Author Topic: New Warzone (merged thread)  (Read 341023 times)

Offline Jase

Re: New Warzone (merged thread)
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2013, 12:06:22 AM »
I just backed this on Kickstarter.

Re: the Bauhaus concept: The Vulkan suit is rather stiff looking. I bear in mind that this is a concept artwork, so the final product may end up being different. Personally I'd like to see it as stompy as the original model, but a bit more boxy shaped; I'm picturing something similar to the Nort army's assault exo suit that appears in the Rogue Trooper game (I couldn't find a good pic of it on Google, sorry to say).

The rest of them appear fine to me.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Jase

« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:07 AM »
Have to say though, this is getting me inspired to get some figures painted up and play a game or two again.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Niart Gunn

• Journeyman
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2013, 02:54:38 AM »
Well, the Prodos page links to Kickstarter now. I'm really not sure if I should like that, kinda makes it look like there's money missing, and  Kickstarter might not be the best place for that tbh. Also, if you try it via Kickstarter, the things you show to the people that might support you, should have kind of a good visiual appearance and quite frankly, from a graphic designer's point of view the Prodos Games one looks bad and really amateurish. I've seen Tabletop Games on Kickstarter with at least as detailed models as this, and a visual appearance that looked 10 times better (and most importantly, professional) than this fail horribly on Kickstarter, so I 'm really not sure if this is going to work afterall. I mean, you need to get new people pledging money, just the old Warzone fans won't do.

And then there is this Vulcan Battlesuit concept art. Are you kidding me dudes?
This looks like a child using some carton boxes to feel like a Mechwarrior or something. Please no.

Offline semai99

« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2013, 03:31:03 AM »
I've gone ahead and backed the kickstarter, as a few have said here I like some of the new sculpts for some of the fractions Cybertronic and Brotherhood especially, but I must admit those current concept drawings for the Bauhaus don't do anything for me except the female one. I think it will do reasonably well as Warzone/Mutant chronicles is still popular in its concept and themed background. (+60 days gives me time to sell some stuff on ebay to pay for the new forces ;D)

WHO WANT TO BUY A KIDNEY  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:52:25 AM by semai99 »
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline micmellon

« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2013, 04:45:07 AM »
I am disappointed about the Bauhaus units, too.

The shoulder pads of the Hussars don’t look right. Maybe it is just the pose of the Hussars but it is called shoulder pads not arm pads. Please change the design of the Hussars!
It looks a little bit like the Venusian Ranger look got adapted to all units but somehow it doesn’t fit.
The Hussars has a touch of bad made LARP costumes. Sorry, I expected more than that.

The Vulkan is difficult. Of course we all are influenced from the 2nd Edition and the units from that book were not all 100% typical Warzone and it carries one more time the Ranger style. This smooth style has something of Bauhaus (the design style not the army). The arms looks like stolen from the Sons of Rasputin Shock Soldaten but I can live with them.
 The back is really not right. I just don’t like the rear. No amour there. No steam engine. Nothing… Oh, I forgot. Overall the front side looks ok. Not overwhelming but ok.

The Heroine could be a member of the Order of Fear. The Neurolash is their favored weapon or she is just a cruel one. At least she is the highlight of Bauhaus.

General about the design: If they look through all the old rulebooks and Bronner pictures they will see that the style of the Venusian Ranger is not omnipresent. There is more than that.

About Kickstarter. Why not? I thought that a Kickstarter project will be the only possible solution to get Warzone restarted.

But over all I have some critics how they present them. Standing around like somebody ordered some dolls and forgot to pick them up. They made a better job with the show offs before and the pictures are just in a bad resolution. It is difficult to see what people should support on the pictures. Hey you want their money then they can expect some good pictures.
At least this errors could be solved very fast, or?
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline semai99

« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2013, 04:59:02 AM »
I agree with 'micmellon' that a Kickstarter was probably one of the only ways to truly get it up and running again with enough fractions and units available straight away or else it would have been a rulebook with a couple of figures available with more released each month, which really would  be a non-starter for the game.
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »
Please tell me the Bauhaus is a joke.  I mean, it's a joke right.  Those are terrible.  I don't even follow Warzone heavily, but still, TERRIBLE.  It looks like a cheap cosplay.  Everything released so far, awesome, those, not remotely awesome. 

Pondering picking up a Brotherhood starter set, but not sure if I can play. 

Offline RLEE

« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2013, 08:20:02 AM »
um, I kind of like the designs of the Bauhaus faction tbh. give them more dynamic poses and exaggerate the scale to match 28mm figures and I think they'll be fine.

the vulkan suit in particular is a big improvement over the older version

Offline Crenshaw el Mortificador

• Mortificador de la Hermandad
    • Mutant Chronicles Spain
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2013, 08:55:47 AM »
Sincerely, Bauhaus designs are disappointing. They have to improve a lot.

Offline Lancelot

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »
Seems the point is going about. What REALLY worries me is the guns and overall look. There was reason one saw so many "gatling "type guns.

One of the most basic themes in MC and MC:WZ is the HIgh tech has been lost or at least too dangerous to use in common ways. The analogy I used to use in demos is humankind went from Star Trek level tech and, due to the Dark Legions corruption of the super speed computers , and had to go back to almost WW1 level with some things being about ALIENS (Colonial Marine,Sigorney Weaver) level. Even THAT level is touchy.

SO yes we're guns and stylings with a retro - historical and  even talking steampunk-esque  here with some modern types developed. Blood Berets for example had full armor and higher tech look but the basic Regulars and Trenchers had almost none and looked like they stepped right off the pages of history. Thats what makes Cybertronic stand apart from the other Megacorp. Theyre being the rebellious lot and bring back that ultra tech.

If everyone starts having a "ultra high tech look" then it doesn't really make Cybertronic stand out and the different Corps loose thier individual looks.  These designs remind one of the video game "Army of Two" rather than interesting figures that capture the interest and look of Bauhaus.  In certain case it might not be necessary to reinvent the wheel. Perhaps a more cleaned up,detailed, and  proportional sculpt of the original basic troops and Vulkan suit. (lets face it. the orginal sculpt of the Vulkan was a bit off for a human to be in it or even sitting in it.) The forearms need to be more bulked out more so they actually look like armor rather than skintight clothes. Ah heck , they need to be in full suit of armor and they need proper shoulder armor not just arms.

As i stated before , the heroine is in right direction but need bit more work. She needs sword i think. And her shoulder armor is awkward (it looks like  stuck on piece of cardboard  rather than actual armor, even as ceremonial). I have seen should armor in RL steampunk and historical re enactment that would fit in.

As for the Kickstarter, got no issues with using it at all. After all, did we not see it put to really good use by REAPER for the Bones line?

Offline rob_alderman

• WARZONE RESURRECTION 2013
    • PRODOS GAMES
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »
Niart Gunn, I think you need to do a little more digging!

The releases will occur with Kickstarter or not. It is being used to speed up production and quality.

There is money behind Prodos, without it, they wouldn't have such a massive liscense! :)

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »
In general, I agree that the Bauhaus troops need some more work.  

Even if you went with a longer shoulder pad that was higher, and then had two or three articulated pieces that extended down to cover the bicep, or even the entire upper arm, that would give them a better look.  That could even be the new Bauhaus signature look.  

TThe helmets need to be more Stahlhelm/Pickelhaube looking.   Give them a bit more bulk.  Maybe go with a helmet and goggles - so something more Afrika Korp.  That would bulk out the head a bit, and allow a shoulder pad placed higher on the shoulder. The facemasks look a bit too much like something a hockey goalie would wear.  Maybe use a gasmask, but one that has a bit more bulk.  

The Vulkan looks too high tech.  Not enough bulk.  

I love the Hussar jacket on the heroine model!   That is pure gunius!  

I think you all did good work on the Cyber, B-Hood and DL troops.   But, I think you need to re-visit the Bauhaus line and make them a bit more WW1 looking, and a little less Star Wars.  

Feel free to take or leave this advice.  I know that trying to please too many people can be the bane of an artist.  However, the lines of Bauhaus should be less BMW and more WWI.  

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »
I just edited a post with my mod hat.  This is a very free forum, and by all means express your opinion about the art, just be careful with the language you use.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Warlord

• THE WAY IS FORWARD!
    • 28mm World War II Wargaming at its finest...
« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2013, 09:35:32 AM »
...In certain case it might not be necessary to reinvent the wheel. Perhaps a more cleaned up,detailed, and  proportional sculpt of the original basic troops...

Could not agree more with this statement, my sentiment exactly.

I also agree that getting all of the “INPUT” can be daunting and you have to go where you need you believe to – this is a HUGE undertaking, but please bare in mind that there are some very valid points being made on the various forums and in the end you will know because it will translate into dollars or a lack there of.

And for the record, I too am in the camp that the Bauhaus needs to be re addressed going back to the original concept, the W.W.I Stahlhelm feel is a large part of that Corps signature.

However the new Brotherhood look very good thus far.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:28:52 AM by Warlord »
www.precisionmodeldesigns.com
www.Battlemart.com

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »
I was one of the first 5 people to back as soon as the KS launched... in at the Necromutant level..already getting eye rolls and head shakes from the wife..she is SO tired of kickstarter LMAO