Author Topic: New Warzone (merged thread)  (Read 339065 times)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: New Warzone (merged thread)
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2013, 05:46:36 AM »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2013, 06:17:01 AM »
"my blood is boiling and heart is broken .... and who said how Cybertronic should looks like ? Paul Bonner - drawing guy?? or Mr. Fredrik Malmberg, creator of Mutant Chronicles, who approves all our concepts and so far he loves them!" - Jarek Ever

Just saw this over on the Resurrection page at Facebook in the thread about the Everassur. He goes on to make a valid  point that there must be content and fluff introduced to make this version different but it reads like a half explanation and half sneer at what we have done.

....please bear in mind, Warzone died, 3 times... and we won't follow previous license owners paths! There must be content of new stuff abd a small bit of fluff. After all we are making Horror- Sci-Fi game not D class Sci-Fi - Comedy - Jarek Ever

Not sure how I feel about all this and rather than start a war on their page I am hoping some of the more level headed people here who have kept me from blowing a fuse in the past will help me work past what I feel is a swift kick to the nads.
Hal, I do not think you should take it personally or on behalf of Thom either. There are quite a few of us still around here who have supported the game and especially UWZ for a long time. A bunch of us have our name in the book even :).

The MC universe has a rich history which we are all fond of. I think we still have to acknowledge that mistakes have been made with all editions of Warzone both when it comes to rules, minis or business mistakes. We also know that there are perfectly valid reasons for certain things that we do not need to air in public.

It is good that they are trying to learn from the past. They are also communicating and taking in feedback which is good. But in the end it is they who have to make decisions on where to go with the game. Not everything will be what us veterans want or think is the spirit of Warzone. But I try to combat my nostalgia tinted perceptions from the past. If the new rules or minis aren't to our liking we still can play with UWZ and haven't lost a thing but we have at least gained some new mini options.

Was that level headed enough, Hal?  :D

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2013, 06:18:52 AM »

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »
I think the dissing of Paul Bonner and especially the D-Class Sci-fi Comedy crack were uncalled for. I know my opinions don't mean anything and they are free to go whatever direction they want but to ask our opinions almost everytime they post a pic and then popping off when we give them was a little low class
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline brynolf

« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »
I loove the latest Vulkan design! This is just getting better.

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
Though, to be fair, more than a few people have been really uncharitable to them and have turned minor issues (like faction aesthetics) in to huge mountains.  It's especially jarring when there are some people who have played Warzone for a long time that are getting drowned out in the screaming over how things look wrong.  I think it is possible to phrase criticism without having to resort to hyperbole.

I personally actually liked the Everasseur as presented, I liked the initial Bauhaus concepts and easily saw the 1st Edition influences in the helmet design that the artist went for.  I know this is something a lot of us have been wishing for over the last, well, close to a decade.  But I think some people are taking it a bit personally when a concept or piece of art doesn't match their expectations.

Prodos seem to be a decent bunch and have been fairly responsive to criticism and concern, but a lot of people (not saying anyone here) have a gone a bit beyond reasonable criticism.  Remember that the guys at Prodos are fans of the game as well.  They played 1st Edition, 2nd Edition and even Ultimate Warzone and had fun with it.  This is equal parts business venture and labour of love from fans of the property.  It can't be easy to show off a concept and have a bunch of people crawl out of the woodwork to imply that they are just doing this as a cash grab and that they are destroying the soul of the game.

And as they said, they are running the concepts past Malmberg, the guy who created the universe we have loved for the last twenty years.  If his blessing isn't good enough then I wonder what is.  I know we all have our own conception of "how things should be", but how that looks can really vacillate from person to person.  Cybertronic has had one of the least consistent looks over the life of the game and have appeared as everything from sleek, chromed cyborgs to dirty and industrial looking depending on the artist.  Paul Bonner wasn't the only guy who drew Cybertronic and while a lot of people jump to him as the iconic Mutant Chronicles artist, I don't think we should devalue the work of all the other artists who constructed our conception of the game universe either.

Edit - And I say this as someone who actually liked the earlier Bauhaus concepts...  that Vulkan is freaking amazing!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:12:08 AM by Durandal »

Offline Grinder

• In war, truth is the first casualty.
« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »
Now that's more like it. Love the new Battle Suit, but I cant understand why they insist on having masks on ALL the troops of Bauhaus. Hope there will bee some options without masks, as there was in version 1.

Offline semai99

« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:16 AM »

I like the look of this walker a new take on the vulcans but it does look viable which I like I hope the driver/pilot has an ballistic shield in front of him or the bullets might ricochet into his head But I like the way they are improving the concepts but they do need to post updates on the kickstarter rather than just facebook as not everyone does facebook I also prefer some of the new Bauhaus helmet designs looking more promising each day
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline brynolf

« Reply #233 on: February 16, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
Yeah, they should definitely update the KS along with the FB. They should also get a blog we can follow via RSS.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2013, 09:26:05 AM »
I think the dissing of Paul Bonner and especially the D-Class Sci-fi Comedy crack were uncalled for. I know my opinions don't mean anything and they are free to go whatever direction they want but to ask our opinions almost everytime they post a pic and then popping off when we give them was a little low class

Hey TK,

There's so many ways to take offense, and in this case, I think none was meant.   

The new license holder is trying to respond to a few irate voices who insist that "if it doesn't look Paul Bonner, then you are a sellout" crowd.   The observation that they are Sci-Fi horror, I read as - guys, we have to design ugly looking nasties and heroic looking good guys.  They are going to try and avoid figures that are open to ridicule.   

The observation that Warzone has died three times is a tough comment, but it is accurate.   I know that Thom, Lance and crew poured their hearts into the game, and were on the cusp of success.  What Paradox did to them was the real kick in the nads.   

Feel free to take my observation for what it is worth.   

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »

I want to thank the guys at Prodos for being willing to listen to the "old guys" of the game.  I consider the helmets and Vulkan redesign to be a result of the feedback they are getting from various sources, including we fine UWZ guys!

Thanks to the Prodos crew!

I also want to thank everyone here who has kept their cool on some of the changes.   This game inspires a lot of passion, and add in the personal friendship many of us have, and we have the potential to get upset about OUR game.  

I remember on the old boards, when UWZ was the topic of controversy, and people left the community because of bad feelings that were created by some pretty ugly and personal posts..   I would urge everyone to take a 60 second breather before responding to a percieved slight or insult.  

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:37:51 AM by MadBrad »

Offline Lancelot

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »
Out of curiousity , where was all this stife and verbal warfare taking place? Am i missing something?

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »
Lance and TK,

TK, I'm reading through some of the posts on the Prodos FB site, and some of the people are getting a little impassioned.  I don't like some of the comments, especially some of the the accusations that the only reason all the companies failed was mis-managment.   I think we all know different.   Paradox yanked the license from a promising company in their own interests.     

Lance, my former comments apply to the old boards, before these opened.  Some of the old crew were pretty blunt in their opinions.   I know several of the followers on that board left due to an outright ugly atmosphere.   

On the current boards, the FF guy who stopped in to tell us about the MC mini's game got an earful, and lost his cool in response as well, as I recall.    I really don't have a desire to relive that, again.   

Hope that clears things up, at least a bit.

Offline Crenshaw el Mortificador

• Mortificador de la Hermandad
    • Mutant Chronicles Spain
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2013, 10:09:55 AM »
¡Vulkan much better!

And this is new Everassur great Redesign

Offline Joe Kool

« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »
"my blood is boiling and heart is broken .... and who said how Cybertronic should looks like ? Paul Bonner - drawing guy?? or Mr. Fredrik Malmberg, creator of Mutant Chronicles, who approves all our concepts and so far he loves them!" - Jarek Ever

Just saw this over on the Resurrection page at Facebook in the thread about the Everassur. He goes on to make a valid  point that there must be content and fluff introduced to make this version different but it reads like a half explanation and half sneer at what we have done.

....please bear in mind, Warzone died, 3 times... and we won't follow previous license owners paths! There must be content of new stuff abd a small bit of fluff. After all we are making Horror- Sci-Fi game not D class Sci-Fi - Comedy - Jarek Ever

Not sure how I feel about all this and rather than start a war on their page I am hoping some of the more level headed people here who have kept me from blowing a fuse in the past will help me work past what I feel is a swift kick to the nads.
Dude, I completely agree with you, their comments are a bit much and makes them sound like a bunch of condescending jerks at times.

For the record Warzone has only Died TWICE! The first time was complete mismanagement. I did not even know the details about what happened the second time as I was just playing a homebrew blend of 1st and 2nd ed.
"Shut up Mr. Burton, you were not brought upon this earth to 'get it'."