Chronopia > Painting & Terrain

Empire Chronopia painting log... sort of!

(1/4) > >>

Horned Owl:
For this weekend´s Empire game, I had drawn up a series of counters. Worked so well that I´m going to expand the armies I have now (Blackblood and Firstborn.) I´ve drawn and coloured a variety of troops, scanned them and mounted them on white foam card. I also drew banners for the units, glued them to sewing pins and stuck them into the leader element. 

The Blackblood are quite aggressive, so I opted for a red colour scheme to bring that aspect out. I also liked the bronzed armour on this man´s army (see below), so I included this in my "paint scheme". It went nicely with the red:

Orc warriors and their banner.

To indicate that the warriors are led by an Alchemist, I added a second banner with the Burning Star device.

Orc Kutara cavalry and their banner.

Orc archers and their banner. I included the Myrmadon tusks to have a curved visual element to correspond with the bows.

Enhancements: The Provincial Standard and Goblin Guides.

Horned Owl:
The Firstborn are steadfast (I always associate them with the Roman Legions), but they are also a young and hopeful kingdom just testing its strength. I chose a blue and green scheme to show these qualities, with the tougher and sterner units (like the Iron Guard) tending more to blue, and the more impetuous units (like the Knights) having greenish cloaks.

Firstborn Mounted Knights and their Standard.

Firstborn Foot Knights and Standard. Note that I drew only the inside of their cloaks with the Firstborn hallmark checkerboard pattern – this is what I did to my Knights when I still painted miniatures. It saves a lot on paintwork and still has them sporting the characteristic checkers.
Those are swordsmen (as you might have noticed). I might one day draw alternative counters of macemen, so I can mix-and match. Just for the fun of it.
The standard is round and has the crenellated arch on a green field, matching the shield designs of a unit of Swordsmen.

Firstborn Crossbowmen with their standard. The intersected half-circle represents a crossbow, sort of.

Enhancements: Sanctified Iron, Nightwalkers, Iron Standard.

Leaders: Repulsar High Warden, Judge, Chronomancer, Firstborn Earl

Horned Owl:
Sooo... more Blackbloods. The Goblins are slightly smaller than the Orcs.

Troll with banner. Note the four crescent moons, symbolising the four arms of a Troll.

Ripper Beast light cavalry. Their banner has a bird´s skull, which I found appropriate.
Empire Chronopia does not differentiate between lancers and archers, and the Ripper cavalry stands have both close combat and support capability, so I decided on a mix of the two. In all probability this was what was intended by the authors.

Crimson Blades and their banner. Their role in Empire is radically different from Chronopia – they are light skirmishers best suited to do support fire (support fire!) for other units. Their near-legendary ability to deal damage in Chronopia does not at all reflect in their stats in Empire. I thought long and hard, but in the end opted for the original Crimson Blade look, with their customary two-handed falchions.

Horned Owl:

Iron Guard and Standard. Note the more bluish colour of their cloaks and standard. Those are the trusty and earnest types that offset the Knights´ usual overconfidence and impetuousness. 

Chronomancer with bodyguard and Standard. The fluff text does not mention if the four models per stand are all Chronomancers, but somewhere it says that Chronomancers take to the field of battle with their own retinue. I usually envision sorcerers as very rare and outstanding individuals, so I opted for a single Chronomancer per stand, filling in the rest with his personal minions – in this case, swordsmen knights.
To give the Chronomancers a more important and singular look, I coloured them red, standing out like a sore thumb in the overall blue-green army paint scheme.

joshuaslater:
Looks great!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version