Author Topic: [Battle report] Across the border - Bauhaus vs. Dark Legion (StarGrunt II rules)  (Read 25480 times)

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
One of the posts in the Warzone General Discussions threads prompted me to take one of my favourite small press games from its shelf. And then I asked myself (since the rules are fairly general and adaptable to nearly any military fiction background), why not? Why not use it with Mutant Chronicles?

I reactivated Andreas, one of my friends from my old MC role-playing days. He was all for it.

Since this is mainly an UWZ forum, and we used a different set of rules, I´ll have to ask whether it´s okay to post this. Any objections? I´ll spice it up with enough flavour text to make it worthwhile for the Warzone guys and gals on here. Promise.  :)

"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline Brother Jim

I am in no way giving an official answer, but in my opinion it would be cool to see Warzone and Chronopia battles fought with other systems.
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32

Offline micmellon

I don't think anybody has something against a well told Warzone story. It doesn't matter if you used a different set of rules as long the story is great.

The people are open-minded in this forum and a lot of people are playing different games in anyway.

I'm looking forward to read your battle report!
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Post away,please!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Pictures lots of pictures and terrain lots of terrain.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
You´ll be disappointed in the pictures... it´s all proxies. Haven´t seen a good tabletop in months. But I´ll try to oblige you.

:(

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
The starry night was clear and cold. Icicles hung from the barbed wire, glittering when the glare of the searchlights pierced the night. Snow covered the trench walls and sandbags in a thick white layer, adding to the misery of trench life. Hussars huddled into their dugouts, trying to get some warmth from the kerosene lamps. Their greatcoats were stiff with frost, and there was rime on their shoulder pads and spiked helmets. This was the northern rim of the Ring of Strife, close to the Circle of Ice, Venus´ white polar cap. Too close for Capitaine Velasquez´ liking.

Not even the barn-sized Grizzly battle tanks, whose topmost turrets were visible over the tallest fir-trees far behind his line, could reassure the Capitaine on this night. From this angle, their huge-bore barrels took on the aspect of empty eye-sockets staring balefully out over a dead landscape, gouged by trenches and spitted with guard towers. Half a mile away, across the frozen valley, were similar encampments, where the Imperial Conquistadors had dug in, on the edge of the village of Korograd. Several platoons, probably even two companies. Through his field glasses, Velasquez could make out the tops of tents, a limp Union Jack banner, snow-covered foxholes. All was quiet. Too quiet.

The Capitaine put down the binoculars and continued down the trench. Some soldiers half got up and touched the rim of their helmets when they saw him come up, which was what passed for a salute on this miserable section of the border. More often than not, they didn´t even move, too lost in their own personal hell to care. Velasquez knew he would have to instill some discipline soon, maybe even make a few examples. He didn´t like it. He was troubled, as troubled as the men under his command, and he was glad that his hussar´s faceplate hid his face. He kept his back very straight and his stride purposeful. But his stomach tightened, and he suddenly wished he had a cigarette. He pushed that thought back. Ever since he had been diagnosed with lung cancer, he had given up smoking, and by the Light, he was not going to start now.

The next clump of soldiers he passed were praying, passing around a small signed image of the Cardinal. He heard the mumble, and out of habit, his lips moved behind the mask, silently continuing the prayer as he walked on. "... of our sins absolve us, and guide us to the Light, strength give us to renounce the Dark..." The words rang hollow. On a night like this, they seemed devoid of meaning. An unholy chill gripped his heart. He felt it, the men felt it. Something was about to happen. Something awful.

The next post saluted but kept his eyes on the valley ahead. The soldier was smoking a cigarette, but hid the glow behind a cupped hand. Commendable, the Capitaine thought briefly. He kept his voice to a whisper. "Report?"

"Soldier Nyberg, Herr Capitaine. All quiet, sir. I do not like this."

"Nothing of the patrol?"

"No, Herr Capitaine."

"You´re right, soldier. I do not like it either."

There was a pause as both men stared out at the valley, each lost in his personal thoughts. Then Nyberg turned his head. The face below the helmet was very young.

"May I ask you something, Herr Capitaine?"

Velasquez frowned at the familiarity, but his mask hid the expression. He ****ed his head.

"Well, sir, you know, this is my first assignment, and, well, I´m – I´m scared, sir. If the Imperials attack, well, I don´t really know – I don´t know whether I´ll be able to – whether I´ll let my comrades down, let my officers down. Whether I´ll be able to do honour to my father." The words just poured out. "I want to make him proud. I want to – and I just don´t know. I´m sorry, Herr Capitaine. I´m sorry."

Velasquez said nothing, but laid a hand on the soldier´s shoulder pad and stared into his eyes. The boy looked up.

"Does it ever get better?"

The Capitaine slowly shook his head.

"No, soldier. If anything, it gets worse with each battle." He watched the young man pale, bravely holding back the tears.

"But when the fighting starts, you will know what to do. Because that is the nature of combat. It doesn´t leave you time to think or be afraid. You will do the right thing, because you won´t have a choice."

Both men looked at each other. And then they caught a movement in the corner of their eye. Instantly they were on the dugout´s rim, raising their field glasses.

"A spiked helmet, Herr Capitaine! That is the patrol!"

Velasquez narrowed his eyes. There was something wrong with the soldiers marching across the valley. They moved with a pained gait, swaying slightly and dragging limbs behind. Were they wounded? But he had never seen a wounded man walk that way. All his bad premonitions flared up.

"Your name was Nyberg, soldier?"

"Yes, Herr Capitaine." There he was, proud that an officer remembered his name. Velasquez shook his head.

"Run down the trench and rouse the third platoon, Soldier Nyberg. They are to take up their positions. I want weapons locked and loaded, and the machine guns manned with extras. Understood?"

"Third platoon to take up positions, weapons loaded, machine guns manned with extras. Zu Befehl, Herr Capitaine." The soldier started clambering up into the trench from the dugout.

"And soldier?"

The boy turned back hesitantly. "Yes, sir?"

"You couldn´t spare a comrade a cigarette, Soldier Nyberg?"

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Not a week ago, Imperial conquistador troops captured the Bauhaus town of Korograd, located on the snowy northern rim of the Ring of Strife on Venus. They retooled the production facilities for their own use and left behind a heavily armed occupation force to protect their investment from its erstwhile owners. Already Imperial advertises to the customers that it will keep up supply of Bauhaus-Korobond(tm) steel fittings to the market, and promises that prices will be substantially lower than they were under the Bauhaus aegis.

Not wishing to create an incident (and afraid of alienating Korobond´s customers), Bauhaus currently refrains from attacking the facilities, trying to settle the matter through diplomatic channels. The trench garrison force of Hussars from the 43rd Venusian regiment is under orders to keep a close watch on the Imperial lines, but to initiate no hostile action unless they are attacked themselves.

Tensions run high on the Bauhaus line, as a platoon-strength patrol has gone missing. Unbeknownst to their comrades, the patrol disturbed a sleeping subterranean Citadel of Algeroth. Killed and resurrected, the platoon returns to their own lines as animated Legionnaires. Suddenly, the relative importance of stock values and market shares is lost on the soldiers, who are shaken to the bone.

Because of the political pressure against a firefight, and because the troops are afraid of shooting their own patrol by accident, the Legion forces are represented by inverted counters until spotted and identified. Two of the counters actually represent survivors from the platoon. "Recon by fire" or blind firing might kill the Hussars´ comrades, which will cause all Bauhaus units in line of sight of the killed soldiers to drop a morale level. The Legion player must use at least one action per turn to move the survivors´ counters closer to the Bauhaus lines.

As soon as the survivors´ counters are identified, control of them is switched to the Bauhaus player. The survivors have exhausted most of their ammunition, and their resolve has been shattered by the fate of their comrades (BROKEN morale level). They are not of much use in a fight, but if at least half of them can reach the Hussars´ lines, the morale of all Bauhaus units will rise one level.

The Legionnaires´ mission is to capture as many Hussars as possible for braincoring and reanimation – whether dead, wounded or alive is of no real concern to their masters.  Their "med-evac" support consists of vehicles fitted with large cages that can transport the cadavers and prisoners to the citadel.

Maintaining morale will play an important role for the Hussars, to be able to withstand the inevitable close assault by the Legion.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!

Made the hills of stacked books covered with a green fleece blanket. It´s not a bad way to represent hills if you have no ready terrain. The counters in the foreground are unit and leader quality (REGULAR-2) and morale level (SHAKEN).

We used my old Spacelords battleclone miniatures to represent the Bauhausers, and Andreas´ BattleTech Kurita and Steiner infantry for the Legionnaires. I didn´t take pictures of the vehicles, but they were represented by shoals of pocket calculators. *cough*
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:21:56 AM by Horned Owl »

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!

The Legionnaires take fire as they advance but shuffle on regardless. Their wounded just get up and crawl along despite their injuries. Note the suppression markers on the Bauhaus squad on the right – those mean that they have taken fire and have to keep their heads down, unable to fire at the advancing undead.

The squad on the left has one wounded, but already patched him up (the red cross marker). Med-evac is on its way. The Undead have one untreated wounded (the blood splotch marker).

The Legion assaults the dug-in Hussars´ position. The Legionnaires´ Terror effect and immunity to morale meant that despite being extremely low quality troops and taking a terrible mauling by the Bauhausers, they still managed to rout the Hussars and follow through with the assault. It was unnerving watching my troops being victorious by a score of two or three to one, yet having their morale drop to rock bottom and retreating nonetheless.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:14:52 AM by Horned Owl »

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!

Legionnaires firing over a low wall (represented by pens). In all, fire by the Legion didn´t result in too many casualties, but the Ashnagaroth machine guns with their high rate of fire managed to inflict a lot of suppression results, which left the Hussars wide open to close assault.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Differences from Warzone in a nutshell:

• StarGrunt II has a differentiated morale system where troops under stress may drop in morale levels – from CONFIDENT, via STEADY, SHAKEN, BROKEN all the way down to ROUTED. It will take several failed morale tests in a row to send a squad packing or retreating, but they will gradually become more reluctant to expose themselves to fire, and once broken, morale will stay low. Morale level is also the deciding factor in close assault situations, more so than unit quality or equipment.

• Officers can activate squads a second time during a turn (similar to the Give Orders action).

• Firing is resolved by squads (or in larger games, by half-platoons), not by individual soldiers, which speeds up the game.

• Ranged combat results in very little casualties. Two forces can fire at each other across a range all day with little result. Ranged fire is mainly used to suppress units and keep them from moving or sticking their heads out so they can either be overrun in a close assault, or blown to bits with artillery and mortar strikes.

• Firing ranges are not dependent on the weapon, but on the firing unit´s quality – a veteran soldier can hit to wound or suppress at a far greater range than a green recruit with the same rifle.

• Gunfire may kill soldiers or wound them. Wounded have to be carried (hampering the squad) or med-evacuated. If they have to be abandoned, this is usually accompanied by a sharp drop in morale level. Conversely, med-evac can raise the soldiers´ morale.

• It explicitly says in the rules that someone who wants to fire at medical rescue vehicles may do so, but will have to buy all the beers afterwards (which is StarGrunt´s way of enforcing the Geneva convention). Incidentally, this may make playing the Dark Legion somewhat expensive in the long run.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Stargrunt II requires players to draw up a theoretical TO&E for their troops, complete with support units that are not actually represented on the table, such as med-evac, artillery, mortars, and air support. My troop layout for this scenario was as follows:

Part of 2nd Company, 5th Battallion, 43rd Venusian Regiment:

--- Company HQ:
--- REGULAR-1 (D8 Quality die) - Armour D8 (full light armour) - Sensors D6 (aided vision)

------ Capitaine Velasquez (company commander) - armed with a MP-50 submachinegun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8)
--------- and officers´ sabre (+1 close combat)
------ Company sergeant - armed with a Hagelsturm assault shotgun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8, +2 close combat)
------ 2 Hussars - armed with Panzerknacker assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D10)

--- 3rd Hussar Platoon

------ Platoon command unit:
------ REGULAR-2 (D8 Quality die) - Armour D8 (full light armour) - Sensors D6 (aided vision)
------ Mounted on horses (Move 10 / 2D10)

--------- Leutnant Korolev (platoon commander) - armed with a MP-50 submachinegun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8)
------------ and officers´ sabre (+1 close combat)
--------- Platoon sergeant - armed with a Hagelsturm assault shotgun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8, +2 close combat)
--------- 2 Hussars - armed with Panzerknacker assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D10)

------ 1st Squad:
------ VETERAN-2 (D10 Quality die) - Armour D8 (full light armour)
------ Mounted on horses (Move 10 / 2D10)

--------- Sergeant Branduari (squad commander) - armed with a Hagelsturm assault shotgun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8, +2 close combat)
--------- 1 Hussar - armed with a MG-80 heavy rotary machinegun (Firepower D12, Impact D10)
--------- 5 Hussars - armed with Panzerknacker assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D10)

------ 2nd Squad:
------ REGULAR-2 (D8 Quality die) - Armour D8 (full light armour)

------ Sergeant Hardt (squad commander) - armed with a Hagelsturm assault shotgun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8, +2 close combat)
------ 1 Hussar - armed with a MG-80 heavy rotary machinegun (Firepower D12, Impact D10)
------ 1 Hussar - armed with a disposable rocket launcher (Firepower D10, Impact D12*, 3 rounds of ammo)
--------- and a Panzerknacker assault rifle (Firepower 2, Impact D10)
------ 4 Hussars - armed with Panzerknacker assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D10)

------ 3rd Squad:
------ REGULAR-1 (D8 Quality die) - Armour D8 (full light armour)

--------- Sergeant Gerbrand (squad commander) - armed with a Hagelsturm assault shotgun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8, +2 close combat)
--------- 1 Hussar - armed with a MG-80 heavy rotary machinegun (Firepower D12, Impact D10)
--------- 1 Hussar - armed with a disposable rocket launcher (Firepower D10, Impact D12*, 3 rounds of ammo)
------------ and a Panzerknacker assault rifle (Firepower 2, Impact D10)
--------- 4 Hussars - armed with Panzerknacker assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D10)

--- Light armour platoon:
--- REGULAR-2 (D8 Quality die)

------ 4 Jackal PZRV light scout tanks - size 2 High Mobility Wheeled vehicles - Armour 2* - Sensors D8 (scout sensors)
--------- armed with a turreted HKP-3 cannon (Firing system D8, Impact D12 x 3)
--------- and a pintle-mounted MG-80 heavy rotary machinegun (Firepower D12, Impact D10)
--------- designated as artillery liaison elements for the Grizzly support

--------- Crew: Armour D6 (partial light armour) - Move 8" / 2D8"
--------- 2 crew to each vehicle - armed with a MP-50 submachinegun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8, +1 close combat)

This looks like a lot, but in SGII firing and moving is done in whole squads at a time. All troops start the game at the TIRED fatigue level. Mission Motivation is MEDIUM.

Off-table assets:

--- Light mortar section
--- at company level, 1 turn inbound:
------ 4 light mortars (burst radius 3"), anti-personnel (D12 vs infantry / D8 vs point targets)

--- Support fire from Grizzly battle tanks (behind the lines)
--- at regimental level, 2 turns inbound:
------ 3 tank guns, firing indirectly (burst radius 6"), anti-vehicle (D6 vs infantry / D12 x 2 vs point targets)

--- Med-evac vehicles
--- REGULAR-2 (D8 quality die)

------ 3 Converted Sabretooth half-track bikes: - size 1 Tracked vehicles - Armour 1*, open-topped
--------- hold 2 wounded soldiers each
--------- Crew: Armour D6 (partial light armour) - Move 8" / 2D8"
--------- 2 crew to each vehicle - armed with a MP-50 submachinegun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8, +1 close combat)

The company officer has four priority counters.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:53:23 AM by Horned Owl »

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Survivors of the patrol:

--- Remnants of 4th squad
--- REGULAR-2 (D8 Quality die) - Armour D8 (full light armour)

------ Sergeant  (squad commander) - armed with a Hagelsturm assault shotgun (close range only, Firepower 3, Impact D8, +2 close combat)
------ 3 Hussars - armed with Panzerknacker assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D10)
------ 2 wounded Hussars

--- Remnants of 5th squad
--- VETERAN-2 (D10 Quality die) - Armour D8 (full light armour)

------ 3 Hussars - armed with Panzerknacker assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D10)
------ 1 Hussar - armed with a MG-80 heavy rotary machinegun (Firepower D12, Impact D10)

All survivors start the game at EXHAUSTED fatigue level and BROKEN morale level. Mission Motivation is LOW.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:10:25 PM by Horned Owl »

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Company Gorgaz - 3rd Kohort of the Venusian Reapers

--- Company command section:
--- VETERAN-2 (D10 Quality die) - Armour D8 (full light armour)
--- (ignore morale and fatigue)

------ Centurion Gorgaz (company commander) - armed with a Belzarach assault rifle (Firepower 2, Impact D10) and Skalak sword (+1 close combat)
------ 4 Necromutants - armed with Belzarach assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D10) and bayonet (+1 close combat)

--- 1st section:
--- UNTRAINED-2 (D4 Quality die) - Armour D4 (ill-assorted armour pieces) - Move 4" / 2D4"
--- Undead (ignore morale, fatigue and suppression) -
--- Wounded legionnaires canot fight except in close combat (at -1 die type), but move of their own accord.
--- May not go prone. - May not call for support. - If leader is dead, no actions possible until reorganised into another squad.
--- Terror effect

------ Necromutant (squad commander) - armed with a Belzarach assault rifle (Firepower 2, Impact D10) and bayonet (+1 close combat)
------ 9 Undead Legionnaires - armed with Kratach assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D8) and bayonets (+1 close combat)
------ 1 Undead Legionnaire - armed with Ashnagaroth light machinegun (Firepower D10, Impact D8)

--- 2nd section:
--- UNTRAINED-2 (D4 Quality die) - Armour D4 (ill-assorted armour pieces) - Move 4" / 2D4"
--- Wounded legionnaires canot fight except in close combat (at -1 die type), but move of their own accord.
--- May not go prone. - May not call for support. - If leader is dead, no actions possible until reorganised into another squad.
--- Terror effect

------ Necromutant (squad commander) - armed with a Belzarach assault rifle (Firepower 2, Impact D10) and bayonet (+1 close combat)
------ 9 Undead Legionnaires - armed with Kratach assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D8) and bayonets (+1 close combat)
------ 1 Undead Legionnaire - armed with Ashnagaroth light machinegun (Firepower D10, Impact D8)

--- 3rd section:
--- UNTRAINED-3 (D4 Quality die) - Armour D4 (ill-assorted armour pieces) - Move 4" / 2D4"
--- Terror effect

--- 4th section:
--- Terror effect

------ 1 Undead Legionnaire - armed with a flamethrower (close combat only, +2 close combat, Terror effect)

--- 1st Support section:
--- REGULAR-2 (D8 Quality die) - Armour D6 (partial light armour)

------ 2 Necromutants - armed with Ashnagaroth light machineguns (Firepower D10, Impact D8)

--- 2nd Support section:
--- REGULAR-3 (D8 Quality die) - Armour D6 (partial light armour)
--- Undead (ignore morale and fatigue)

------ 2 Necromutants - armed with disposable rocket launchers (Firepower D10, Impact D12*, 3 rounds of ammo each)
--------- and Belzarach assault rifles (Firepower 2, Impact D10) and bayonets (+1 close combat)

--- 1 Razide
--- REGULAR-2 (D10 Quality die) - Armour D12 (metal structure - counts as power armour)
--- Undead (ignore morale, fatigue and suppression)
--- Terror effect
------ armed with a Nazgaroth heavy machine gun (Firepower D10, Impact D12)

--- 1 Razide
--- VETERAN-2 (D10 Quality die) - Armour D12 (metal structure - counts as power armour)
--- Undead (ignore morale, fatigue and suppression)
--- Terror effect
------ armed with a Nazgaroth heavy machine gun (Firepower D10, Impact D12)

Light armour section:
REGULAR-2 (D8 Quality die)
(ignore morale and fatigue)

--- 4 Hellhound light tanks - size 2 High Mobility Wheeled vehicles - Armour 2* - exposed movement system
------ armed with a turreted heavy flamer (close range only, Firing system D8, Impact D12 x 4)
------ and a pintle-mounted Nazgaroth heavy machinegun (Firepower D10, Impact D12)

------ Crew: Armour D6 (partial light armour)
------ 3 crew to each vehicle - armed with Voriche pistols (close range only, Firepower 1, Impact D10, +1 close combat)

Off-table assets:

--- Unholy Carronade section
--- at Kohort level, 2 turns inbound:
------ 3 Carronades(burst radius 4"), anti-personnel (D12 vs infantry / D8 vs point targets) or anti-vehicle (D6 vs infantry / D12x2 vs point targets)

--- "Med-evac" vehicles
--- REGULAR-2 (D8 quality die)

--- Converted Reaver troop carrier: - size 2 Hi-mobility Wheeled vehicle - Armour 2*, open-topped
------ holds 10 wounded, captured or dead soldiers
------ Crew: Armour D6 (partial light armour) - Move 8" / 2D8"
------ 2 crew to each vehicle - armed with Voriche pistols (close range only, Firepower 1, Impact D10, +1 close combat)

No priority counters. The Legion player has four dummy counters.

All Dark Legion troops start the game at CONFIDENT morale level (and will stay that way, since they´re all immune to morale tests).