Author Topic: shoot & hide  (Read 6418 times)

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
shoot & hide
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:11:11 AM »
shoot & hide
or, as dmcgee called it, dick dancing  ;)

as i'm new to this game, i'm trying to figure out how to overcome a player that does such a thing.
Let's say he has a good close-combat/short-range combat force, and my force is more suited for long range.
If I move close-up, he will have an advantage.
On the other hand, if I just "wait" for him to pop out, while he's shooting once every turn with each unit, i'm shooting less than once for each unit (unless ambush SA) because of the LD test to come out of wait.

So what's the smart thing to do? ::)

esp. if I can't take him from the side/behind

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

Re: shoot & hide
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:47:02 AM »
In that situation don't be a target.  Change your strategy and manuever your troops such that he can't get at you from where he currently is, and at the same time find a better firing position against him.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 11:04:13 AM »
Put a small unit on wait to respond to his DD and then flank him with another squad. Another option would be to use some indirect burst fire weapons to drop a blast of shrapnel-ly goodness in his tailpipe
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 12:56:26 PM »
Out manuever him,  By flanking or getting a proper firing angle.

Charge him.  As it's your turn and he's commited to "dick dancing" charge in a unit and engage his front line skirmishers.  They don't have to win the combat they just have to tie them up long enough for you to bring in a squad with Deadshot or the ability to put a hurting on any other squads waiting for you.

Don't bother.  Unless there is an objective or a very good reason to go in there, don't.  The Maginot line was a great idea on paper, until the attackin forces jsut went around it.

Send in the weakest unit in your squad.  Let him Charge or be charged then send in the HMG's with deadshot (or without) and the FT's and the Jimmy-Dean-Pork-Sausage Repeating Chainguns and whatever else you have and clear them out.

If you are playing Capitol, send in the Free Marines or Wailing Banshees.  The Free Marines are just crazy enough and just nasty enough in CC to hold their own and the Wailing Banshees can scoot right past defenders and get into the rear ranks to cause havoc, both of those buy time for the AssMars to waddle up and unload.

or just nuke the site from orbit.  it's the only way to be sure.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline semai99

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 01:12:20 AM »
HI chribu,

As you havn't specified which two armies your playing between its hard to give a specific advice to combat his tactic except what has been said here upto now.

I play Bauhaus a lot so I'd personally go for RL, GL and grenadiers with the template weapons to flush him out, Paudron Hussars with there GT and 2 HMG's  :)  Etolies Mortants with FT & Genadiers,  Flamethrowers come into there own against smaller CC units.

Be patience and build up your attack get your troops slowly into better firing postions using the cover and as he does his shoot & hide tactic you will be able to concentrate against his units whipping them one by one forcing him to try and get into CC with you.  ;D
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline semai99

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 01:25:28 AM »
Oh I forgot play more scenarios this will vary your games more and make him and you change your tactics for any given scenario shoot & hides going to be no good if he has to take somewhere  ;D

Offline chribu

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 04:36:22 AM »
My army will probably be one of the two:

A)
Ducal Militia 4+sgt+hmg
Vulkans 4+sgt
Dragoons 4+sgt
GT Offroad

B)
Ducal Militia 4+sgt+hmg
Vulkans 4+sgt
Hussars 4+sgt+HMG (or FT)
Konrad Von Junts

the goal here is to try and kill most of the enemy's units while keeping alive yours (no scenario objectives at the moment).

Offline chribu

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 04:42:47 AM »
i could change them to add some GL:
A)
Ducal Militia 4+sgt+GL
Vulkans 4+sgt
Hussars 4+sgt
GT Offroad

B)
Ducal Militia 4+sgt+hmg
Vulkans 4+sgt
Dragoons 4+sgt+GL
Konrad Von Junts

Offline Enker

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 04:58:06 AM »
"Fire and Hide". I hate this game play, unless you are playing a scenario and that is the key point.
We nearly always play scenarios. They ad the spice to the game. In scenarios you must fullfill a mission goal.
You must think twice how long you can use the "fire and hide" tactic to be still able to reach the scenario goal.
For that I love my Wailing Banshees. Shoot the first turns at your enemy from cover and then fullfill the mission.

If you are playing without a scenario it is difficult to make a good game. You must use the same F&H tactic.
Otherwiese he will slowly shoot down your troopers and hide again. You can try to outflank him, but this depends on
the cover on the field. Ambush is great against such a tactic of course, but the ability is rare and troops with ambush
have often bad stats or weapons.
If you know your opponent plays with this tactic you can try to assault against him with flamers and HMG's,
but this only works, if he has a bad RC army, otherwiese he will kill you, before you reach him.

Maybe you just do the same as your opponent and after 2 hours of gameplay without a single loss, you will set up a new game with a scenario.
Easy Scenarios in which both players must fullfill the same goal (for example different variantions of "capture the flak") are most time the best scenarios.
Complicated scenarios often have weaknesses in reaching the goals. If the players haven't the same goals it is diffucult to balance the scenario well.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline chribu

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 05:15:25 AM »
ambush... yep that's why I was considering a strike skimmer instead of the GT Offroad, although the stats are worse...

Offline semai99

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 09:40:40 AM »
Bauhaus does have a few good troops you could take the Paudron Hussars have Guerilla training,, the Recitors have ambush, Para-depolying Blitzers, Infultrating Jeagers, Mounted Hussars with Guerilla training and Jungle kommandos with ambush and camouflage (with all those shotguns ;D) CC's not to bad either.

So you have quite a lot of options to keep him guessing where your troops may pop-up and attack on flank and swep your way across.

Another option is to play the Hostile environmental terrain effects these can make some good games.

I've not played for a while but we used to have some objective cards. Basically you pick your forces as normal but before the game you pick out a card with your primary objective on it and a secondary objective as well. You score extra points for completing these, also these objectives are secret so both armies are unsure what the other is out to achieve, it might be eliminate all enemy officers without loosing any of your own, take and hold for x turns the building X cm in the enemy depolyment zone, these we quite fun to play and there was two of most of them in the pack so you could be trying achieve the same objective without realising it  ;D  I'll try and dig them out for you if you want them.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 09:44:16 AM »
I'd like to see the objective cards if you don't mind =)

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline semai99

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 09:51:14 AM »
I'd like to see the objective cards if you don't mind =)

-PFC joe

No problem I've moved house since I last played so I'll have to rummage around in a couple of boxes to find them, I can't wait to play again my mates having the cellar converted into a gaming room which will hold a 12' x 6' table  ;D so plently of Warzone, battletech and other games to be played again now we have somewhere big enough to play. :D