Author Topic: NEW MEMBERS, PLEASE, READ THIS IN ORDER TO BE REGISTERED!  (Read 43206 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
NEW MEMBERS, PLEASE, READ THIS IN ORDER TO BE REGISTERED!
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »
Due to the proliferation of spam and those who have no idea what Talaminiatures is, I have had to institute this  in order to ensure that spam is kept to a minimum without accidentally nuking users who truly want to be members of this forum.

Daily, there are at least 50 to 100 new signups of which, easily, 95% are bogus spammers wanting access to our forum to propogate their insidious, wasteful and potentially harmful e-"commerce" on our forums.  To combat this, we (the Admins) have taken to selectively nuking IP's, domains and other identifiers in an attempt to keep our boards free of these types of "users."  This is incredibly time-consuming.  I no longer have that time available to properly monitor this.  Therefore, the following procedure has been put into place:

From now on, anyone who wishes to become a new member must send me an e-mail at:  dmcgee1@gmail.com  This e-mail MUST contain the following:

In the subject line of the e-mail:  NEW USER REQUEST
In the body of the e-mail:  
 - Real name
 - Registered user name
 - e-mail address
 - Geographical region (ex.: Poland, Eastern United States, Cincinnati-area, etc.)
 - A brief reason for wanting to be a member of our forums (do not worry about language of choice, as I will be able to translate through a web-service).

There should be no attachments, no HTML or other "active" content.  If any suspicious content is detected, I will nuke the e-mail before opening it and the e-mail address from whom it was sent will be permanently banned.

I am sorry that it has to be this way.  I wish that no one wanted to use our forums for such activities, but I cannot control that.  What I can do to help our forums remain free of this is to institute better safeguards against it.  This is one of those safeguards that others have made necessary.

If current members are aware of any members who wish to join, but are unable to do so, please contact me via the above e-mail address or by PM.

Thank you for your understanding and your patience.

David McGee
Forum Moderator
FAQ Team Member
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:34:58 AM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!