Juggernaut/Armoured Hussar is a nice unit that fits pretty well with Bauhaus (I'm already pledged in hopes of them getting to £105).  Bauhaus was certainly a fan of powered armour in previous editions, and big clunky exo-suits are a big element of dieselpunk.

I think we should encourage Prodos to expand and elaborate on the setting and do their own thing.  It reassures me to know that they are treating it like their game instead of walking on egg-shells and making sure everything is as they left it.  Time to rip the plastic off of the furniture and start living it up.

For me at the very least, every time they have shown a new unit I've been ecstatic about it.  Most of my pledge increases have been justified on the backs of getting some of the brand new stuff.  And this has a lot to do with how good Prodos seem to be at integrating new additions to the line.  The new stuff and old stuff not only looks fantastic, but also cohesive.  This is the big upside to a reboot, it lets you breath some new life in to things without it looking like it was tacked on.

So as much a fan as I am of the old stuff (and they are still re-producing more of it than they are creating new units from scratch, mind you) I feel better knowing that they aren't terrified of making Warzone their's.  Because Target isn't resurrecting any decade soon and if Prodos isn't willing to expand the line then its fate is stagnation.  So throwing out a mix of new and old as they are currently doing is, to me, ideal.

Note:  Not harping on you or anything, just offering my own two cents on it.  Your opinion is more than valid, I just happen to like the direction they're taking.

Offline micmellon

« Reply #768 on: April 07, 2013, 11:38:07 PM »
The shark head is most likly by purpose. A land shark is an "old" concept in a lot of fantasy RPGs. I am no DL player so I do not care too much but I like the concept.
A nasty predator.

Regarding the Jugganaut. I do understand that they want to use the concept. They put already work into it and as a No-Vulkan it could be nice to have it back.
It woud be important really to offer a different set of weapon options to have them clearly seperated. They still have to close the back which was too open but I don't mind that they offer new units as long they keep the balance between new and old units.
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Grinder

« Reply #769 on: April 07, 2013, 11:42:36 PM »
The new land-shark riders echo a lot of things evoked by Dark Eden

I think this quote nailed what i couldn't put my finger on.

Offline Grinder

« Reply #770 on: April 07, 2013, 11:45:19 PM »
The heavy armoured hussars is a nice addition, im really looking forward to se the renders on this one.

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #771 on: April 08, 2013, 12:11:15 AM »
Rob,

Hi Madbrad. :)
I can completely understand where you are coming from. However, it is really important to remember this is a license and as such, Prodos Games wants to add things to the license to prove how much they will use it. License-holders are normally keen to see their property being developed, but with complete control of how that happens. So far, it would seem, Paradox Entertainment are very happy with how things are going.

Nothing will be left out, nothing whatsoever. However, it is really important for Prodos to continue creating new ideas and concepts, but ensuring each one has the feel of Mutant Chronicles.

The Juggernaughts are not replacements for the Vulkan Walker. The Vulkan Battlesuit is already a strong part of the MC background and there is a model that had some serious design work put into it. The Juggernaughts are an example of Prodos Games using their concept art, as it was still good to use, but with a slightly different purpose in mind. These will be armoured Hussars, purpose built for particular battlefields.

The Mirrormen art is actually old! There is a chance they will see some updating to bring them in line with the modern range of Cybertronic units.

As for the Necrobeast, I really like the idea of the stalking, predatory landshark... Can't wait to paint some!!!!

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #772 on: April 08, 2013, 07:17:46 AM »
Just had to share these.  Prodos has managed to do the impossible and come up with some Etoiles that I actually like.  I hope others like the new ones as much as I do, because I think they hit it out of the part with these ones.  I'm glad they didn't stick to the art assets on these and went their own way.  Since the concepts by Bonner, Bisley and Studio Parente all left me cold for various reasons.  But these?  These look pretty damn bad arse.  I was originally just grabbing a unit for head swaps, now I think I want two units to actually use in play.

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #773 on: April 08, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
Actually, folds would be weird if they are trying to mimic kevlar vests.  Those things are stiff enough that they don't crease too much as you move.  My guess is it is a slightly stretchy ballistic material instead of a form-fitting rubber body-stocking.

