Author Topic: Conversion contest/show off  (Read 5142 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Conversion contest/show off
« on: February 09, 2006, 06:58:09 AM »
Alright.  I've been a little down lately, with nothing but bad news, so I thought I'd propose a contest or at least a "show off your stuff" event.  Especially with Matt Gubser's pics being posted lately, I thought it would be cool if we mortals could show off our conversion/sculpting skills.

The gallery on the old site was great for posting pics and I feel we've really lost something there.

So, how 'bout we use these cold winter months to get any conversions done and painted, and post them to the forum.  If Coil or Wedge or Southpaw, or Topkick, or any moderators I've missed can organize/judge--and maybe award prizes--cool.  If not, I think it would be a great way to kick start everyone's creative juices. 

Obviously these models should be Excelsior for the most part, or even in some part, to create models not produced or variants of those that are.  For both Warzone and Chronopia.  I'm sure people sculpting for EE would get a good idea of some directions we would like to see our models go, and hell, it'll help clear our workspace.

Anyone down?
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: Conversion contest/show off
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 07:05:26 AM »
I think that's a really good idea. I can't promise prizes but I say we start this as a way for people to show off their work and share tips, techniques and ideas.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 07:30:28 AM »
Forget about prizes.  Let's just see EE get their casting pots in order and back on track.  We should just do this for ourselves. 

The old gallery had SO much good painting and really helped me get into this game, as well as try new techniques.  We need some cool pics of what this community is doing.  This is OUR HOUSE.  Let's keep that in mind foremost, and have some kickass work--if our forum/gaming community is to grow, this is one way to catch people's eyes.

I think that a conversion contest would be a change from the painting contests seen previously, and again, with greens hangin' over our heads either in progress or waiting to be cast, I thought what better time than now?

And let's make this open to all--if Matt Gubser has some Chronopia/Warzone conversion (or new green, he he) well then, let everyone post to their heart's content.  Multiple entries if you got'em.  Go crazy. 

Offline semai99

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:22:13 AM »
I miss the old gallery, I was lucky and managed to download a load of images so i've a good set of reference material of other peoples approaches to different colour schemes that i might not of thought of trying.
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »
Just in time for me to do my Legate Squad, Bodyguards and Executioner.   ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 12:15:26 AM »
Just in time for me to do my Legate Squad, Bodyguards and Executioner.   ;D
Sounds like an interesting project. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 12:50:28 AM »
I hope to have all the bits gathered by the end of next week and then it should go quickly as the actual conversions are not that difficult (I hope)  ;)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 12:02:14 PM »
You're gonna dig what I'm throwin' down.  I'm pretty fired up about this first one.

Feel free to re-post any old conversions you may have had from the old site as well--you can post as many as you like, as we lost a lot of good stuff with the gallery goin' down.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 12:04:21 PM by joshuaslater »