Author Topic: Preferred rules sets?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline rcb

Preferred rules sets?
« on: August 19, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »
Had just ran across my old Mishima army. Really enjoyed the game. After Target went under, of course the game fell apart. After reading what all has happened, I thought I might try to play it again (Gen Con does that to people as well, hahahaha) Anyhow, is "Ultimate Warzone" the preferred rules set out there? Obviously when I had stopped, 2nd ed had recently come out. I remember Bauhaus stopping all over everyone. I have been reading on these forums and seems like most do, just trying to get a handle on the UWZ rules.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
Re: Preferred rules sets?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 04:24:18 PM »
Ultimate Warzone is really the best version out there. 

I see the rulebooks on E-Bay for $35 on a pretty regular basis, so copies can still be found. 

As for balance, UWZ gets it closer than the previous two editions.   Bauhaus still has at least some advantage over the other factions, but it is no longer a case of showing up with a B-Hause army and being guaranteed a win.   Personally, I think that scenario design can be used to balance out the game to the point where every army is competitive. 

For instance, Bauhaus will win almost every open field battle.  However, putting a Vulkan squad in the middle of a crowded cityscape against Mishima is likely to be a bloody battle!   

My .02...
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Kratach

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:22:26 AM »
I agree with MadBrad, Ultimate WZ is the best of the 3 sets. I loved the unit variety and fluff of 1st edition but it had some serious balance problems  ::) I hate 2nd edition with a passion - imo they crippled the close combat type troops and wiped out most of the distinctness between the corporations. On the other hand, UWZ does a nice job overall with balance and variety  ;)

Still, I do miss the Dog Soldiers and the Barking Spyders  ;D
It IS as bad as you think it is and they ARE out to get you!!!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »
The others echo that mantra, well.  ;)   Play with lots of terrain and a balanced force, and barring horrific dice rolls, the better tactics should win.  UWZ is the current iteration, and is a lot of fun.  The FAQ is readily available on the forums, and there are a plethora of folks willing to help those who ask.

Welcome!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »
**** Just noticed!  Welcome to the Member Emeritus Club for Men, MadBrad! ****
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline rcb

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
Thanks for the input. My brother and I were both surprised to find out about UWZ. The last either of us had heard, it was just coming into 2nd ed when everything collapsed. Then there was the video game that went no where and I did see the movie. I still like the setting and would like to break some of these minis out of storage, hahaha.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
**** Just noticed!  Welcome to the Member Emeritus Club for Men, MadBrad! ****

Thanks Dave!   I may not be as prolific a poster as many, but I guess that being around forever has finally allowed me to reach Emeritus status.
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline rcb

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:27:36 AM »
Thanks! Ill check that out. I'd love to have a simple game like that

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 10:10:31 PM »
I recently approached to the game and I had to choose which set of rules use. After a DEEP and LONG analysis, me and my friends chose 1ed rules and we'll never come back. No other edition gave us the variety, specific identity for each corporation, chance to customize your units, flexibility in your army list (UWZ rosters are a cage of rules, c'mon), chance to play with few minis, and fastness of play, than the 1ed. In my humble opinion, 2ed was the worst, even if I recognize it the best looking manuals so far.