Offline semai99

« Reply #774 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:54 AM »
I must admit I like the newer Etoiles they look better without the boob tubes it looks more like they are wearing body armour now, and puckers what not to like  ;D

I also like the new units especially the necrobeast riders will be good for jungles or the Dark Eden warzone. Would be cool if they do some details of necrotech pipes etc on the beast

The armoured hussars, I looked at these and at 1st thought they would be good Sons of Rasputin early vulkan suits, will be interesting as to how they unfold... weaponwise etc

Nice to see they are trying to put there own stamp on the game by added there own units and feel.

So many options so little money  ::) pot noodles for the next month  ;)
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Grinder

« Reply #775 on: April 08, 2013, 09:46:32 AM »
Here is the new pic of the EM

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #776 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
Well, still using at least one of the heads for my V-Rangers...  but now the choice is a lot harder.  The shaved head and scarred one are both so awesome.

The punisher combo looks great as well and I like the stylized should pads on a few of 'em.

This unit managed to finally get me to like the Etoiles and actually gives them a proper, iconic look.  They have a silhouette that makes them hard to mistake while still looking like a proper military unit.  These ladies will definitely see table time in my army.

Offline Grinder

« Reply #777 on: April 08, 2013, 10:16:41 AM »
I cant wait anymore, i want my minis and rulebook NOW!!!

What are you guys going to play? Im getting a Dark Legion army for myslf and also a Cybertronic army so i can make demos to my friends.

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #778 on: April 08, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
I cant wait anymore, i want my minis and rulebook NOW!!!

What are you guys going to play? Im getting a Dark Legion army for myslf and also a Cybertronic army so i can make demos to my friends.

I likely will keep playing with the tweaked 1st edition rules I had, and take in the new miniatures I like from Prodos. As always, Dark Legion - typically Semai or Algeroth (Golgotha's legion, but of course she doesn't show every game). Opposition will probably be Imperial or Bauhaus (although I don't like the new EM at all, but that's opinion).

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #779 on: April 08, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »
Rob,

Hi Madbrad. :)
I can completely understand where you are coming from. However, it is really important to remember this is a license and as such, Prodos Games wants to add things to the license to prove how much they will use it. License-holders are normally keen to see their property being developed, but with complete control of how that happens. So far, it would seem, Paradox Entertainment are very happy with how things are going.

Nothing will be left out, nothing whatsoever. However, it is really important for Prodos to continue creating new ideas and concepts, but ensuring each one has the feel of Mutant Chronicles.

The Juggernaughts are not replacements for the Vulkan Walker. The Vulkan Battlesuit is already a strong part of the MC background and there is a model that had some serious design work put into it. The Juggernaughts are an example of Prodos Games using their concept art, as it was still good to use, but with a slightly different purpose in mind. These will be armoured Hussars, purpose built for particular battlefields.

The Mirrormen art is actually old! There is a chance they will see some updating to bring them in line with the modern range of Cybertronic units.

As for the Necrobeast, I really like the idea of the stalking, predatory landshark... Can't wait to paint some!!!!

The Prodos guys have a plan, and I certainly hope it is successful.   

My outlook is based on the belief that people want to build armies that they see as having a solid base of good looking basic troopers, and then adding heroes, support and specialty troops after they get the core of their army built.   

Of course, they may be under pressure from Paradox to expand the line with new troop types.  And, there may also be pressure to develop as much "new" stuff as possible to try and put distance between the WZ game and the hobby sotre owners who felt they were burned by Target's demise, and then burned again when Excelsior was blind-sided with the license being yanked.   

Durandel also makes the point that he is representative of a group of people who like the new stuff, and want to see even more.   His comment at WZ is a game, and not a museum piece is dead on.   My opinion is that you need to start out with the basics, first.

As for the future, I do want to see some new unit types, and I am mostly thrilled with the current re-vamp of the current troop types, and think there will be some new types that will appeal to me as well.   

Anyway, enough of my rambling.   I have stated my opinion, and either Prodos will follow my omniscent and perfect ability to see the future....oh, wait...that's not actually true. :D   But, it did sound impressive!    ...or they will go in their own direction.   Either way, I do hope for their success.   

Cheers!

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad