Author Topic: Fire-based weapons...what do they do?  (Read 12940 times)

Offline Oakwolf

Fire-based weapons...what do they do?
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:52:11 AM »
Some weapons inflict fire-based damage (such as sundisk dagger, or sword of the phoenix).

Some even have (as per this FAQ) a Fire-based +1 modifier...

I am still new at chronopia, and i have no idea what this means.

Some fire-based attacks inflict wounds in a residual way (you roll until you save), but...this is typically stated in the texts. The rulebook mentions "energy weapons" and that sort, but...doesn't specifically mention fire-based attacks.

So...what's this "Fire-based" thing about, and what of the modifier that's placed after (+1, +2)?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
Re: Fire-based weapons...what do they do?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »
I believe it is just there for the Immune to Fire ability. Models with that ability suffer no damage from fire based/flame based attacks. I really don't know why the +1 and +2 are there. Of course, I've never actually played 2nd edition so I'm probably missing something.

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »
I've given this (the reason for the +1 and +2 on Fire Based) more thought, and while I haven't found anything definitive, I suspect that there was supposed to be another weapon effects type of Fire Based, like Bludgeoning. Instead of it causing extra damage against automatons and structures, it would cause extra damage against things vulnerable to fire, like ice elementals(which already have a specific vulnerability listed in their stats) and something old and dried out. I suspect that may in a future expansion there would be something that would have had this vulnerability. As it is I was unable to find anything in the FAQ or in the rules that would tell what the bonus is for.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:57:24 AM »
I'll defer to the Chronopia FAQ experts (joshuaslater, et al.), but, I believe that Delthos is, for the most part, correct.  In other words, there are some models who may take extra damage from fire attacks, and some who may be immune.  Therefore, if the weapon is stated as one which causes fire damage, then the respective model(s) would take more (or less) damage from a successful attack.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »
I'll defer to the Chronopia FAQ experts (joshuaslater, et al.), but, I believe that Delthos is, for the most part, correct.  In other words, there are some models who may take extra damage from fire attacks, and some who may be immune.  Therefore, if the weapon is stated as one which causes fire damage, then the respective model(s) would take more (or less) damage from a successful attack.

Correct.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA