Author Topic: Worst Video Games Ever Made!!  (Read 6529 times)

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
Worst Video Games Ever Made!!
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »
Did you ever play a game in the arcade, and felt like you deserved your Quarters back?

Or how about that game that everyone raved about, and after you played it, you wished you could get that portion of your life back?

Well, it is time to expound upon that experience.

What video games do you hate, loathe, or severly dislike?

Perhaps you even smashed one or two of them in geek-like rage.  I know I have! ::)

Tell us what it was...  and what system it was on.

I'll start with a few obvious ones.

ET: The Extra Terrestrial (Atari 2600)  --  This game was so unplayable and so over-hyped that Atari
                                                                 buried a few million of them in the desert.  Apparently
                                                                 they made too many copies.  Yet, somehow every one who
                                                                 had a 2600 owned a copy.  I own 3. ;D

Revolution X (arcade)  --  If you have never seen this game... you cannot grasp the horror that it is.
                                        Someone had the brilliant idea that there should be a game built around and
                                        starring Aerosmith.  It plays somewhat like "Operation Wolf"...  except that your
                                        weapon of choice seems to be a machine gun that shoots CDs.  And you shoot
                                        this oddly comical weapon at the "yellow jumpsuit badguy w/gun".  Him and
                                        50,000 OF HIS IDENTICAL CLONES.  There is a good side though.  Each time
                                        that you put a quarter in...  Steven Tyler screams, "ARE YOU READY TO ROCK!!"
                                        This is clearly the most redeeming quality of the game.

Wall Street Kid (NES)  --  Your uncle dies and leaves you money.  Now go and play on the stock market.
                                        I know for a fact that no one I know has ever seen this game, let alone heard of it.
                                       Yes... unfortunately...  I have it.  But I didn't buy it.  I ended up with it. :-\

There are plenty of others out there...

Bring em on!!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 07:24:07 PM by NinjaCat »
Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
Re: Worst Video Games Ever Made!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 05:54:30 AM »
Now, I know I'm going to get alot of flack for this, but I'd have to vote for Metal Gear Solid (both 1 and 2).

Gameplay-wise, they're both great, and are terrific fun to play, unforutnatly, the game has one glaring problem.

The Cutscenes.

As much as I like a good solid story in a gmae I'm playing, never before have I been so bored in my life.  Not only did I find EVERY character annoying, the scenes went on for WAY too long.  Seriously, if the director of the game wanted to make a movie, he should have, but I shouldn't have to sit for 45 minutes while 2 character bicker about Nuclear weapons, or what each other is wearing.  As my Avatar can tell you, I vastly prefer Splinter Cell to MGS, simply because of that reason.  Any dialog in game is being said WHILE I PLAY, which is great, since hte game doesn't have to pause and set up the communications screen so someone can tell me I shouldn't get caught.

...ahhh... it's good to get that off my chest...

oh, that, and there's too many Ninja and Vampires for my liking (in the second one at least)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 09:56:34 AM »
Well Jibby you knew it was coming so here's the requisite flak.  You hated MGS what the heck is wrong with you!!!!!

Ok now that thats overwith I can honestly say that I loved the first metal gear solid, but the second one aggrevated me to know end, they made the cutscenes longer, changed the main character to a whiny little bitch, and went crazy with the conspiracy theories.  My second time through the game (yes I played all the way through that piece of crap twice) I timed myself and there was litterally more cutscene time than play time.  Screw that!

Also in this light check out this in which the webcomic likens a few particular crappy video games to some of his more interesting sexual experiences....And yes E.T. for the Atari 2600 is in there.  Except Duck Hunt, Duck hunt ruled all.  Darn that laughing dog.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:58:05 AM »
While I admit the first MGS was far better, I still found all the characters annoying.

Solid Snake whined far too much about nuclear weapons and how "you have no friends on the battlefield". I understand that in Japan, there's a very strong anti-nuclear movement (for good reason) but still, there's no need to shove it down my throat, especially having it come from a character who, really, is a very poor soldier (constantly argueing with his comanding officer, for one)

Every other character was so 1-dimensional and unrealistic I had a hard time caring about any of them.  A cyber-ninja? A russian cowboy? A giant indian dude with huge tattoos? really, WTF?  Why can't I just go up against a group of terrorists?  Why must the makers of MGS make everyone in their games a cartoonish oddity?

And really, in the second game, why couldn't I take the Mercs AK47s?  Genetically coded grips on ALL of their weapons!  Lets see, I must have killed at least 2 or 3 hundred of them.  If they're rich enough to equip 500 some odd soldiers with top of the line gear like that, why are they mercs?  The same thing with the "genetically engineered" soldiers in the first one... if they were so modified with gene-tech and stuff, how come Solid can just slap them around so easy?  Wouldn't it make sense to just have them be regular guys?  What ever happened to having a game where there are regular people in it?! (ala Splinter Cell)

*end rant here*
:p
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline gwingfan

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:45:08 PM »
Residen Evil Dead aim and Survivor, and unless you like FF7 alot, Dirge of Cerberus, w/ its horrid gameplay and idea to count cutscenes as a part of game time.
I am a dark lord of the sith, fear me!!
Homebase: Ambler, PA (near philly); Currently at the University of Central Florida in the Orlando, FL area

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 07:27:48 PM »
Did you play RE Dead AIM with a light gun?  The game is absolutly awesome controling the movement with a controller in your left hand and shooting with the light gun in your right.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 09:22:15 PM »
Hello.
Okay my list 1. Sewer shark Sega CD.  why? Some things are best left unsaid. 2 Evil Dead ps1 why? dumbass controls and stupid badguys. 3 Moon Base PC why? crashed my bloody pc and had no point to it.

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 04:32:01 AM »
one word---"Ratigators!"
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline gwingfan

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 08:41:56 AM »
It just isnt as good as it could have been.
I played it @ a friend's house.
I am a dark lord of the sith, fear me!!
Homebase: Ambler, PA (near philly); Currently at the University of Central Florida in the Orlando, FL area